What constitutes 'you'?

i see our consciousness being a construct of our mind, in turn a construct of our brain.

What of dissociative personality disorder?
this is a contrarian construct of the mind, in turn a construct of the brain.
Would 'you' still exist if all your fleshy parts were incrementally replaced until you were wholly something artificial? Would you still be a person?
i'm not sure what you mean... not about the androidization, but about the 'person' status. i think when we are crippled, we are perceived by others to be made less a man or unwhole or something like that, but we axiomatically affirm people's identity despite that. 'he's still a person.' 'retards are people, too.' i think the self awareness which i referred to is a faculty of a mind with a certain capacity which most humans enjoy and which we largely have in common. i've found that it adapts to our physicality as if operating our body as it is. short and high-voiced as a child, strong and capable in our prime then regressing to frailty as it gets older. the impression through these changes is that the awareness stays the same notwithstanding altering the body.
If you brain, or whatever system we were left with from the above experiment were to be split in two in such a matter than each half functioned independently and was self-aware, would 'you' still exist, or would 'you' cease to exist as we were left with two new 'persons'?
if each half had self-awareness and was able to perceive that there were more than one of itself operating independently, if that is what is being proposed, then i would think there would be independent self consciousness. it's an extension of the idea of reproduction whereby cells from the parents beget an independent individual. if someone were split as such or replicated, there would be two identities perceived severally by each, even if they thought they were the single original progenitor.

i'm taking this all along lines of perception by the minds of first and third parties. i'm not sure if that is what this exercise is about. as far as identity goes, i dont think there is such a thing without perception. dunno.

It seems self-evident that some form of dualism is the reality here. Even if it is based in or emergent from the material, awareness is immaterial- the mind, distinct from the brain, is immaterial.

this is proposed by many to be the soul in the vein of what you asked rider about. religious tradition endows the soul with additional immaterial qualities - inasmuch as an entire dimension or state of existence adding truism to the ostensible independence of the mind from the material. it is an exploration of the if above.

Are 'you' your flesh, your physical form? If so, would 'you' still exist if all your fleshy parts were incrementally replaced until you were wholly something artificial? Would you still be a person?

Are 'you' your sentient mind, your own self-consciousness? If you brain, or whatever system we were left with from the above experiment were to be split in two in such a matter than each half functioned independently and was self-aware, would 'you' still exist, or would 'you' cease to exist as we were left with two new 'persons'?

What makes one a person? What makes a person an individual?

Doood...........

:smoke: Pass it this way.​

Are 'you' your flesh, your physical form? If so, would 'you' still exist if all your fleshy parts were incrementally replaced until you were wholly something artificial? Would you still be a person?

Are 'you' your sentient mind, your own self-consciousness? If you brain, or whatever system we were left with from the above experiment were to be split in two in such a matter than each half functioned independently and was self-aware, would 'you' still exist, or would 'you' cease to exist as we were left with two new 'persons'?

DNA_double_helix_45.PNG

What I am.

cremated.jpg

What will happen when I die.

As for if I became artificial, like an AI of some sort then undoubtedly I would lose something, not a soul, but part of what it is to be human depending on how good the substitute for a human brain would be, and how well the transfer of the brain information from point of death or prior to death went. I would prefer to die however.

How could any creature possibly consider itself 'human' if he couldn't "feel" his nipples get hard while his dick stiffens at her kisses? :eusa_think:

DNA_double_helix_45.PNG

What I am.

cremated.jpg

What will happen when I die.

As for if I became artificial, like an AI of some sort then undoubtedly I would lose something, not a soul, but part of what it is to be human depending on how good the substitute for a human brain would be, and how well the transfer of the brain information from point of death or prior to death went. I would prefer to die however.

How could any creature possibly consider itself 'human' if he couldn't "feel" his nipples get hard while his dick stiffens at her kisses? :eusa_think:
women aren't human?

Doood...........
:smoke: Pass it this way.​

41WY11ARTmL._SS500_.jpg

women aren't human?

Of course women are human! Whatever gave you the idea that I thought differently? The thesis behind my statement HAD to be something that I could personally relate to.

What it "feels" like for her crotch to moisten as her nipples harden at his touch I can understand intellectually, but never RELATE to.

Forum List

Back