Who on the right is willing to cut the military?

There is one thing I would take "off the table".

Veteran's benefits.

Why?

Why, indeed? Our service men and women put a hell of a lot of sacrifice on the line. They are in fact government employees. Their wounds, injuries, sometime illnesses, loss of hearing, loss of vision, loss of limbs are all ON-THE-JOB events. They deserve their benefits for a job well done.

How are we, as civilians, who have on-the-job accidents or injuries entitled to workman's compensation benefits, but service people are not entitled to their benefits? How would it be if workman's comp was done away with? Would you be angry? Yes.

The VA doesn't just take care of ON-THE-JOB events.

I don't mind if a verteran needs a free peg-leg, or whatever, but why are we paying for a cook in the Ft. Schafter (Hawaii) Officer's Club to retire and get free psychiatric care?

I would close hundreds of unnecessary bases world wide and devote 15% of their budgets to the VA and mental health screening and care for returning vets. the other 85% needs to just disappear

Closing world wide bases would be a very stupid move. Those bases DO defend our country by securing our interests in those countries. Those interests and service people are "at the ready" so to speak because they're already on-site or close by - deployment from the US and transit of munitions would take longer, and all it would be more costly. Deployment is not a matter of "I transferring you to another department effective tomorrow" and a person walks across the hall. It takes lots of advance planning.

North Korea has not savaged South Korea and enslaved the South Koreans because our troops are there to prevent that from happening. Our overseas troops are there not only to defend our interests but the interests of our allies from enemy invasion.

To the best of my knowledge, after foreign countries have suffered losses from war, the US has been there to financially and physically rebuild those countries.

Why, indeed? Our service men and women put a hell of a lot of sacrifice on the line. They are in fact government employees. Their wounds, injuries, sometime illnesses, loss of hearing, loss of vision, loss of limbs are all ON-THE-JOB events. They deserve their benefits for a job well done.

How are we, as civilians, who have on-the-job accidents or injuries entitled to workman's compensation benefits, but service people are not entitled to their benefits? How would it be if workman's comp was done away with? Would you be angry? Yes.

I don't mind if a verteran needs a free peg-leg, or whatever, but why are we paying for a cook in the Ft. Schafter (Hawaii) Officer's Club to retire and get free psychiatric care?

If the job made them crazy they should get help - it doesn't have to be a "rest of your life" treatment. Those cooks are not likely to have pulled all their service in a tropical paradise, they may have been in a combat zone and the PTSD finally gets to him.

If the job made them crazy they should get help - it doesn't have to be a "rest of your life" treatment. Those cooks are not likely to have pulled all their service in a tropical paradise, they may have been in a combat zone and the PTSD finally gets to him.

No, actually, very few veterans have seen combat.

But for those that have even been in the "Theater of Combat," the deal isn't lifelong treatment:

http://www4.va.gov/healtheligibility/Library/pubs/CombatVet/CombatVet.pdf

Veterans, including activated Reservists and members of the National Guard, are eligible if they served on active duty in a theater of combat operations after November 11, 1998, and have been discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

The job made them crazy?

you mean wrapping "Lil Smokies" in cresent rolls, and serving them for happy hour may have driven them over the edge?

Some congressional Republicans are currently considering putting military cuts on the table for consideration and I'm for it. The Cold War is over.
Reagen took most of the credit for defeating Soviet Russia, but the real truth was that we outspent them during the Cold War and the buildup of their military broke them financially.
Now that the Cold War is over, why should we let our military contribute to doing the same?

The job made them crazy?

you mean wrapping "Lil Smokies" in cresent rolls, and serving them for happy hour may have driven them over the edge?
If that so-called cook served his/her 20+ and fulfilled his contractual obligations, he/she gets what they DESERVE. It's in the contract, and rightfully so.

Fact of the matter is, whether they served in a combat theatre or not, there is always the possibility of immediate deployment. Always the possibility the balloon will go up.......You don't live with the possible consequenses of having to deploy. You slip into your bed at night without a worry in the world. A soldier, sailor, airman, marine, lives with the possibiltiy that the shit will hit the fan everyday.

The job made them crazy?

If that so-called cook served his/her 20+ and fulfilled his contractual obligations, he/she gets what they DESERVE. It's in the contract, and rightfully so.

Fact of the matter is, whether they served in a combat theatre or not, there is always the possibility of immediate deployment. Always the possibility the balloon will go up.......You don't live with the possible consequenses of having to deploy. You slip into your bed at night without a worry in the world. A soldier, sailor, airman, marine, lives with the possibiltiy that the shit will hit the fan everyday.

" slip into your bed at night without a worry in the world?"

No, not really.

Many Americans who did not get to wrap Lil' Smokies in dough for happy hour at the Ft Schafter Officer's Club worry about keeping enough income to pay for our retirements after we've paid taxes to support the costs of keeping the Ft. Schafter cook supplied with Lil' Smokies.

The job made them crazy?

No, not really.

Many Americans who did not get to wrap Lil' Smokies in dough for happy hour at the Ft Schafter Officer's Club worry about keeping enough income to pay for our retirements after we've paid taxes to support the costs of keeping the Ft. Schafter cook supplied with Lil' Smokies.

FYI......the person wrapping those lil' smokies at the O club would more than likely be a civilian employee.

Just sayin.

Tell us what you would be willing to cut.

do you read? Posts........here ...........at USMB? :neutral:

"we" have, several times here in 4 months so far....and I have posted the FACTS and data that the military has already under gone massive cuts in the hardware dept. especially.....

your turn, so what entitlements are taking the pipe?

No, not really.

FYI......the person wrapping those lil' smokies at the O club would more than likely be a civilian employee.

Just sayin.

I'm actuall using the metaphore: As you are probably well aware, the vast majority of the military has nothing to do with combat, but instead with pushing paper from one desk to the other, and the most serious injury they might suffer their entire carreer may be a paper cut.

No, not really.

Just sayin.

I'm actuall using the metaphore: As you are probably well aware, the vast majority of the military has nothing to do with combat, but instead with pushing paper from one desk to the other, and the most serious injury they might suffer their entire carreer may be a paper cut.

And if they did their 20+ and fulfilled their conratctual obligations, they get what they deserve. And if they suffered serious mind fuck from said paper cut, they deserve the counseling that goes along with it!

:razz:

Last edited:

Just sayin.

And if they did their 20+ and fulfilled their conratctual obligations, they get what they deserve. And if they suffered serious mind fuck from said paper ****, they deserve the counseling that goes along with it!

:eusa_eh:

Well, I suppose a "paper ****" could do some serious damage.

Just sayin.

I fully agree - the government offered it's employee a contract to induce him to take the job and there are civilian employees on military installations. If a civilian and his/her employer had a contractual agreement as a condition of employment - a civilian would jump up and down and scream bloody murder if his/her obligation was fully carried out and then the employer decided it wanted to welch on it's end of the deal.

I won't cut the military.

But if you knock it down, first, I'll kick a few times.

And if they did their 20+ and fulfilled their conratctual obligations, they get what they deserve. And if they suffered serious mind fuck from said paper ****, they deserve the counseling that goes along with it!

Oooooops!

Must have had Sarah G. on my mind when writing that!

Sorry about that!

Just sayin.

I fully agree - the government offered it's employee a contract to induce him to take the job and there are civilian employees on military installations. If a civilian and his/her employer had a contractual agreement as a condition of employment - a civilian would jump up and down and scream bloody murder if his/her obligation was fully carried out and then the employer decided it wanted to welch on it's end of the deal.

What if the civilian employee's employer goes out of business?

Ahhhh.... "paper ****". reminds me of the Administrative staff at Lackland AFB.

memories..... :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back