VIDEO: Brawl at Halifax County High School raises questions about safety, teacher conduct

horselightning

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2013

kids brawling in the halls. teachers try to stop it and get hurt. some one need to teach these kids how to act in stead of getting on the hurt teachers. sad.
Please, please.

If you know someone who is thinking about becoming a teacher in an urban high school, do everything you can to dissuade him/her from entering that profession.

There are so many other rewarding and well-paying professions to study for.

Nowadays teaching in urban high schools is like going into combat.

Man times have changed. I can remember our wrestling coach breaking up a fight with a well executed takedown on both kids at the same time. Thank god I grew up in a time before cellphone cameras

Please, please.

If you know someone who is thinking about becoming a teacher in an urban high school, do everything you can to dissuade him/her from entering that profession.

That, and if you see a fight, don’t get involved. Call the police. You know someone is going to have a camera and if you make one false move…you’ll be in the news..as we see here

So, just don’t get involved. Call the police, and let it go.

Man times have changed. I can remember our wrestling coach breaking up a fight with a well executed takedown on both kids at the same time. Thank god I grew up in a time before cellphone cameras
Now the black students attack the teacher trying to break up the fight. That NEVER happened when I grew up.

Now the black students attack the teacher trying to break up the fight. That NEVER happened when I grew up.
In the late 80s early 90s student would try every so often but it didn’t work out well for them.

We have 2% of students disrupting the education of the 98% and we spend limited resources to try and coddle them (and their patent(s) ) while the rest of the kids who might learn something wither away with fear and boredom.

Please, please.

Don’t exaggerate. It doesn’t happen every day (in most places).

You can tell that to the teacher who received like 20 stomping and punches on her head and face.
Yes I can tell her that, but I'd rather have a talk with any male teachers who were around. Or male students for that matter.

That, and if you see a fight, don’t get involved. Call the police. You know someone is going to have a camera and if you make one false move…you’ll be in the news..as we see here

So, just don’t get involved. Call the police, and let it go.
Define "false move". In other words, my question for those who were trying to pull the teacher away, "Who are you trying aide, the teacher who is already trying to break up the war, or the kids?

God bless you and the teacher always!!!

Holly

Define "false move". In other words, my question for those who were trying to pull the teacher away, "Who are you trying aide, the teacher who is already trying to break up the war, or the kids?

God bless you and the teacher always!!!

Holly
False move is any action you could take that someone with a camera could use to accuse you of improper behavior, send to the media, get you fired and possibly sued.

Just don’t get involved. That’s pretty basic. I mean, yeah, there was a time when you could step in and break up a fight…but it’s no longer worth it with the way the world is, and everyone itching to sue someone..

So…the answer is very simple…call the police, let them handle it.

Now…some will say “but you can’t let them beat each other, they may get hurt!” That may be true..but, it’s the “litigation brigade” who brought us to this point. If it weren’t for all these tik tok warriors just hoping they can catch someone doing something wrong, we’d be having a different conversation, but, since that is a thing…you as a teacher have to decide whether you want to risk your livelihood and possibly your freedom by trying to intervene.

So…call the police, don’t get involved….

False move is any action you could take that someone with a camera could use to accuse you of improper behavior, send to the media, get you fired and possibly sued.

Just don’t get involved. That’s pretty basic. I mean, yeah, there was a time when you could step in and break up a fight…but it’s no longer worth it with the way the world is, and everyone itching to sue someone..

Now…some will say “but you can’t let them beat each other, they may get hurt!” That may be true..but, it’s the “litigation brigade” who brought us to this point. If it weren’t for all these tik tok warriors just hoping they can catch someone doing something wrong, we’d be having a different conversation, but, since that is a thing…you as a teacher have to decide whether you want to risk your livelihood and possibly your freedom by trying to intervene.

Bullshit. You don't stand around and let kids get hurt. Most of the time it is handled like a hockey fight, waiting until they hit the deck before separating them. But if one kid is going to get badly hurt you step in as needed.

Bullshit. You don't stand around and let kids get hurt. Most of the time it is handled like a hockey fight, waiting until they hit the deck before separating them. But if one kid is going to get badly hurt you step in as needed.
Ok, that’s fine, but then don’t post videos on tik tok about the teacher when he tries to separate those who are fighting and other students start to drag the teacher off of them, and he’s trying to help the situation and he grabbed one by the throat, which we have no context of what that meant..was he just trying to push the student away? Was he trying to choke the student? But that didn’t matter, all we got was “teacher puts hands on students throat”.

I’m sorry, but this is the bed that these people have made. You’re damned if you don’t help, sued if they do.

For the record, I agree, teachers SHOULD help, but people who post headlines like these make it not worth it. What, you think that teacher should put his life and career on the line for something that someone is going to try and smear him for?

Oh hey, looky here:

In the case of this video, it looks like the teacher in Halifax isn’t going to face punishment from the school…but the video is already out there, there’s no pulling that back.

So, while I admit my take on this is harsh, where do you draw the line of trying to involve yourself, and potentially being sent to the hospital or arrested and charged because an injury may result because of your efforts to try and intervene?

...where do you draw the line of trying to involve yourself, and potentially being sent to the hospital or arrested and charged because an injury may result because of your efforts to try and intervene?

You draw the line at where a kid could get hurt. That's part of the job.

The sad thing is that cops almost always never get there fast enough. That is why people who do step in do whatever it is that they can, and they do whatever they can so that the fire does not spread over to any other witnesses and innocent people who are just on their way to class/work.

God bless you and the innocent people always!!!

Holly

You draw the line at where a kid could get hurt. That's part of the job.
Hmm, so you’re saying that a teacher is expected to put his life and career on the line trying to protect students…who are the ones who will try to put the teacher in the hospital…or sue them?

again, im perfectly fine with teachers helping, under 2 conditions, that they get some sort of immunity for injuries that may occur in breaking up a fight, and if the teacher ends up getting attacked, they can use whatever means necessary to protect themselves…

Here’s a discussion about this very thing.

Notice how every one of these people have said that no, they are not expected nor would they step in to stop a fight, for the very reasons I’ve stated here.

And another:

Again, what you are suggesting IS the right thing to do, but, in todays world of “touch me and I’ll sue you/hurt you”, what do you do?

I’m assuming your take is, if you see a fight, get in there and break it up, and if you get sent to the hospital, fired, or sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars…that just “oh well!”?

Forum List

Back