Ineffective Teachers

So, which RWI posters here on USMB are willing to take the HS AP Exams?

That way you can have first hand knowledge of how the test is 'dumbed down'.
Dear Lord,
yes, our school system has some very dumb students, but our Top Public School Students would out-test ANY USMB poster.
perhaps a revealing exercise , especially among those of us that are products of the system Winco.....~S~

So, which RWI posters here on USMB are willing to take the HS AP Exams?

That way you can have first hand knowledge of how the test is 'dumbed down'.
Dear Lord,
yes, our school system has some very dumb students, but our Top Public School Students would out-test ANY USMB poster.

That's of course bullshit, winco.

In one of the most liberal school districts in the country, Baltimore, 13 schools have exactly Zero students proficient in math, and even in their top 5 schools, only 11% of the students are proficient in math.

The students may well know how to put a condom onto a butternut squash, and may well know survival skills like knowing how to keister a shank so they can defend their lunch money- but they don't know real academic subjects.

In one of the most liberal school districts in the country, Baltimore, 13 schools have exactly Zero students proficient in math, and even in their top 5 schools, only 11% of the students are proficient in math.

The students may well know how to put a condom onto a butternut squash, and may well know survival skills like knowing how to keister a shank so they can defend their lunch money- but they don't know real academic subjects.

I said we had some poor students
Baltimore is a sad example, but real

My response was about the top students.

IMO, the top students would destroy the posters on USMB that think there is no education in public schools, in ANY AP testing.

I know the answers. I don't think you do because you are very short in your responses. How about you educating the masses with your wisdom, if you have any.
I'm not a teacher and there are some very good ones but the union has dumbed down American education.

Just seems intuitive. Teachers unions seem like they are opposed to competency testing for their members
Do you know why? Teachers are tested for competency prior to getting their certifications. Why would you want to unnecessarily duplicate the testing requirements? The real problem with demanding testing is that those doing so do not even understand the process because they are not teachers.

I was required to take tests in both social studies and mathematics before I was certified in each. When I became an administrator, I had to take a certification exam when I was in graduate school.

Teacher competence is evaluated as part of the teacher's evaluation process. When I was teaching, there was hardly a month went by when I did not have another teacher (team leader), coach, guidance counselor or assistant principal in my classroom. Our evaluations by principals were two independent classroom evaluations conducted at random intervals, one being a schedule observation and the other being no-notice. As a team leader and administrator, I also performed these evaluations. The process was almost identical despite my working in seven school districts in two states and for the DoD in my 21-year career. Do you not think that is sufficient?

I never admitted anything of the sort. You are a teacher in denial.
1). Am I running MY classroom up to standard?

2). Are my test scores adequate, meaning above ALL State and National Scores in comparison?

Don't you think that is a problem with the students more than the teachers?

There were three notoriously poor performing high schools in our district when I taught in Florida. They were predominantly black and located all together in the northwest part of the metro area, which was the poorest part of town. There were two stellar high schools located in the eastern and southern part of the metro area. These schools were lily white and in the highest socioeconomic areas of the metro area. You could make a list of test scores by high school and then rank the average family income by the metro area and almost without fail, the lists would be identical. We had seventeen high schools. There would never be more than a one or two place disparity in the list. To me it proved my theory that poor students make for poor students, economically and academically.

When I moved to Kentucky, I wound up working at the worst middle school in the state. The school was predominantly black, a magnet for middles schools because it was boys only. It was located in one of the poorest areas of the city, but being a magnet school it drew from across the metro area. It was flooded with immigrant children because of a housing complex run by a charity to suck a point I had two ESL teachers in my class with me, both of whom were also immigrants. I had students who spoke only a dialect from Burma and the district could not even locate a person willing to serve as a translator. These kids spoke exactly zero words of English. How do you teach someone who can't even ask you when they need to go to the bathroom? Most of the time, I was teaching to a class where 50% of the students had no idea what I was talking about in social studies.

How do you fix that problem? I guess you could test me to see if I am competent!

I never admitted anything of the sort. You are a teacher in denial.
What is your knowledge about teachers based on? At best you seem to be arguing policy which the teachers have no say or influence over.

His 'Solution" is just to repeat the talking points, @Blaster
that teachers are indoctrinators, incompetent and ineffective.
You did not address his points.

Forum List

Back