Why American children are falling behind

1. "...Administration can easily "fix" a teacher's class to deep six those that they don't like."
I have heard similar critiques from many teachers, and there is probably a great deal of experience to this fear.
How about if we take this power out of the hands of administrators, and use a randomized computer program for selection, for assigning classes to teachers?

"Power out of the hands of administrators?"

You guys realise that the administrators are there to supervise teachers, right?

School counsellors set up classes according to a dizzying array of criteria. Administrators have almost nothing to do with fixing which students attend what class.

2. The Obama Administration's "Race to the Top" predicates monetary awards to states that correlate the student scores to the teacher they had.
I think that this is the only real way to rate teacher's ability.
Would this be more fair if the scores were not of one year, but of a set period so that more than one group of children were the basis of tenure decisions?

:eek:

You're kidding right?

Say you are The Best Teacher In The World.

The Class Bunny, "Bugs" dies during the week of the test.

No one can concentrate on all the Great Things You Have Taugh, because they are knashing teeth, tearing hair in anguish of Bugs' Unfortunate Demise.

Test results say YOU SUCK!

So you're fired.:(

"You guys realise that the administrators are there to supervise teachers, right?

School counsellors set up classes according to a dizzying array of criteria. Administrators have almost nothing to do with fixing which students attend what class."
What do administrators actually do that a computer-techie couldn't do, now that districts are going to use test scores to rate teachers?

"The Class Bunny, "Bugs" dies."
But he doesn't die every year...

So we surgically remove the ability of the teacher who perennially complains that she has the worst classes, and has the lowest passing percentages on standardized tests...
kind of puts the spotlight where it belongs.

Could you provide the name of the administrator who has to deal with your constant carping, so that I can send him or her the "Long Suffering" Award.

major issue is that everyone is focused on secondary education. those kids have already been failed by the system. i say start with younger children, altering the education system to work as an indoctrination to the idea that education is important.

instead of psychologists inventing a host of disorders to tag children with, they should work to craft a curriculum which brainwashes children with the idea that education is the most essential component of their life, and their job for which they are to seek upward mobility for the next 15 or so years.

in systems which perform better than ours, to include private schools, this is the method. among parents who support their children through our system and garner laudable results, this is the method. where virtually any student who is excelling at school can be found, this is the mindset that they have... a sense of purpose and urgency about putting education first and getting it right.

brainwash the children when they are young and impressionable. make respect, achievement and competition in education the #1 priority for american youth. way simpler than all this wrestling with parents, administrators and rude teenagers. my brainwashed generation will rebuke their own slacking parents, colleagues and teachers, and everything else will fall into place.

1. "...Administration can easily "fix" a teacher's class to deep six those that they don't like."
I have heard similar critiques from many teachers, and there is probably a great deal of experience to this fear.
How about if we take this power out of the hands of administrators, and use a randomized computer program for selection, for assigning classes to teachers?

You guys realise that the administrators are there to supervise teachers, right?

School counsellors set up classes according to a dizzying array of criteria. Administrators have almost nothing to do with fixing which students attend what class.

2. The Obama Administration's "Race to the Top" predicates monetary awards to states that correlate the student scores to the teacher they had.
I think that this is the only real way to rate teacher's ability.
Would this be more fair if the scores were not of one year, but of a set period so that more than one group of children were the basis of tenure decisions?

You're kidding right?

No one can concentrate on all the Great Things You Have Taugh, because they are knashing teeth, tearing hair in anguish of Bugs' Unfortunate Demise.

"You guys realise that the administrators are there to supervise teachers, right?

School counsellors set up classes according to a dizzying array of criteria. Administrators have almost nothing to do with fixing which students attend what class."
What do administrators actually do that a computer-techie couldn't do, now that districts are going to use test scores to rate teachers?

So we surgically remove the ability of the teacher who perennially complains that she has the worst classes, and has the lowest passing percentages on standardized tests...

Could you provide the name of the administrator who has to deal with your constant carping, so that I can send him or her the "Long Suffering" Award.

Heh.......where do you think I've heard all this carping?:cool:

I'm not going to begin to attempt to list all the shit a school administrator does.

But fairly rating teachers IS one of them.

To give you some sort of perspective in reality, showing up for work on Monday's and Friday's weighs MUCH more heavily on a teacher's evaluation than Whatever might be gleened from analysing Standardized Test Scores.

Last edited:
major issue is that everyone is focused on secondary education. those kids have already been failed by the system. i say start with younger children, altering the education system to work as an indoctrination to the idea that education is important.

instead of psychologists inventing a host of disorders to tag children with, they should work to craft a curriculum which brainwashes children with the idea that education is the most essential component of their life, and their job for which they are to seek upward mobility for the next 15 or so years.

in systems which perform better than ours, to include private schools, this is the method. among parents who support their children through our system and garner laudable results, this is the method. where virtually any student who is excelling at school can be found, this is the mindset that they have... a sense of purpose and urgency about putting education first and getting it right.

brainwash the children when they are young and impressionable. make respect, achievement and competition in education the #1 priority for american youth. way simpler than all this wrestling with parents, administrators and rude teenagers. my brainwashed generation will rebuke their own slacking parents, colleagues and teachers, and everything else will fall into place.

Soldiers could take the boys from their mothers at age 7, house them in a dormitory with other boys and train them as soldiers. The mother's softening influence is detrimental to a boy's education. The boys endure harsh physical discipline and deprivation to make them strong. The march without shoes and go without food. They learn to fight, endure pain and survive through their wits. The older boys willingly participate in beating the younger boys to toughen them. Self-denial, simplicity, the warrior code, and loyalty to the city-state will govern their lives.

Girls also could be taken from the home at 7 and sent to a seperate school. Here they learn wrestling, gymnastics, are taught to fight, and endure other physical training. Americans should believe that strong mothers produce strong children. Young women will compete at athletic events and compete in the nude.

The Spartans Childhood - Ancient Greece - HistoryWiz

You're kidding right?

Heh.......where do you think I've heard all this carping?:cool:

I'm not going to begin to attempt to list all the shit a school administrator does.

But fairly rating teachers IS one of them.

To give you some sort of perspective in reality, Showing up for work on Monday's and Friday's weights MUCH more heavily on a teacher's evaluation than Whatever might be gleened from analysing Standardized Test Scores.

Are you hinting that I am your paragon, your apotheosis?? In fact your exemplar???
I don't know whether to blush or to commit seppuku!!!

"...fairly rating teachers ..."
Note how teachers in this thread blanch at the thought! "Fair"?

They think that administrators are the very opposite: they will purposely assign them poor classes.

Comparing the teachers 'rating' to the achievements of their students should be the rating! Talk about fair!

When I consider the construct "Showing up for work on Monday's and Friday's weights MUCH more heavily on a teacher's evaluation," I now realize how correct my high school science teacher was when he posited that a monkey sitting at a keyboard, randomly hitting keys, for an infinite amount of time would, eventually, produce the works of Shakespeare.

I now realize how correct my high school science teacher was when he posited that a monkey sitting at a keyboard, randomly hitting keys, for an infinite amount of time would, eventually, produce the works of Shakespeare.

Yes, I'm certain YOUR teacher had a good reason to say that.........:tongue:

I now realize how correct my high school science teacher was when he posited that a monkey sitting at a keyboard, randomly hitting keys, for an infinite amount of time would, eventually, produce the works of Shakespeare.

Are you suggesting some simian comparison with moi???

Sticks and stones...

Are you suggesting some simian comparison with moi???

Sticks and stones...

:razz:

I'm merely highlighting irony.

Soldiers could take the boys from their mothers at age 7, house them in a dormitory with other boys and train them as soldiers. The mother's softening influence is detrimental to a boy's education. The boys endure harsh physical discipline and deprivation to make them strong. The march without shoes and go without food. They learn to fight, endure pain and survive through their wits. The older boys willingly participate in beating the younger boys to toughen them. Self-denial, simplicity, the warrior code, and loyalty to the city-state will govern their lives.

Girls also could be taken from the home at 7 and sent to a seperate school. Here they learn wrestling, gymnastics, are taught to fight, and endure other physical training. Americans should believe that strong mothers produce strong children. Young women will compete at athletic events and compete in the nude.

The Spartans Childhood - Ancient Greece - HistoryWiz

:lol:You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Samson again.

I think parent's are the biggest problem. between libraries and the internet there is nothing stopping you from teaching your kid as much as you want. my stepson is in 2nd grade now but was rated at reading above a 5th grade level and will soon be starting algebra with me. we do an hour every night beyond his homework in math, reading, and science. he also reads on his own everyday. don't blame the schools, blame the parents.

If you are educating your child, why are you sending him to school in the first place? I thought the whole reason behind public schools was so that our kids could get an education. Now it's the parents job? What the heck are we paying the schools all those taxes for?

I think parent's are the biggest problem. between libraries and the internet there is nothing stopping you from teaching your kid as much as you want. my stepson is in 2nd grade now but was rated at reading above a 5th grade level and will soon be starting algebra with me. we do an hour every night beyond his homework in math, reading, and science. he also reads on his own everyday. don't blame the schools, blame the parents.

If you are educating your child, why are you sending him to school in the first place? I thought the whole reason behind public schools was so that our kids could get an education. Now it's the parents job? What the heck are we paying the schools all those taxes for?

He/she never claimed to be the only source of education for Stepson.

Kids are with teachers about 40 hrs/week.

Kids are with parents 128 hrs/week.

From whom do you expect them to learn more?

Depends on the parent - I've run across a number that are appallingly ignorant at the most basic levels.

Yes, its amazing that so many have any grasp on the rudiments of procreation.

Actually, the fact that most kids learn anything at all at school, is evidence to the natural intelligence of humans, rather than any inherited intelligence from parents, or the environments they provide.

Let's see...

The kids should be asleep 56 hours.

Eating about 11 hours.

Leaves about 61 hours.

I expect they are in school specifically to learn. The 61 hours available have multiple purposes. I would hope instilling a work ethic (jobs around the house), morals (church) and enjoying each other would be some of the main duties of the home. I'm going to lay math and reading primarily on the school. By the way, the school seems bent on eating a large portion of the 61 hours with sports activities and homework. Just saying.

Forum List

Back