Why Do Democrats Love Raising The Minimum Wage?

Minimum wage has been going up since 07'. Watch what has happened during that time:

multimediafinal

Wow. I can't tell if you're suggesting the deepest recession in the post-Depression era is due to a minimum wage increase or you're just completely ignoring that event in your, uh, "analysis."

Any convenient scapegoat except for incompetance by the Bush administration

I'm surprised it is now minimum wage that drove the recession. Up until now it has been Barney Frank and a Democratic Congress

During that same time period, minimum wage has tripled while CEO pay is at 100 times what it was in the 70s

And? So? The ability of a CEO to generate billions of dollars in profits for his company is well worth his pay scale.
But so what? Unless you are playing the class envy card. Again.

The CEO is not contributing more than the CEOs of the 70's. In fact, their performance has declined as more business is moving overseas. Yet, somehow......Asian and European CEOs who are stealing business from American corporations make a more modest salary

Greed is driving CEO salaries...not performance
Nonsense.
Greed? You can ask for whatever you want. But someone has to give it to you. So it isn't greed.
No, you are playing the class envy card. Again.

Most boards of directors have compensation committees that are supposed to be made up of outside directors. But the way it actually works is a great big circle jerk.

It is worth noting that the WSJ used to have an annual feature ranking the top 500 pay packets for CEOs. Every time I looked at it, I noticed an inverse relationship between pay and performance. The CEO of the bank I worked for got a relatively small paycheck as far as banks were concerned, only about 5% of the pay of the guy at Citibank for example. But when he retired our bank had gone from like #60 in size of assets to within the top 5, and the corporation he ran (we got bought out by them about 10 years ago) had 20 strait years of double digit income growth.

That doesn't change the reality of your pay is determined by what people are willing to give you to do your job, and how great a return on assets they think you are.

If your labor produces $6 in revenue, and you cost $8, they can't keep you. If the legislature says you either get paid $8 or not at all, the result is you won't get paid at all.

And? So? The ability of a CEO to generate billions of dollars in profits for his company is well worth his pay scale.
But so what? Unless you are playing the class envy card. Again.

The CEO is not contributing more than the CEOs of the 70's. In fact, their performance has declined as more business is moving overseas. Yet, somehow......Asian and European CEOs who are stealing business from American corporations make a more modest salary

Nonsense.
Greed? You can ask for whatever you want. But someone has to give it to you. So it isn't greed.

He's playing the class envy card? YOU"RE crying about people making 8 bucks an hour being overpaid.

Nonsense.

He's playing the class envy card? YOU"RE crying about people making 8 bucks an hour being overpaid.

It's actually the people not making 8 bucks an hour being overpaid. That's why they're unemployed,
But I wouldnt expect you to understand such a deep concept.

Minimum wage has been going up since 07'. Watch what has happened during that time:

multimediafinal

Wow. I can't tell if you're suggesting the deepest recession in the post-Depression era is due to a minimum wage increase or you're just completely ignoring that event in your, uh, "analysis."

I'm surprised it is now minimum wage that drove the recession. Up until now it has been Barney Frank and a Democratic Congress

I noticed how everything that happened during the last 3 years was Bush's fault yet Obama can't be blamed for anything.
Try showing a little evenness in your arguments.
In what way did the powers of the President change in the last two years?

Truth is the Recession was caused by several factors...one of which was the rise in unemployment due to the increase in minimum wage along with increase in prices thus the increase in operating expenses of businesses.

Last edited:
Nonsense.

It's actually the people not making 8 bucks an hour being overpaid. That's why they're unemployed,
But I wouldnt expect you to understand such a deep concept.

You must think they're overpaid because you want them to be paid less. That is not a deep concept.

I notice how everything that happened during the last 3 years was Bush's fault yet Obama can't be blamed for anything.

Try showing a little evenness in your argument.

Truth is the Recession was caused by several factors...one of which was the rise in unemployment due to the increase in minimum wage.

In 1996 the minimum wage was raised.

In 1997 the minimum wage was raised.

From 1996 to 2000 Unemployment went from 5.6% to about 4%.

So are you sure raising the minimum wage causes higher unemployment?

Maybe it causes higher unemployment, except when it doesn't.

lol

I notice how everything that happened during the last 3 years was Bush's fault yet Obama can't be blamed for anything.

Try showing a little evenness in your argument.

Truth is the Recession was caused by several factors...one of which was the rise in unemployment due to the increase in minimum wage.

In 1996 the minimum wage was raised.

In 1997 the minimum wage was raised.

From 1996 to 2000 Unemployment went from 5.6% to about 4%.

So are you sure raising the minimum wage causes higher unemployment?

Maybe it causes higher unemployment, except when it doesn't.

lol

Links.

I noticed how everything that happened during the last 3 years was Bush's fault yet Obama can't be blamed for anything.
Try showing a little evenness in your arguments.
In what way did the powers of the President change in the last two years?

Truth is the Recession was caused by several factors...one of which was the rise in unemployment due to the increase in minimum wage along with increase in prices thus the increase in operating expenses of businesses.

Eveness in his argument? You are talking about Nutwinger, the most biased poster on this forum. Everything bad is Bush's fault. Obama is a wonderful president, the best president we've ever had. According to him.
You cannot expect anything approaching rational from that mindset.

No no no no no boys. Thats not why the Democrats love raising minimum wage. This is why:

By doing so, they'll force the evil, greedy rich CEO's to pay the poor bottom level employees more, thus allowing those brave grocery baggers and french fry cooks to live better lives. And by forcing the CEO's to pay them more, the CEO's will in turn say "DANG IT I gotta pay them more. Oh well, I guess I'll pay them more, and keep all other operations, staffing and product pricing exactly as is and just cut the net difference out of my yearly pay."

Um........yeah, thats exactly how it goes too.
Republicans have opposed minimum wages for as long as I can remember. They argue that without a minimum wage. the market for labor would would determine the wages at the low end of the scale just as it does at the higher end. This will result in higher employment. The downside is that wages at the low end may fall dramatically, particularly at the current time with high unemployment. This can result in starvation wages for many. The upside for businesses is they can compete with China and third world countries due to our low labor rates, not to mention increased profits. This also prevent jobs from being shipped overseas since low priceed labor is available in the US. This would definite widen the gap between rich and poor. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Well, remember, us Americans are obviously a lazy, greedy bunch, since we are told we needed to import 15 million workers to do "Jobs Americans just won't do". So, even with a minimum wage, some Americans simply won't do a job. Well, to function, a company needs those jobs done by someone. If we had sealed the border, and the company was forced to pay what an American WOULD do the job for, a min wage would not be needed.

But, as it stands, we're importing desperate workers. So, companies don't need to worry about applicants for even crappy jobs. That leaves us with millions of teeny boppers who would once have gotten work experience at fast food and grocery. But now, they don't, they sit at home on xbox. Then go to college and live off student loans.

And then become 24 year old college graduates with no work experience and a ton of debt.........whining about why they aren't getting the job they deserve and voting for Obama to fix it all for them.

God help us.
I doubt that our 24yr old is going vote Repbulican after he loses his $7/hr job at McD to a teenager who will work $4/hr.

what i made in minimum wage in the late 70's 'could buy more', than what a high school kid earns now in minimum wage...

why shouldn't a kid working today be able to buy, all that i could buy back then when i made minimum wage, for the same job done or even a more productive job done? (productivity has been improving so the minimum wage worker today is probably producing more)

regardless, most States do a fine job with regulating their own State minimum wage....there are only a handful of states that have no minimum wage in the law of their own state....and this is who are being governed by federal laws.

Fuel prices affect the entire economy and businesses more, than a few minimum wage earners and the ones slightly above that, (about 6% of all workers from all i've read).

Why shouldn't a kid today make the same wage as the CEO of a major company? Why not raise it to $200/hr? If $8 is good, then surely 200 is better. That would really make it a living wage!
Of course the choice is not between jobs at $2/hr and jobs at $8/hr/ The choice is between jobs at $2/hr and no job at all. No job at all is precisely what 20% of teenagers (and about 40% of black teenagers) have now thanks to min wage policies. How this is helping anyone other than unions and Democrats is beyond me.

strawman!

i had given you the benefit of the doubt, but it looks like i was wrong to do such, you are an idiot...

If we were to look at the numbers I wonder what race is more affected by low wages.

How many white kids compared to blacks, Hispanics, or whatever race is assumed to be a minority.

I would be willing to bet that more white kids suffer from low wages then any other race.....but they don't matter because whites are supposed to be privileged.

This is really about image more then anything....not practicality.

Democrats although many of them are rich white assholes that wouldn't piss on a black man if he was on fire want to be the one everyone thinks is standing up for the little man. Problem is they insist on screwing job creators in the process. So who really gets hurt? Who's cigarette and liquor taxes did they raise? How small businesses did fear of higher taxes close down in the last two years? Who really is being hurt by the Democrats and their tax and spend...spread the wealth policies?

The little guy.

Last edited:
Fact is Katrina hurt whites more then blacks. This can be proved just by looking at the numbers....but it seems the plight of whites slipped through the cracks.

The BP oil spill caused more harm to whites then blacks yet some tried to claim otherwise.

Drug-runners in AZ effect white ranchers and Obama doesn't give a flying-fuck about them. Does he hate them because they're white? Does the plight of the lawless overrule the plight of American citizens?

When is everyone gonna be concerned by what is bad for Americans as a whole rather then one race.

Last edited:
what i made in minimum wage in the late 70's 'could buy more', than what a high school kid earns now in minimum wage...

why shouldn't a kid working today be able to buy, all that i could buy back then when i made minimum wage, for the same job done or even a more productive job done?

Yeah, my heart bleeds for the teenager who couldn't afford a cell phone plan with a 5000 text/month minimum.

If your labor produces $6 in revenue, and you cost $8, they can't keep you. If the legislature says you either get paid $8 or not at all, the result is you won't get paid at all.

True, but you must have some minimum math ability to grasp your point, which eliminates 90% of the voting public, and 100% of the Media.

Easier to understand is: "Vote for me: I will raise your minimum wage."

No no no no no boys. Thats not why the Democrats love raising minimum wage. This is why:

By doing so, they'll force the evil, greedy rich CEO's to pay the poor bottom level employees more, thus allowing those brave grocery baggers and french fry cooks to live better lives. And by forcing the CEO's to pay them more, the CEO's will in turn say "DANG IT I gotta pay them more. Oh well, I guess I'll pay them more, and keep all other operations, staffing and product pricing exactly as is and just cut the net difference out of my yearly pay."

Um........yeah, thats exactly how it goes too.

Naw, the CEOs just hire illegals and know they won't be held responsible.

why shouldn't a kid working today be able to buy, all that i could buy back then when i made minimum wage, for the same job done or even a more productive job done? (productivity has been improving so the minimum wage worker today is probably producing more)

regardless, most States do a fine job with regulating their own State minimum wage....there are only a handful of states that have no minimum wage in the law of their own state....and this is who are being governed by federal laws.

Fuel prices affect the entire economy and businesses more, than a few minimum wage earners and the ones slightly above that, (about 6% of all workers from all i've read).

Why shouldn't a kid today make the same wage as the CEO of a major company? Why not raise it to $200/hr? If $8 is good, then surely 200 is better. That would really make it a living wage!
Of course the choice is not between jobs at $2/hr and jobs at $8/hr/ The choice is between jobs at $2/hr and no job at all. No job at all is precisely what 20% of teenagers (and about 40% of black teenagers) have now thanks to min wage policies. How this is helping anyone other than unions and Democrats is beyond me.

strawman!

i had given you the benefit of the doubt, but it looks like i was wrong to do such, you are an idiot...
Do you even understand what a strawman argument is? I doubt it, based on this post.
I ask a question: If $8/hr is good, then why not 15? Why not 50? We want to give people a "living wage" do we not?

Forum List

Back