Why Do Democrats Oppose Voter ID?

Utterly absurd. The verification is the prospective voter's sworn statement.
How is the state going to verify that the presented verification of address is not fake?

So now you want an FBI background check on every prospective voter to verify the address? At some point no matter how you do it - someone is taking someone's word for it.

You do realize that don't you?

So if that proves your point - then you have been arguing against address requirements ???

Odd.
I am okay with tightening up voter registration. That will actually have an impact on voter fraud.

I am also okay with a proper purging of voter registration rolls. This will remove the deceased and those who have moved out of the voting district. Key word: proper. Some of the purges have been done incompetently. But when done properly, this will prevent someone voting in a deceased or relocated person's name.

I also like the electronic system that has been put in place in several states that keeps track of when someone has voted so if they try to vote in more than one place, it triggers an alert. This has actually caught fraudsters.

Not only am I okay with these things, I think we should be doing them in earnest.

Voter ID has not done shit. It is a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Why in the WORLD do we need voter registration at all. You show up where you are supposed to vote, you show your ID and poof you're okay to vote. The idea of voter registration is obsolete.

In fact, I wish they would go further and do away with polling places altogether. Vote online says I.

Allow me to repeat myself - that is not the only way to verify voting qualifications. And since there are other - less restrictive ways - then disqualifying a person from voting because they are homeless is not a legitimate restriction on voting rights.

For example a person can register in one, and only one, precinct and only be allowed to vote in the precinct they register in.

Homeless man: "I usually sleep under the bridge at 57th and 14th streets.
Election official: "Ok, that's precinct 98. That is your voting precinct and you'll vote at the King Community Center on 58th. You know where that is? Now, we're going to print your voter registration/voter ID (with photo). It will take about 15 minutes."

Too many people have fought and died to secure the right to vote for all Americans for us to just piss that away for no legitimate reason.

I disagree. I think a person should EARN the right to vote. Would I make "have a home" a requirement? No, but for sure most homeless wouldn't meet my requirements.

Have you ever noticed that people who select a screen name that attests to their intelligence are some of the most idiotic posters on these boards.

I guess it just goes to show you ... you don't have to try to TELL people you are intelligent. If you really ARE intelligent, they'll know.

So, you can't refute the fact that requiring an ID to buy a gun but complaining about ID to vote is hypocritical eh?

Allow me to repeat myself - that is not the only way to verify voting qualifications. And since there are other - less restrictive ways - then disqualifying a person from voting because they are homeless is not a legitimate restriction on voting rights.

For example a person can register in one, and only one, precinct and only be allowed to vote in the precinct they register in.

Homeless man: "I usually sleep under the bridge at 57th and 14th streets.
Election official: "Ok, that's precinct 98. That is your voting precinct and you'll vote at the King Community Center on 58th. You know where that is? Now, we're going to print your voter registration/voter ID (with photo). It will take about 15 minutes."

Too many people have fought and died to secure the right to vote for all Americans for us to just piss that away for no legitimate reason.

I disagree. I think a person should EARN the right to vote. Would I make "have a home" a requirement? No, but for sure most homeless wouldn't meet my requirements.

Have you ever noticed that people who select a screen name that attests to their intelligence are some of the most idiotic posters on these boards.

I guess it just goes to show you ... you don't have to try to TELL people you are intelligent. If you really ARE intelligent, they'll know.

So, you can't refute the fact that requiring an ID to buy a gun but complaining about ID to vote is hypocritical eh?

Hey Einstein - I never said anything about opposing voter ID and I certainly never mentioned anything about buying guns.

What a dumbass

"Yes... because being able to vote because you can claim your name is Joe and live under the 82nd street bridge is just as secure and requiring a state-issued photo ID with an address."

How are YOU going to verify that the ID, or any of the documentation presented to obtain that ID, is not fraudulent?

"Why Do Democrats Oppose Voter ID?"

Because there's no objective, documented evidence that voter fraud by identity exists to the extent that the outcome of any election was changed.

Because voters provide identification when they register to vote, where to require voters to 'prove' who they are at every election absent evidence that a given voter is indeed attempting to commit fraud, assumes the voter is 'guilty' and must prove himself innocent. That's not how our legal system works.

And because of the above, voter ID laws manifest an undue burden to the fundamental right to vote, as the state has failed to meet its requirement to justify placing restrictions on that right, rendering voter ID laws invalid and un-Constitutional.

6 Supreme Court Justices disagree with you.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court said Saturday that Texas can use its controversial new voter identification law for the November election.

A majority of the justices rejected an emergency request from the Justice Department and civil rights groups to prohibit the state from requiring voters to produce certain forms of photo identification in order to cast ballots.

"Yes... because being able to vote because you can claim your name is Joe and live under the 82nd street bridge is just as secure and requiring a state-issued photo ID with an address."
How are YOU going to verify that the ID, or any of the documentation presented to obtain that ID, is not fraudulent?
Let me put it another way:
It is several orders of magnitude more difficult to fake a current state ID than to claim you are Joe form the 82nd street bridge.
Care to honestly disagree?

Alo, I haven't seen you offer a sound counter to the premise that...
The state has a compelling interest in protecting the right to vote; the meaningful right to vote is predicated on every voter being who they say they are and voting in accordance with where they live. To that end, the state can and absolutely should require that you prove you are who you say you are when you live where you say you live, both when you show up to vote and, absolutely, when you register to vote. If this ever changes, as you apparently hope it does, then everyone's right to vote is diminished.

Does a liquor store ask for ID because they don't want to sell liquor to one who can legally buy liquor?

Or is the law in place that they must ask for ID to ensure one who can NOT legally buy liquor, does not do so?

Do you believe that people who can legally buy liquor, do not because they don't want to go through the hassle of showing ID?

Would you say the law that was passed that insisted on liquor stores asking for ID was designed to suppress liquor sales to those that can legally buy liquor?
Texas AG and Gov candidate Greg Abbott can buy liquor with his ID, but can't vote with it:

"Abbott was flagged because his license lists his name as “Gregory Wayne Abbott” while his voter registration record simply calls him “Greg Abbott."

"

Surely you're not suggesting Abbott wasn't allowed to vote.
By his own law, he would have been disenfranchised, for that election, if not for an amendment offered by Wendy Davis, who was also blocked from voting, that would allow other documents as proof that the different names applied to the same people,

My 94 year old mother, who has voted
republican in every election since WWII, was blocked from voting by this law, even though the local election judge knew her quite well.

Her amendment allowed a person to sign an affidavit to verify their identity. Which is all your dear old Mother had to do to vote.

Does a liquor store ask for ID because they don't want to sell liquor to one who can legally buy liquor?

Or is the law in place that they must ask for ID to ensure one who can NOT legally buy liquor, does not do so?

Do you believe that people who can legally buy liquor, do not because they don't want to go through the hassle of showing ID?

Would you say the law that was passed that insisted on liquor stores asking for ID was designed to suppress liquor sales to those that can legally buy liquor?
Texas AG and Gov candidate Greg Abbott can buy liquor with his ID, but can't vote with it:

"Abbott was flagged because his license lists his name as “Gregory Wayne Abbott” while his voter registration record simply calls him “Greg Abbott."

"

By his own law, he would have been disenfranchised, for that election, if not for an amendment offered by Wendy Davis, who was also blocked from voting, that would allow other documents as proof that the different names applied to the same people,

republican in every election since WWII, was blocked from voting by this law, even though the local election judge knew her quite well.

Her amendment allowed a person to sign an affidavit to verify their identity. Which is all your dear old Mother had to do to vote.

Pretty much the same thing (sign an affidavit) that would allow homeless people to vote.

Oh, the horror ....

Still going with the Apples and Oranges Fallacy? Really?
Still using the cop out by saying it is apples and oranges without backing it up, I see.
That twice in one thread....and over a dozen times in the past few weeks.

I get tired of explaining the stupidity of that liquor ID bullshit. And I have explained it several times in the past few weeks.

But I guess you willfully blind yourself to avoid seeing how stupid the argument is.

There is only one way to prove someone is of age at the point of purchase for liquor, and that is with an ID.

Got it? Has that sunk in? Don't let it slide off your brain as I add some more explanation. Hold onto that. I'll say it again. There is only one way to prove someone is of age at the point of purchase for liquor, and that is with an ID.

So there is your Apple.

Here's the Orange: Voter ID has never been proven, not even once, to be the only means to stop or prevent the types of voter fraud which occur.

Let's put those two statements together so you can write them down. And let's color-code them and make them real big so you can't say I avoid splainin the fallacy of your argument:

Apple: There is only one way to prove someone is of age at the point of purchase for liquor, and that is with an ID.

Orange: Voter ID has never been proven, not even once, to be the only means to stop or prevent the types of voter fraud which occur.

Now copy this down. Write it on a Post-It Note and stick it on your computer so you never, ever make this ridiculous mistake again.
you truly are an asshole.
You explained nothing.

You simply stated your position on voter ID.

Now...I will state fact without stating my position....

ID is required to buy liquor so one who can not legally buy liquor, is unable to buy liquor.

ID is required to vote so one who can not legally vote under someone elses name is uable to vote under someone elses name.

Now....sure....we can get into the debate about whether or not it will stamp out voter ID. I believe it wont. But it sure will help. I mean, it does not have to be 100%....

SO then the question comes into play....is it worth it if it does very little?

A viable debate. One I will engage in with debaters....not an USMB asshole troll like you.

They are not apples and oranges asshole. The facts are identical.....

SO take your arrogant asshole attitude somewhere else. You cant hold a candle to me in these debates.

"

Pretty much the same thing (sign an affidavit) that would allow homeless people to vote.

Oh, the horror ....

In Texas homeless people do not need to live in a shelter to register to vote, they can be living on the street. No mailing address is required.

An interesting dissection of what is really behind the Democrats obsession with voter ID's!

Lots of folks think Democrats oppose voter ID laws because they want to cheat and such laws interfere with their plans. That’s an attractive explanation, but it ignores the far more complex architecture of voter ID opposition. Here’s the real reasons Democrats oppose voter ID. Understanding these three reasons will help you decode the whole narrative behind voter ID. 1. Opposition to Voter ID Is a Base-Mobilization Tool. Simply, Democrats and civil rights groups spend millions of dollars opposing voter ID because they are trying to scare minority voters into thinking that Jim Crow is back. If Jim Crow is...

The PJ Tatler Why Do Democrats Oppose Voter ID

The same reason why tweens don't write letters to Santa Claus. They now know he doesn't exist.

"

Oh, the horror ....

In Texas homeless people do not need to live in a shelter to register to vote, they can be living on the street. No mailing address is required.

I believe Texas got that part right.

I don't have any problems with voter IDs - photo or otherwise. But I think they should be free and easily obtainable for all classes of citizens - even the homeless.

Oh, the horror ....

I don't have any problems with voter IDs - photo or otherwise. But I think they should be free and easily obtainable for all classes of citizens - even the homeless.

They are absolutely free here in Texas and I assume the same is in every state that requires them.

Seriously how many people do you know personally that does not have some form of photo ID?

"

Republican intent was to send her packing, with no options, which is what would have happened without the Davis amendment. As it was, she had no idea this would happen, and not all election officials had a clue. She thinks she was given a provisional ballot, and it was counted. I don't think it was counted.

The intent was voter suppression, clear and simple.

You see this post, Jarhead? You still reading this topic?

I explain and explain and explain the Apples and Oranges fallacy, even use big colorful text and everything, and within ONE PAGE another retard comes along and commits the exact same fallacy!

Fucking Whack-A-Mole around here...

Oh, the horror ....

They are absolutely free here in Texas and I assume the same is in every state that requires them.

Seriously how many people do you know personally that does not have some form of photo ID?

IMHO: it doesn't matter what anecdotal evidence we can produce about who does and who doesn't have a photo ID.

The point is that many people have fought and died to preserve the right to vote for EVERY American. I oppose any effort to piss their sacrifice away because one party or the other wants to game the system to gain power.

Anything that has the potential of denying the right to vote to any American (without due process... yada yada ...) has to be looked at very carefully to ensure that it is completely neutral in terms of race, religion, economic status, party affiliation, etc ...

I think a photo voter registration card/voter ID card can be administered in a way that doesn't unduly restrict voting rights and they can be implemented in a way that does. As most always - the devil is in the details.

Oh, the horror ....

by absolutely free, I suppose you mean that a Texas official and a photographer come to the applicant's home, at state expense, to take the picture and fill out the forms, additionally waiving the cost for obtaining duplicate birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce certificates, name changes, and other necessary info.

You still have to spend time and expense to go and get one.

And are they free like the roads? Ask me to tell you about a crackhead and free roads some time. You sound just like him.

Those "free" IDs cost taxpayer dollars, dipshit.

I bet if you lived in a minority community, you would know a lot of them. If you lived in a senior community, you probably would know quite a few, too.

Just because you personally don't know any people who don't have a valid Voter ID means jack shit.

There are elderly citizens who do not have a current ID. I provided an example of a WWII veteran who was not allowed to vote because his VA card was not good enough, and he did not have any other current ID.

Hey, why don't you post some more examples of voter fraud in states that have Voter ID? BWA-HA-HA-HA!

"

Republican intent was to send her packing, with no options, which is what would have happened without the Davis amendment. As it was, she had no idea this would happen, and not all election officials had a clue. She thinks she was given a provisional ballot, and it was counted. I don't think it was counted.

The intent was voter suppression, clear and simple.

No the intent is to promote electoral integrity.

To claim that it disenfranchises anyone or is intended to suppress votes is dishonest and quite frankly racist.

Seems you liberals don't think to highly of minorities. You think they are too incompetent to acquire a free voter ID card.

I have no idea what your first sentence means. Davis will not be sent packing, she will return to whatever rock she crawled out from.

Forum List

Back