Why Do Democrats Love Raising The Minimum Wage?

No no no no no boys. Thats not why the Democrats love raising minimum wage. This is why:

By doing so, they'll force the evil, greedy rich CEO's to pay the poor bottom level employees more, thus allowing those brave grocery baggers and french fry cooks to live better lives. And by forcing the CEO's to pay them more, the CEO's will in turn say "DANG IT I gotta pay them more. Oh well, I guess I'll pay them more, and keep all other operations, staffing and product pricing exactly as is and just cut the net difference out of my yearly pay."

Um........yeah, thats exactly how it goes too.

Obama has people working under him that believe in Zero Profit.

Remember....Profits are EVIL!!! [unless they're your profits....then they're ok]

Answer: They don't care about high unemployment.

Why is this?

Because helping some special interest groups out is more important to Democrats then keeping down unemployment

They raise minimum wage generally around a desperate election cycle or least talk about it so they can reap the pity when is does not pass, either way they get the full support from millions of Sheep that can vote.

The minimum wage has been going down for 40 years, in real dollars:

570px-History_of_US_federal_minimum_wage_increases.svg.png

What else do you want to cry about?

No no no no no boys. Thats not why the Democrats love raising minimum wage. This is why:

By doing so, they'll force the evil, greedy rich CEO's to pay the poor bottom level employees more, thus allowing those brave grocery baggers and french fry cooks to live better lives. And by forcing the CEO's to pay them more, the CEO's will in turn say "DANG IT I gotta pay them more. Oh well, I guess I'll pay them more, and keep all other operations, staffing and product pricing exactly as is and just cut the net difference out of my yearly pay."

Um........yeah, thats exactly how it goes too.

Obama has people working under him that believe in Zero Profit.

Remember....Profits are EVIL!!! [unless they're your profits....then they're ok]
No they believe that everyone should have the same amount of money, just that they as the elites should have the most for their 'services to the nation'. In communist regimes the military and government elite had the best food, living conditions and everything, while everyone else starved or lived in poverty. ;)

After college, I had trouble finding that good paying job for 3-4 years. I worked what I knew: Low paying, entry level jobs. Even bagged groceries and worked in a warehouse stocking shelves a bit. It did those in high school, and although I had a degree, I knew those jobs weren't below me until something better came along.

That is a trait of a lot of young people these days though. The world owes them everything right now. They are smarter than everyone else, deserve a job doing something really important and fun and high paying right now. Today's youth haven't had their egoes checked or worked the tough jobs growing up. Thats a problem in our country.

Out of curiosity, and this unrelated to the rest of this thread, were you looking at any student loan debt when you graduated?

what i made in minimum wage in the late 70's 'could buy more', than what a high school kid earns now in minimum wage...

why shouldn't a kid working today be able to buy, all that i could buy back then when i made minimum wage, for the same job done or even a more productive job done? (productivity has been improving so the minimum wage worker today is probably producing more)

regardless, most States do a fine job with regulating their own State minimum wage....there are only a handful of states that have no minimum wage in the law of their own state....and this is who are being governed by federal laws.

Fuel prices affect the entire economy and businesses more, than a few minimum wage earners and the ones slightly above that, (about 6% of all workers from all i've read).

I worked minimum wafe jobs in the 70s for $2.10 an hour. For that wage I was able to pay for my entire college tuition or I could have bought a new car

At $7 an hour today, you can't come close to doing that

And kids need the work experience as teenagers. They need to do crappy jobs, get their ego knocked a bit, so they won't feel any job is beneath them when they are in their 20's and not yet climbing the job ladder.

But most don't get that anymore. And they become 25 year old left wing Obama voters who think they deserve a 100K job right out of college just because they got some left wing lectures and blogged about how smart they are for 5 years.

Yes. Basic entry level jobs serve a purpose in teaching basic jobs skills: show up on time sober and ready to work. Without those skills everything else is pretty much impossible.
And the stats are that most people who take min wage jobs don't stay there for long. As their skills improve they get raises and move up the ladder.

After college, I had trouble finding that good paying job for 3-4 years. I worked what I knew: Low paying, entry level jobs. Even bagged groceries and worked in a warehouse stocking shelves a bit. It did those in high school, and although I had a degree, I knew those jobs weren't below me until something better came along.

That is a trait of a lot of young people these days though. The world owes them everything right now. They are smarter than everyone else, deserve a job doing something really important and fun and high paying right now. Today's youth haven't had their egoes checked or worked the tough jobs growing up. Thats a problem in our country.

Kids aren't smarter then the rest of us. The education standards today are much lower then they were in our day. Many kids are pushed out the door without the ability to read or write at a reasonable level.

Somebody here posted a test that grade schoolers needed to take and most of us couldn't answer half of the questions. What they assumed was basic knowledge then now you have to wait till college to learn. Seems kids know about polar bears and global warming along with projectile vomiting...but they seem to be a bit lacking in English comp, math, and science. And whats worse many are unaware of history. Important events have been buried. The formation of this country has been turned into a series of embarrassing events geared toward making white males look evil and stupid.

You also forget the simple fact that life experiences are a learning tool....something that kids have yet to go through. I would point to their massive support of Obama in the last election as proof they don't know what they're doing. They fell for the hype and that incompetent boob snuck in. Many of them in retrospect feel they made a serious mistake now.

Last edited:
what i made in minimum wage in the late 70's 'could buy more', than what a high school kid earns now in minimum wage...

why shouldn't a kid working today be able to buy, all that i could buy back then when i made minimum wage, for the same job done or even a more productive job done? (productivity has been improving so the minimum wage worker today is probably producing more)

regardless, most States do a fine job with regulating their own State minimum wage....there are only a handful of states that have no minimum wage in the law of their own state....and this is who are being governed by federal laws.

Fuel prices affect the entire economy and businesses more, than a few minimum wage earners and the ones slightly above that, (about 6% of all workers from all i've read).

Why shouldn't a kid today make the same wage as the CEO of a major company? Why not raise it to $200/hr? If $8 is good, then surely 200 is better. That would really make it a living wage!
Of course the choice is not between jobs at $2/hr and jobs at $8/hr/ The choice is between jobs at $2/hr and no job at all. No job at all is precisely what 20% of teenagers (and about 40% of black teenagers) have now thanks to min wage policies. How this is helping anyone other than unions and Democrats is beyond me.

During that same time period, minimum wage has tripled while CEO pay is at 100 times what it was in the 70s

Minimum wage law strikes heaviest at those with the least education and the young.

In other words, the point of the minimum wage is to make as many unemployed minorities as you can get away with.

Why shouldn't a kid today make the same wage as the CEO of a major company? Why not raise it to $200/hr? If $8 is good, then surely 200 is better. That would really make it a living wage!
Of course the choice is not between jobs at $2/hr and jobs at $8/hr/ The choice is between jobs at $2/hr and no job at all. No job at all is precisely what 20% of teenagers (and about 40% of black teenagers) have now thanks to min wage policies. How this is helping anyone other than unions and Democrats is beyond me.

During that same time period, minimum wage has tripled while CEO pay is at 100 times what it was in the 70s

Link

to be honest, kids always have the highest unemployment rate.

That's true. But comparing apples to apples would show that every time the min wage is raised, their unemployment rate goes up.

Can you prove that?

Minimum wage has been going up since 07'. Watch what has happened during that time:

multimediafinal

House Passes Increase in Minimum Wage to $7.25
Measure Gets Support of 82 Republicans; Senate to Take Up Own Bill This Month

By Jonathan Weisman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 11, 2007

The House yesterday overwhelmingly approved the first increase in the federal minimum wage in nearly a decade, boosting the wages of the lowest-paid American workers from $5.15 to $7.25 an hour over the next two years.

The 315 to 116 vote could begin the process of ending Congress's longest stretch without a minimum-wage increase since the mandatory minimum was created in 1938. In the past decade, inflation has depleted the value of the minimum wage to the lowest level in more than 50 years.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/10/AR2007011001666.html

I'm waiting for the first idiot to blame this all on the Repugs.

Last edited:
The House yesterday overwhelmingly approved the first increase in the federal minimum wage in nearly a decade, boosting the wages of the lowest-paid American workers from $5.15 to $7.25 an hour over the next two years.

The reality is, if your labor is only worth 5.15, the minimum wage rise will change your wage situation from 5.15 to zero, not from 5.15 to 7.25

somehow the liberal mindset is that is it is better to be a ward of the state rather than to have a low wage.

When I first started working, I got zapped by two minimum wage hikes. Both times, the place I was working shut down, as the place couldn't make it with the higher minimum wage. The first time, 20 people lost jobs, the second time 15 people lost jobs. And two families lost their business.

Back when I was working for the bank, they had a cafeteria. The folks in the cafeteria got minimum wage, and there were about 30 of them. They raised the minimum wage here in Oregon, and the day of the minimum wage hike, the cafeteria shut down.

Since I ate a lot of means there as it was nice and cheap, it meant I had to go outside for my meals, where they were more expensive.

I don't see how anyone gained by that little exercise.

And? So? The ability of a CEO to generate billions of dollars in profits for his company is well worth his pay scale.
But so what? Unless you are playing the class envy card. Again.

The reality is, if your labor is only worth 5.15, the minimum wage rise will change your wage situation from 5.15 to zero, not from 5.15 to 7.25

somehow the liberal mindset is that is it is better to be a ward of the state rather than to have a low wage.

When I first started working, I got zapped by two minimum wage hikes. Both times, the place I was working shut down, as the place couldn't make it with the higher minimum wage. The first time, 20 people lost jobs, the second time 15 people lost jobs. And two families lost their business.

Back when I was working for the bank, they had a cafeteria. The folks in the cafeteria got minimum wage, and there were about 30 of them. They raised the minimum wage here in Oregon, and the day of the minimum wage hike, the cafeteria shut down.

Since I ate a lot of means there as it was nice and cheap, it meant I had to go outside for my meals, where they were more expensive.

I don't see how anyone gained by that little exercise.

And this is why surveys purporting to show that incresaes in min wage don't affect unemployment are wrong. They fail to take into account survivorship bias because they cannot survey businesses that don't exist anymore.

And? So? The ability of a CEO to generate billions of dollars in profits for his company is well worth his pay scale.
But so what? Unless you are playing the class envy card. Again.

The CEO is not contributing more than the CEOs of the 70's. In fact, their performance has declined as more business is moving overseas. Yet, somehow......Asian and European CEOs who are stealing business from American corporations make a more modest salary

Greed is driving CEO salaries...not performance

Forum List

Back