Zone1 What is the reason for your hope?

Is this an objective hope--i.e. something that is true all the time for all people whether they believe it, disagree with it, ignore it, or are ignorant of it?

It's not a hope at all. That's the idea.

If you have no preconceived desired outcomes then anything that happens is not a disappointment.

If you go into the day wanting and expecting a particular outcome then if you don't get it there are negative emotions attached to the whole day.

1 Peter 3:15: Always be ready to give a reason, an explanation, for your hope.

What is your hope/expectation? What is the reason for it?
My hope rests on history. Our nation has had far more trying times than we have today. Anyone with a historical perspective feels a lot less worried than the ignorant.

The arcs of history and progress always bend upward.

Short-term resentments or long-term resentments? What would be an example of a permanent resentment for all?
Since it is impossible to get everyone to agree on even one thing, there cannot be an expectation or resentment for all.

There is constant conflict precisely because we cannot agree on how to move forward.

No joy, no pain, just comfortably numb and unfeeling.

Kinda like Hunter in the White House

View attachment 841933

And yes, he is a disappointment, even for you.
Wrong

Not expecting joy results in pleasure when it happens and no disappointment if it doesn't.

The universe doesn't give a shit about you or your feelings so why would you expect it to give you what you want?

Can you explain why this is true for all?
It isn't true for all.
Only those who believe IN Jesus...not just that He exists or as some form of cosmic "fire insurance" but actually in his life and message that He lived out...
Not so much because of a "give to get" scheme to access heaven as a reward but because it is the only truly good life in this world with so many conflicting and confusing messages.
And I don't want people to be confused by those who claim Jesus but demonstrate that they have no understanding as to what His Life and message was about either.
The line is very definitive and narrow...you are either a part of the problem or part of the solution.
Those that don't even believe in God are without hope.

Hope this helps.

This is the problem with not using context. One needs to quote a verse in it's entirety, the very same verse tells you where our hope "comes from" .

15 But [d]sanctify [e]the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;

After living in this world of pain, suffering and death I have a hope of again being reunited with those whom I have loved in this life and living forever and ever. I also hope that the next life will be of a greater happiness and joy and that immortality and eternal life will bring peace and great satisfaction in life. I guess the reason for this hope is that I don't wish to cease to exist or continue in a world of pain, suffering and death. Nor do I wish pain, suffering and death for anyone else.

This is the problem with not using context. One needs to quote a verse in it's entirety, the very same verse tells you where our hope "comes from" .

15 But [d]sanctify [e]the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;
I am asking. Can you give the reason for hope in Jesus?

Only those who believe IN Jesus
Allow me to remove the word 'in' to present a point. The objective truth is true for all. Jesus made a statement, that he was one with the Father, "I am".

Jesus made an objective statement that he was God. Is Jesus lying? Is he lunatic? Is he God? Those are the choices. A careful study of the material available shows Jesus is neither a liar or a lunatic. Therefore we have the truth he is God, and even in his human nature he was one with God as he said.

People can choose not to believe, but that does not change the fact of Jesus' deity. The question is not, "Why should I believe?" The question is What is the reason for your hope in Jesus?

Allow me to remove the word 'in' to present a point. The objective truth is true for all. Jesus made a statement, that he was one with the Father, "I am".

Jesus made an objective statement that he was God. Is Jesus lying? Is he lunatic? Is he God? Those are the choices. A careful study of the material available shows Jesus is neither a liar or a lunatic. Therefore we have the truth he is God, and even in his human nature he was one with God as he said.

People can choose not to believe, but that does not change the fact of Jesus' deity. The question is not, "Why should I believe?" The question is What is the reason for your hope in Jesus?
Jesus made 7 different "I am" statements as recorded in John.

The reason is the same as before.

God is good,
God is so busy being good that He doesn't have time to be bad. He literally wrote the laws of the universe.

Most people try to "be good" or enact what they perceive to be good for themselves or their community. Even the current terrorists in the group of Hamas believes they are doing something good by killing civilian children and women.
But as the whole world rallies against them and declares that their genocide is good for the world...a person has to question their idea of "good".
I don't know a person alive who makes themselves the villain in their own narrative. Everyone believes that they are a good person with no real qualifications other than what they think or feel. Everyone is "right" but only in their own mind.

With Jesus I know the truth about what is good and right by the principles He set forth. That gives me hope for a future.

It isn't true for all.
Only those who believe IN Jesus...not just that He exists or as some form of cosmic "fire insurance" but actually in his life and message that He lived out...
Not so much because of a "give to get" scheme to access heaven as a reward but because it is the only truly good life in this world with so many conflicting and confusing messages.
And I don't want people to be confused by those who claim Jesus but demonstrate that they have no understanding as to what His Life and message was about either.
The line is very definitive and narrow...you are either a part of the problem or part of the solution.
Those that don't even believe in God are without hope.

Hope this helps.

I somewhat agree with this. Jesus Christ is the reason for my hope, but I do believe that you can believe in the message Jesus taught and not believe in Jesus. However, as to have hope to have eternal life with Him, probably won't look good unless they repent.

Truth: Its truth that makes you free. -- John 8:32. What did Jesus mean with this statement? Freedom from the bonds of sin that are common to all men/women. "If you say you have no sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us...........if we confess our sins to Jesus Christ, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins...." -- 1 John 1:8-9.

Where is this truth that creates hope to be found? In the content of the Holy Scriptures, where the words, wisdom and commandments of the Christ are found for all men to see.........its the words Jesus commanded His Apostles to leave a record behind that will Judge us on the last day. (John 12:8).......these words are recorded in the books that will judge our lives (Rev. 20:12)

Its simple as revealed in scripture.............Jesus came to earth as God incarnate to deliver truth from Heaven, that was His stated purpose, "..........To this end I was born, and for this cause I came into the world, THAT I SHOULD BEAR WITNESS TO UNTO THE TRUTH; EVERYONE THAT IS OF THE TRUTH HEARS MY VOICE........." -- John 18:37

The one statement of truth that most men have a problem with is the following, "I am the way, the truth, and the live; no man cometh to the Father but through Me." -- John 14:6

That G-d may drive and guide me from the Eastern Bloc country in which I live. And/or someone will actually understand and care about the reality that the persecution of some ultimately means grave conseqences for all.

Forum List

Back