Who will replace Nick Saban when he retires?

The rumor mill around campus and in Tuscaloosa is that, if Saban wins another national championship he will call it quits and retire.

Whether it is true or not, Nick will retire in the next few years. He is 72 years old.

So who will the University get to take his place? Any thoughts?

Jerry Glanville, or his apprentice, coach Prime

Saban could not keep up with the transfer portal. It's a new world in coaching, and I doubt Nick wanted to make the transformation at his age. The transfer portal is what has killed Dabo, he admittedly does not work the transfer portal.

The rumor mill around campus and in Tuscaloosa is that, if Saban wins another national championship he will call it quits and retire.

Whether it is true or not, Nick will retire in the next few years. He is 72 years old.

So who will the University get to take his place? Any thoughts?
Jim Harbaugh? Why not? You stole Nick from MSU why not steal Jim from Michigan?

Think about this. Belichick, Sabin and Pete Carroll all gone in the same 24 hour time frame.

Is this what it feels like 4 days after winning a National championship? It doesn't feel much different than when we don't win. It's like a famous musician said on Howard Stern. You reach the mountain top and the whole time you thought if you could do it all your problems would go away. But they don't. You still have all the same problems only now you have a National Championship. Which is cool don't get me wrong. Maybe it just hasn't hit me yet. I suppose it's the bragging rights we have all the way until next year. I'll try to be humble, show humility and admit BAMA is a better program. The best.

But Michigan has the most wins still. And last I checked we were champs not you. But could Harbaugh leave? I don't know if that would be a problem for us. We got his assistant who I'm sure will take over if Jim goes. Unless he goes with him.

Jerry Glanville, or his apprentice, coach Prime
Damn it you beat me to it! Deion Sanders! It's so obvious. He's not married to the school he's coaching at now. Maybe he doesn't want to leave his son but come on. Chance of a lifetime.

There is Zero chance Deion Sanders get the job.
I was wondering what you were going to say. I think he's as big as the program. Could be a good fit. he's arrogant, the program is arrogant. Perfect.

But not if BAMA fans don't like him. Why is he too much?

Jim Harbaugh? Why not? You stole Nick from MSU why not steal Jim from Michigan?

Think about this. Belichick, Sabin and Pete Carroll all gone in the same 24 hour time frame.

Is this what it feels like 4 days after winning a National championship? It doesn't feel much different than when we don't win. It's like a famous musician said on Howard Stern. You reach the mountain top and the whole time you thought if you could do it all your problems would go away. But they don't. You still have all the same problems only now you have a National Championship. Which is cool don't get me wrong. Maybe it just hasn't hit me yet. I suppose it's the bragging rights we have all the way until next year. I'll try to be humble, show humility and admit BAMA is a better program. The best.

But Michigan has the most wins still. And last I checked we were champs not you. But could Harbaugh leave? I don't know if that would be a problem for us. We got his assistant who I'm sure will take over if Jim goes. Unless he goes with him.
Why would Harbaugh make a lateral move? He’s either gone to the NFL or staying at Michigan

There’s not zero chance but it’s really small. The question is does anyone really want the job. Do you want to be the guy who coaches after Saban? Talk about shoes to fill.

Who's the head coach of MSU now that Nick Sabin is gone? I don't know. And I'm from Michigan. LOL. What is his record? Overall: 34–35

Is that what's going to happen to BAMA now? God I hope so. Someone has to lose. LOL

Who's the head coach of MSU now that Nick Sabin is gone? I don't know. And I'm from Michigan. LOL. What is his record? Overall: 34–35

Is that what's going to happen to BAMA now? God I hope so. Someone has to lose. LOL
There are a lot of coaches between the current guy and Saban at MSU. He was the HC there in the 90s. What happens at Alabama will depend on what happens to the guys that Saban recruited when the new HC is named. They’ve already lost some guys due to Saban retiring, depending how many choose to leave will determine how good they are at least in the short term. They likely aren’t going to be as good as they have been with Saban.

There are a lot of coaches between the current guy and Saban at MSU. He was the HC there in the 90s. What happens at Alabama will depend on what happens to the guys that Saban recruited when the new HC is named. They’ve already lost some guys due to Saban retiring, depending how many choose to leave will determine how good they are at least in the short term. They likely aren’t going to be as good as they have been with Saban.
I was comparing these great coaches to typical working people. You go into a job giving it 100%, but for how many years before you get tired and are no longer worth what the organization is paying you?

Or the system starts falling apart and you don't know how to fix that. Fixing that should have started 3 years ago. So a good coach sees into the future.

My dad thinks that BAMA is always great but if you look at when they won championships they never won nearly as much as they did under Sabin. And the number of years between when they were "great" before and Sabin were long.

18 (1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020)

Saban led the Tide to nine SEC championships and won his first national title at Alabama in 2009. Titles came again in 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017 and 2020. He also won the SEC with LSU in 2001 and 2003.

So they really weren't great in the 1980's, 90's (even though any other school would love to win 1 national championship in 10 years. That would be considered a successful program anywhere else.

But they were not great in the 80's, 90's, 2000's really. They were GREAT under Sabin and in the 60's and 70's.

Let's hope they go back to not being great for another decade or so. We know they'll always be in the playoffs though now that 12 make it.

There is Zero chance Deion Sanders get the job.
The more I think about it, the more I think it's a perfect fit. He is such a braggart. He's prime time. And so is the BAMA program. Sure Sabin has a different personality but I don't see why Deion can't take all those blue chip players and get them to win.

And recruit? He'll be the best.

I'm telling you I think you are being too arrogant or whatever you call it where you poo poo away a guy like Sanders to head your program. Why not?

Deion Sanders has taken the sports world by storm after starting 3-0 in his first year as University of Colorado football coach. But even more so, his unconventional methods and prolific statements — along with that success — have sparked a cultural movement in the Black community.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a perfect fit. He is such a braggart. He's prime time. And so is the BAMA program. Sure Sabin has a different personality but I don't see why Deion can't take all those blue chip players and get them to win.

And recruit? He'll be the best.

I'm telling you I think you are being too arrogant or whatever you call it where you poo poo away a guy like Sanders to head your program. Why not?

Deion Sanders has taken the sports world by storm after starting 3-0 in his first year as University of Colorado football coach. But even more so, his unconventional methods and prolific statements — along with that success — have sparked a cultural movement in the Black community.

I am not saying anything negative about Sanders. He just does not have the experience as a head coach.

I am not saying anything negative about Sanders. He just does not have the experience as a head coach.
I agree. He’s not quite ready to take over a program that’s that prominent. He’s only 56. Side note. He grew up and played football just north of where I went to HS. I’ve met him a couple times once in a setting that was away from the cameras and media. He’s a different person. A lot of what we all see is a persona. Given 5 or so years of “seasoning” running a d1 program and I could see him at a program like Alabama.

My guess is the replacement for Saban will be Lane Kiffin. Not because he is the best available. But because he has the experience necessary to move the Tide forward.

I give him 3 years before he is replaced.

The first guy to replace the GOAT is in the toughest position. The guy who follows the 1st guy is the one to lead.

My guess is the replacement for Saban will be Lane Kiffin. Not because he is the best available. But because he has the experience necessary to move the Tide forward.

I give him 3 years before he is replaced.

The first guy to replace the GOAT is in the toughest position. The guy who follows the 1st guy is the one to lead.
That’s my bet as well. I wouldnt want to try and fill those size 38’s. (Yes I looked up the biggest shoe in the world and its size 37).

Forum List

Back