Why Do Democrats Love Raising The Minimum Wage?

what i made in minimum wage in the late 70's 'could buy more', than what a high school kid earns now in minimum wage...

why shouldn't a kid working today be able to buy, all that i could buy back then when i made minimum wage, for the same job done or even a more productive job done?

Yeah, my heart bleeds for the teenager who couldn't afford a cell phone plan with a 5000 text/month minimum.

I paid all my College tuition on $2.10 an hour over the summer. Lets see a kid do that on minimum wage now

If your labor produces $6 in revenue, and you cost $8, they can't keep you. If the legislature says you either get paid $8 or not at all, the result is you won't get paid at all.

True, but you must have some minimum math ability to grasp your point, which eliminates 90% of the voting public, and 100% of the Media.

Easier to understand is: "Vote for me: I will raise your minimum wage."

An example of the simpleton's understanding:

Naw, the CEOs just hire illegals and know they won't be held responsible.

Why shouldn't a kid today make the same wage as the CEO of a major company? Why not raise it to $200/hr? If $8 is good, then surely 200 is better. That would really make it a living wage!
Of course the choice is not between jobs at $2/hr and jobs at $8/hr/ The choice is between jobs at $2/hr and no job at all. No job at all is precisely what 20% of teenagers (and about 40% of black teenagers) have now thanks to min wage policies. How this is helping anyone other than unions and Democrats is beyond me.

strawman!

i had given you the benefit of the doubt, but it looks like i was wrong to do such, you are an idiot...
Do you even understand what a strawman argument is? I doubt it, based on this post.
I ask a question: If $8/hr is good, then why not 15? Why not 50? We want to give people a "living wage" do we not?

Yes ...simple Rabbi logic

Asking for $1.50 an hour more is the same as asking $50 an hour......if you give them an extra buck, where will it stop?

As usual. Republicans give a big Fuck-you to those struggling to earn a living. That is why they blocked minimum wage over the last 20 years and why it has lost so much spending power

what i made in minimum wage in the late 70's 'could buy more', than what a high school kid earns now in minimum wage...

why shouldn't a kid working today be able to buy, all that i could buy back then when i made minimum wage, for the same job done or even a more productive job done?

Yeah, my heart bleeds for the teenager who couldn't afford a cell phone plan with a 5000 text/month minimum.

I paid all my College tuition on $2.10 an hour over the summer. Lets see a kid do that on minimum wage now

Are you saying College Tuition Costs are too high? Then why not cap them instead of raising EVERYONE'S cost of labor??

Oh you're probably talking STATE College......well, we shan't cap their budget.....that would be completely irrational......after all they're part of the government.

That is why they blocked minimum wage over the last 20 years and why it has lost so much spending power

:eusa_eh:

um...the minimum wage has risen over the last 20 years, and THAT is why it has lost "So Much Spending Power"

You get it, whether or not you are worth it.

Last edited:
strawman!

i had given you the benefit of the doubt, but it looks like i was wrong to do such, you are an idiot...
Do you even understand what a strawman argument is? I doubt it, based on this post.
I ask a question: If $8/hr is good, then why not 15? Why not 50? We want to give people a "living wage" do we not?

Asking for $1.50 an hour more is the same as asking $50 an hour......if you give them an extra buck, where will it stop?

As usual. Republicans give a big Fuck-you to those struggling to earn a living. That is why they blocked minimum wage over the last 20 years and why it has lost so much spending power

It is of course Democrats saying Fuck You to people who want to work but can't find a job because their entry level job skills are worth only $5 an hour and min wage is higher than that, pricing them out of the market.
The choice is not jobs at $2/hr vs jobs at $8/hr. It is jobs at $2/hr vs welfare dependence. Guess which one the Dems prefer?
Of course, because they are the Party of Fuck You.

Are you saying College Tuition Costs are too high? Then why not cap them instead of raising EVERYONE'S cost of labor??

Oh you're probably talking STATE College......well, we shan't cap their budget.....that would be completely irrational......after all they're part of the government.

Its not just college costs.....its every expense has risen many times more than the minimum wage. Education, energy, transportation, healthcare, rent

And since all lower tier wages are linked to minimum, it affects all working poor

Its not just college costs.....its every expense has risen many times more than the minimum wage. Education, energy, transportation, healthcare, rent

And since all lower tier wages are linked to minimum, it affects all working poor

Well, Obviously, "all lower tier wages are linked to minimum, it affects all working poor."

Thus the definition of "working poor."

But why have all these other costs risen?

Could it be that the Dollar is worth less?

Why is the Dollar worth less?

Could it be, that the Government Spends More than it "Earns," so the money it prints is devalued?

Maybe, instead of raising the minimum wage to "keep up with inflation" the government may spend less?

Oh, again, I apologise......I suppose I've entered the twilight zone again.....:doubt:

It is of course Democrats saying Fuck You to people who want to work but can't find a job because their entry level job skills are worth only $5 an hour and min wage is higher than that, pricing them out of the market.
The choice is not jobs at $2/hr vs jobs at $8/hr. It is jobs at $2/hr vs welfare dependence. Guess which one the Dems prefer?
Of course, because they are the Party of Fuck You.

Nice try Rabbi

Unfortunately, the GOP has tried that one for decades as justification for holding down minimum wage. The facts do not support a direct correlation to minimum wage pay and availability of minimum wage jobs.

It is more correlated to the economy at the time. And regardless of the state of the economy, Republicans always said Fuck-you to raising minimum wage

Tuition at private universities is also out of control, although they tend to offer more generous financial aid packages than public universities. Still even those don't quite bridge the gap.

Tuition at private universities is also out of control, although they tend to offer more generous financial aid packages than public universities. Still even those don't quite bridge the gap.

Do you really think a guy making minimum wage would go to a private university?

You may as well complain about the outrageous costs of a new Mercedes.

The price of tuition has gone up exponentially since you and I were in school.

If he can get in, he might well be better off financially going to a private university over a public university (even in-state) because, as I said, even though the tuition is higher, the benefit packages are often more generous, particularly the further down the economic ladder one is.

If he can get in, he might well be better off financially going to a private university over a public university (even in-state) because, as I said, even though the tuition is higher, the benefit packages are often more generous, particularly the further down the economic ladder one is.

There's probably a point here, but I'm not going to try to ferret it out.

No no no no no boys. Thats not why the Democrats love raising minimum wage. This is why:

By doing so, they'll force the evil, greedy rich CEO's to pay the poor bottom level employees more, thus allowing those brave grocery baggers and french fry cooks to live better lives. And by forcing the CEO's to pay them more, the CEO's will in turn say "DANG IT I gotta pay them more. Oh well, I guess I'll pay them more, and keep all other operations, staffing and product pricing exactly as is and just cut the net difference out of my yearly pay."

Um........yeah, thats exactly how it goes too.

When employees wages are mandatorily raised by government regulation--employers lay off workers--(especially temporary or part time workers) to save on payroll costs. That is a FACT.

GEEZ--you liberals really need to take an economics 101 class one of these days. In fact, they should make it mandatory in high school.

Why do conservatives give tax breaks and tax cuts to the wealthy buisness owners who fuck up the conomy, auto industry? Why should the rich get more money than they already have when minimum wage level workers do more work than rich people?

Why do conservatives give tax breaks and tax cuts to the wealthy buisness owners who fuck up the conomy, auto industry? Why should the rich get more money than they already have when minimum wage level workers do more work than rich people?

Most rich people were at one time minimum wage workers themselves. Spend more time outworking your peers rather than bitching about your wealthy boss, and who knows, maybe you'll be rich one day too.

And we give tax breaks for the rich because the rich people and companies of this country are the ones paying all the employees.

Besides, the rich pay FAR more in taxes than anyone else in this country. They pay a far higher % of their income, and a far higher total net amount of $$ in taxes than the rest of us.

I don't hate the rich. I sometimes envy them. I often admire them. I always strive to one day become one of them.

:razz: OH BOY I can't wait to dig into this classic post! Here goes:

Yes, all things seem to be getting costlier. Lets examine those you listed-

Education- Well, yes, it's gotten more expensive. The flood of illegal immigrants that our public schools must now educate has gotten expensive. The costly contracts of teacher unions that we must honor are draining us. As the states must spend more and more on public grade schools for those two reasons, they can afford to give less and less to their state university school systems. Thus, colleges are making up the difference by raising tuition.

Energy/Transportation- Yes, energy is getting expensive. Environmental legislation (such as emission standards) has caused electric companies to raise the prices of energy to comply. South Carolina Electric and Gas just jacked rates 11% in SC to offset the costs of upgrading their plants to meet federal environmental standards. Cap and trade would add even more to that. And gasoline prices? Well, the LARGEST winner in gas prices is the government, as the government collects more % of $ per gallon than any other source. Cutting the gas taxes would offset a lot of the gas price burden on us all.......but of course, thats just not gonna happen.

Healthcare- Again, we are paying for ER visits that illegal aliens make for a runny nose, a headache, a sore throat, a scratch, etc, etc, etc. And of course, the serious health issues they have that the ER must treat by federal law. Those bills go unpaid. The hospitals must recoup their losses, so they charge the rest of us insured folks a massive bill to make up for it. Insurance rates thus skyrocket along with medical prices.

Healthcare part 2- The liberal dream of "live how you want today, forget tomorrow" and "If it feels good, do it!" has resulted in a population that is fat, lazy and often addicted to substances. Bad for health. High demand for treatment. Equals high price.

Rent- This is a good one you brought up, as I agree it's expensive. Not often talked about either. 25-30 years ago, the demand for apartments was lower. Rent was lower. Owning a home was the big dream. That has changed. Demand for rent went up. A flood of illegals renting apartments created a lot of fill-in in the apartment industry, resulting in great capacity for some complexes, up to 95%, which is awesome business. But then, the illegals started living 5, 10, 15 to an apartment made for a 2 bedroom. Apartments had to offset this. So, they raised rent. If 10 were gonna live in a 2 bedroom, rent just went up. Now the market is set at those prices, and they arent coming back down.

You're gonna say nonsense, but in the apartment industry, complexes try to stay close to each other, like gas companies, to prevent "rent wars" of people constantly moving around to the lowest bidder. Once a group of complexes in areas high with illegal aliens realized 10-15 were living in a 1-2 bedroom place, they jacked rent up to make up for lost revenue they would've gotten had they lived 2 per apt. This set a local standard, and it occurred nationwide, so rent just went higher and higher and higher as people kept paying it.

So you see, there is a common link. The liberal ideology is like a cancer to an economy.

First of all your asking a question based on false rhetoric.

Nobody gets a tax break for fucking up the economy.....except maybe Congress. Congress gives themselves all kinds of breaks at the same time they're making laws that are destroying the economy in favor of their special interest groups.

Sometimes in order to keep a large company competitive with companies outside the US you have to cut them a little slack. Several things happen to companies when you raise their taxes. One of them is that they tend to move wherever taxes are lower. If profit wasn't important they wouldn't care. But because the competition can charge customers less because their overhead is lower they lose business if they don't do something to cut costs.

The number one cost-cutting measure any company uses is cutting back on employees however. So cutting taxes on companies ether creates or saves jobs....unlike the stupid spending programs that folks like Obama believe in. So a tax increase not only costs jobs but also causes a loss in revenue because more people are out of work and less people have money to spend.

That's why you try to keep taxes low for companies. Raise taxes during tough times and it's a recipe for disaster. The Democrats in Washington are beginning to realize this now.

Last edited:
The Democrats rally around minimum wage for about the same reason that the Republicans rally around lower taxes.

You couldn't figure that out by yourself?

Forum List

Back