Why American children are falling behind

Discussion in 'Education' started by Big_D, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Big_D

Big_D Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Anyone knows that the children in this nation are far behind our European counterparts, but who is to blame. I know that I am not the first to say this but the teachers and their unions are to blame. Now, I'm aware that the students need to take accountability for their own success but I am sure anyone reading this can thing of a teacher in their past that made such an impression on them that when they took their class they gave 100%. Also, I know that a lot of teachers do not get paid well but I doubt simply increasing their pay will automatically force them to do a better job and the statistics below will show that a higher turnover is needed to ensure better grades.

Why We Must Fire Bad Teachers - Newsweek.com

When I was in high school, one of my teacher admitted to making $70,000 and he showed us a movie for the entire duration of the class at LEAST once a week. I am not exaggerating. He would show us a movie every Friday and then it was not unusual for him to show us another one or two time more throughout the week. What is sad, is that he was not the only one. I can think of numerous teachers at my high school that show us movies, give us busy work, tell us to read out of our text books, and flat out not teach. As a freshman, one teacher did such a crummy job that in one quarter, the class average was a 64% and at my school a 60% was the absolute lowest a student could obtain and still pass. Another student and I had an A in that quarter so I would like to know how many people failed to bring the class average so far down. This teacher was a really nice guy but it is completely absurd that someone can do so poorly and still keep their job. What is even more pathetic is that my high school is continually ranked one of the top 1,000 in the nation. If my high school was one of the best in the nation, I would really hate to see what is happening at the rest of them.

Here is a couple quotes from two newsweek articles about the subject:

Are Teachers' Unions the Problem or the Solution? - Newsweek.com

2. thomas78

thomas78 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This comes as a shock to me because I'd think US children were one of the brightest groups internationally (I'm not American).

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Only those who don't attend public schools.

4. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    28 percent of my district is classified special ed. Do foreign countries include the handicapped in their stats? Just sayin...

5. Big_D

Big_D Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34
    In hindsight, I shouldn't have named this thread what I did. I do not mean to imply that the teachers are the only problem with US schools.

6. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    everything is your fault chanel, didn't you know?

7. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    I think parent's are the biggest problem. between libraries and the internet there is nothing stopping you from teaching your kid as much as you want. my stepson is in 2nd grade now but was rated at reading above a 5th grade level and will soon be starting algebra with me. we do an hour every night beyond his homework in math, reading, and science. he also reads on his own everyday. don't blame the schools, blame the parents.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,260
    ???? How do they define handicapped? 28 percent of the district? Does America have special districts where handicapped kids go? That seems unusually high......

9. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Roger that.

10. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    damn.