What is it like to live alone?

When my kids grew up and moved out I lived alone for several years. But I wasn't lonely because I had a lot of girlfriends. When you are an available bachelor playing the field until your late 40's your little black book isn't so little anymore. Before I met my wife I was regularly dating about a dozen different girlfriends, so I never had any problem having some good female company over for dinner. I hate having dinner with the TV so I would usually invite a girlfriend over for dinner, drinks and whatever else came to mind. :wink:

During the cell phone boom I got a big contract installing service roads and foundations for cell towers and I was out of town for months at a time and really missed my family a lot. But I would always make sure that I talked to my kids every evening after work. But that isn't the same as seeing them. I wish they had Skype back then. I think that would have made being out of town all the time a little easier on me.

I have lived alone for years. I love it. I far much prefer living alone. Although I do live with my dog who is demanding enough for anyone. Feed me, take me for a walk, love me up, I'm afraid, all doggy demands.

I am not afraid of being attacked. I am always armed with something a knife, gun, straight razor. It would be a good excuse to do a little damage and have it done legally.

Right now the technology is moving toward companion robots which would certainly alleviate any concerns about love or sex. People don't really need people after all.

It makes me sad to read this. If you really felt this way, you wouldn't even post on this board. Of course, we all need some kind of human contact and affection from others of our own species. Even YOU, Tipsycatlover, need love. :)

If YOU want love, get a cocker spaniel. There you go. Now you're loved. Other than that you are so full of shit your eyes must be brown. Seriously do you get your love from a message board? Really? What a miserable sad little existence you must have.

Well, I was actually talking about you and what you said in your post about not needing people. Your "tough guy" act is not as impressive as you seem to think it is. :D

I really don't "need" anyone. I am quite happy without anyone making demands on me and feel quite sorry for anyone who does. Those who have flights of fancy in which they imagine that I am miserable or in fact, have a need for a nag, are assumed to be merely jealous. I've mostly lived alone since 1976, what's it like to be afraid of facing the world by yourself?

There is nothing wrong with living alone. I've lived alone for the past several years (well, my son lives with me, but he is hardly ever home), but you act as if you don't need any human contact at all, but everyone does in one way or another even if they don't want to admit it. You joined a "discussion board" where you know there are other human beings, so that is human contact. :D

I wouldn't mind having a dog though! :D

0d1a34529c50b68daa30e072bb718c83.jpg

How cute is that? Oh, so cute!

I think this is cute:

world-biggest-pitbull-the-hulk-dark-dynasty-k9-12.jpg

I have lived alone for years. I love it. I far much prefer living alone. Although I do live with my dog who is demanding enough for anyone. Feed me, take me for a walk, love me up, I'm afraid, all doggy demands.

I am not afraid of being attacked. I am always armed with something a knife, gun, straight razor. It would be a good excuse to do a little damage and have it done legally.

Right now the technology is moving toward companion robots which would certainly alleviate any concerns about love or sex. People don't really need people after all.

It makes me sad to read this. If you really felt this way, you wouldn't even post on this board. Of course, we all need some kind of human contact and affection from others of our own species. Even YOU, Tipsycatlover, need love. :)

If YOU want love, get a cocker spaniel. There you go. Now you're loved. Other than that you are so full of shit your eyes must be brown. Seriously do you get your love from a message board? Really? What a miserable sad little existence you must have.

Well, I was actually talking about you and what you said in your post about not needing people. Your "tough guy" act is not as impressive as you seem to think it is. :D

I really don't "need" anyone. I am quite happy without anyone making demands on me and feel quite sorry for anyone who does. Those who have flights of fancy in which they imagine that I am miserable or in fact, have a need for a nag, are assumed to be merely jealous. I've mostly lived alone since 1976, what's it like to be afraid of facing the world by yourself?

There is nothing wrong with living alone. I've lived alone for the past several years (well, my son lives with me, but he is hardly ever home), but you act as if you don't need any human contact at all, but everyone does in one way or another even if they don't want to admit it. You joined a "discussion board" where you know there are other human beings, so that is human contact. :D

I don't consider message boards contact. You aren't real people you know. You aren't human. You don't have feelings or emotions. You are simply words on a screen. You could be entirely electronic bots. There are robots now that can carry on entire conversations, they aren't human either.

I don't mind human beings. I simply would prefer not to think of them as living things. So I don't.

I don't consider message boards contact. You aren't real people you know. You aren't human. You don't have feelings or emotions. You are simply words on a screen. You could be entirely electronic bots. There are robots now that can carry on entire conversations, they aren't human either.

I don't mind human beings. I simply would prefer not to think of them as living things. So I don't.

Aww. I knew you wuved us. :D

The friendly attack weiner dog is a good companion for old people.

5167eafd5e610b5d83cc929c9c80326f.jpg
That reminds me of my father-in-law. He loved my Chow dog and would insist I bring him into his house even though they never had a dog live or come in heir house before. But he knew that dog went everywhere I went, ate what I ate and was always by my side. He surprised Rod's siblings with the dog in the house thing when we would visit him and he would always tell me where to get goodies the dog would like from the fridge. One day I told him he needed a dog so he would be alone all the time. He had a fit, "I don't want no g** damn dog and you better not bring me one!" So of course I got him a dog and next time before we left our home state I told him over the phone he was gonna like his new dog. He gruff at me. I found this huge dog at a ceramic shop and we fired it and I painted it to look as real as you could get. When we got to his place after a few minutes I said, "Oh' Rod, go get ur dad's dog". His dad had this aggravated look on his face but when Rod came through the door with that big dog he bust a gut laughing. His dog was a prize possession until he passed.

Last edited:

I think this is cute:

I like pit bulls. They smile. I have neve seen another dog smile like pits do. They have a smile that can light up the room.

I rescued one. Or rather, he came to me and asked for help. He was in bad shape but kept his good humor. I found him a family and that smile, I will never forget the look on his face when he got his forever family.

:cuckoo:

Aww. I knew you wuved us. :D
As long as you don't expect any sympathy when you die, s'okay.

:cuckoo:
Oh come on. Surely those you encounter here don't matter to you in the slightest! I can't believe that a thinking person would have that active of an imagination.

I think this is cute:

I like pit bulls. They smile. I have neve seen another dog smile like pits do. They have a smile that can light up the room.

I rescued one. Or rather, he came to me and asked for help. He was in bad shape but kept his good humor. I found him a family and that smile, I will never forget the look on his face when he got his forever family.
They do have expressive faces. We have a female Pyre that has an under-bite and she has a really cool smile the way her mouth is shape. I should snap a pic of her one day and put it up. Her pup on the other hand is a mix with a bandit face and he almost looks a pretty mischievous when he smiles.

I just got a little 8 pound maltipoo rescue. Damn is he needy and scared of everything. I don't know that I would ever get a rescue dog again if they are this damaged. He may as well be a human male he's such as scared little rabbit.

I've had several rescues. Fostered for a while and all of my dogs are rescues.

Some of them, most actually, except for the puppies take some time. Give him a 6 months to a year or so and you should have a more "normal" dog. Of course most of mine have been labs or shepherds so I don't know much about how these little dogs behave normally, but I'd expect it to be not so different in terms of your seeing some progress as time goes by.

That dog will never forget you saved his ass either. You'll know what I mean in a year or two, I think....

Someone on another forum said, that not having sex doesn't kill you because everyone can buy it from whores, but not getting love does. And this seems true, statistically at least.

What is it about love that kills people? Most old people live alone. They could be attacked at any time, on the street or even inside their homes. But this is not what they seem to be afraid of.

It appears that the lack of love kills them faster than the lack of even personal security.

How afraid are old people for their personal security?

How afraid are they of the lack of love?

How is this?

Discuss.
My cat loves me.

My whores love my money.

That's all I need.

I think this is cute:

I don't believe in having pets that can eat you if they want.

I am always armed with a piston and 2 knives.

You need a knife in each pocket, left and right.

My left (weaker handed) side has a fixed blade knife.

My right (shooting) side has a jack knife.

If I manage to get surprised and tackled then the knife will come in handier than the gun would. Since you don't know what side you will be tackled from you therefore need a knife on each side.

Forum List

Back