Two months ago, Reader's Digest published answers by dozens of readers to the question, "Why are we here?"
Only one of the answers was printed in red. Perhaps Reader's Digest thought it was the best answer. It may well be THE ANSWER. Ponder that.

To find out where we will spend eternity.

The purpose of why we are here on this earth is to receive a body of flesh and bones and to experience a world where both good and evil exist so that we might learn to choose the good over the evil and become more like God. The resurrection is permanent. There is a purpose to receiving a resurrected body which when received it will remain with us eternally.

Doctrine and Covenants 93:33
33 For man is
spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy;

We receive greater joy when our spirits are inseparably connected to physical element. For this reason Jesus was resurrected to never be separated again from his body.

Romans 6:9
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

When Jesus appeared to his Apostles after his resurrection, he appeared with his resurrected body of flesh and bones.

Luke 24:36-43
36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

God has revealed in these latter days that there is a part of man which is eternal in nature. It is called the intelligence of man.

Doctrine and Covenants 93:29
29 Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be.

Because God could not create the intelligence of man and that the intelligence of man is self-existent, God could not created us as a more perfect being than we had attained as a being with a self-existent intelligence. God did not create us ex nihilo. He created us from self existing intelligence and element. He first created us through the process of procreation as his spirit children. God is the literal father of our spirits. We are his literal offspring:

Acts 17:28-29
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.

Adam's physical body was made from the dust of the earth. Eve was made from one of the ribs of Adam. The rest of us received our physical body through the power of procreation as the posterity of Adam and Eve.

Because we were not created ex nihilo and because God could not create us to be perfect, in order to get us to become more perfect, God created a school gound where we might experience all the effects of good and evil. We were sent to this earth life to learn to choose good over evil and if we make mistakes we are to repent and call upon the power of Christ's atonement for mercy and forgiveness. In this way we are able to progress to become more like God since God could not create us ex nihilo as perfect beings.

For a time we lived in the presents of God as his spirit children. However, there came a time when we needed to learn to choose good over evil in and of ourselves without the present influence of God in our midst. For this reason we were sent to this earth. That is why we are here. To those who take faith in what is now the unseen God because he hideth his presence from us, and learn to choose good over evil and repent of our sins, so much more glorious will be their resurrection.

Forum List

Back