What is a feminist?

Yes, we must emulate the example our liberal friends set when discussing women with whom we disagree.

Five Offensive Attacks On Conservative Women - Big Government

So, help me out here.

How does it further your point (that all feminists are ugly) to point out that some liberals are rude about conservative women?

I don't get it.

I know you don't.

I was responding to Modbert's comment that we should not insult someone's looks. The left does it reflexively.

Then on the right, I guess there's just me.

Uhhh..

"The Left" isn't a person. They don't do anything. The people you've posted about said rude things. People say rude things.

I'm certain that I can find just as many conservatives who've said rude things about liberal women. I don't try and blame all conservatives.

You're the one making the outlandish claims on what "the left" does, and then doing the same thing in this very thread.

You'd have a point if you could quote someone who's arguing against you saying something rude about a conservative woman. But no one here is "the left". We're all individuals.

Take my money - perhaps. Offer me a leadership position? Don't think so.

At a minimum NOW and other "women's advocacy groups" should be denouncing the sexist attacks on conservative women (and liberals) regardless of politics. That is their biggest failure to date; and puts them in the irrelevant category with the NAACP.

:rolleyes: Groups aren't irrelevant simply because you say so. Groups also are not irrelevant, especially if you're obsessing over them. Just sayin'.

Many conservative women are calling themselves "feminists" now. That was the point of the OP. Liberal ladies don't like it.

Who cares what the "liberal ladies" do or don't like?

By all means, chanel - you say you consider yourself a feminist.

Therefore, you are. No one gets to tell you what a feminist is or isn't, and no PAC owns the term.

Take my money - perhaps. Offer me a leadership position? Don't think so.

At a minimum NOW and other "women's advocacy groups" should be denouncing the sexist attacks on conservative women (and liberals) regardless of politics. That is their biggest failure to date; and puts them in the irrelevant category with the NAACP.

And I doubt that PNAC would offer me a leadership position.

So?

Many conservative women are calling themselves "feminists" now. That was the point of the OP. Liberal ladies don't like it.

Therefore, you are. No one gets to tell you what a feminist is or isn't, and no PAC owns the term.

I consider myself a feminist too.
And a lesbian.

I consider myself a feminist too.
And a lesbian.
Good for you.

I know you don't.

I was responding to Modbert's comment that we should not insult someone's looks. The left does it reflexively.

More grouping with absolutely no basis. Who is this "The left"?

You're kidding, right?

Are you saying there is no political group or body of thought than can be described as leftist?

For the sake of this discussion, (which questions like yours are causing me to tire of quickly) I will identify as the left anyone who self-desribes as a feminist, or anyone opposed to conservative females. There is no shortage of examples of how conservative females are routinely insulted sexually or for their physical appearance.

Can you find any examples ouside of this thread where conservatives made fun of a liberal female's appearance? (Or must I define conservative first?)

Youre wasting your time with this joker. Next he'll be asking how you can believe anything you see. And maybe we really don't exist at all.

Deserve to be trashed? Not quite. You're the babe in the woods if you expect feminists to be in support of women who go against their entire philosophy.

Their entire philosophy is ironically anti-feminine. They are dishonest when they say they want to promote women's rights. They want to eliminate thru social engenieering any sex differences.

But then feminism as a movement is all but dead.

No, it's just evolved.

As a woman, you don't have to be involved in any particular movement or cause. Women simply want to be treated as equally as their other gender half of the human race first, and second have it accepted that the physical and emotional differences between men and women are not insurmountable as far as being just as productive and important members of society as the opposite sex. That some women act out in order to gain that recognition is no worse than men who act all macho for the same reason.

Last edited:
I know you don't.

You're kidding, right?

Are you saying there is no political group or body of thought than can be described as leftist?

For the sake of this discussion, (which questions like yours are causing me to tire of quickly) I will identify as the left anyone who self-desribes as a feminist, or anyone opposed to conservative females. There is no shortage of examples of how conservative females are routinely insulted sexually or for their physical appearance.

Can you find any examples ouside of this thread where conservatives made fun of a liberal female's appearance? (Or must I define conservative first?)

Remind me who said that Chelsea Clinton was so ugly because Janet Reno is her father?

Yep...hence my comment way back on the first page that it is a term used to bash women that "conservatives" disagree with.

It's really pretty sad that women let themselves get jerked around by assholes like this.

Their entire philosophy is ironically anti-feminine. They are dishonest when they say they want to promote women's rights. They want to eliminate thru social engenieering any sex differences.

But then feminism as a movement is all but dead.

No, it's just evolved.

As a woman, you don't have to be involved in any particular movement or cause. Women simply want to be treated as equally as their other generic half of the human race first, and second have it accepted that the physical and emotional differences between men and women are not insurmountable as far as being just as productive and important members of society as the opposite sex. That some women act out in order to gain that recognition is no worse than men who act all macho for the same reason.

That's what I was getting at.

You're kidding, right?

Remind me who said that Chelsea Clinton was so ugly because Janet Reno is her father?

Chelsea Clinton is a liberal? Who knew?

You're kidding, right?

Chelsea Clinton is a liberal? Who knew?

I thought I was on ignore?

Yep...hence my comment way back on the first page that it is a term used to bash women that "conservatives" disagree with.

It's really pretty sad that women let themselves get jerked around by assholes like this.

Feminists made jokes of themselves as their generation aged. Younger females thought they were nuts, but the term was still around and took on a jokey meaning. Conservatives did not invent the word. If you find it insulting, look into it's history.

From the NOW website:

"How many of you here today know a woman who you think would make a good elected official?" queried Massachusetts State Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz. Hands shot up all over the room. We were in Boston at the National NOW Conference's Political Roundtable, where women politicians and women who worked in politics were discussing how to advance women's rights through electoral politics.

I had raised my hand, almost without thinking. "Who do I know who would be a good elected official?" I wondered. Various people came to mind -- my outspoken friend from college, my dynamic younger sister, my favorite high school teacher, my fellow NOW interns. I wondered if these women would ever run for office, or if, as many women do, they would decide not to run, either because the obstacles were too big or the reward seemingly too small.

The problem is not that women do not win when they run for office. Statistically, women win elections for public office at the same rate men do. However, far fewer qualified women choose to run for office. Even when women do decide to run, there's still the chance that their party (and this applies to both major parties) will not work to support them, deeming a less qualified man "more electable." 1992 was hailed as "the year of the woman," but nearly 20 years later we have yet to achieve gender parity in Congress.

This seems to paint a grim picture for the future of women in electoral politics. But I do not think that is necessarily the case. At the political roundtable, the audience got to hear about all the ways that individuals in Massachusetts and across the country are trying to get girls involved in the political process. One of the most important parts of this effort involves convincing girls that they are capable of being leaders. If girls become involved in leadership positions from an early age, this creates a pipeline that takes them straight from the playground to the public sphere.

I challenge the readers of this blog to think of women they know who would make good elected officials, whether it be your mother, your sister, a co-worker, or maybe even yourself. Ask them why they have never run for office and encourage them to take that plunge. Based on the number of hands that went up when State Senator Chang-Diaz asked her question, we all know someone who could make an impact on politics if only they tried to enter the arena.

women in politics, women leaders, feminist leaders

Ironic ain't it?

There are more women serving on Capital Hill than ever before. There are more woman CEOs than ever before. There are also more woman now serving both roles as breadwinner and head of household. I'd say women have come a loooooooooong way from the 60's bra burning movement. Thank you, Gloria Steinhem!!

Forum List

Back