God punishes but eternity in hell?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by bigtalker, Nov 23, 2010.

1. bigtalker

bigtalker Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ahhhh…. Just one more thing….
    I found this site in a search about heaven and hell
    The American Christian Society - Home says:
    Basically they are saying something like: it goes against the nature of God to put someone in hell and not give them hope or any chance to change and seek forgiveness. – I think

As a Christian I always struggled with this idea of a permanent hell but don’t know if it is okay to really believe against it.

Any opinions out there about this…?

Danke und Tschüß!!

2. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,825
    It does seem a bit extreme.

A guy who willingly ate a baloney sandwich on a Friday before they changed the rules and died with that mortal sin on his soul is now serving all of eternity in hell with the likes of Hitler.

3. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,156
    I'm not an authority, but seems to me little different than the 'born again' theory, you know, where a 'christian' can claim they have accepted Jesus and be immediately forgiven of past behavior.
    If God exists, and if God created all humanity in his image, then anyone who kills, harms, injures, hates, discriminates against another human being is fucked - for ever.

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    God or Jesus?
    Are not Christians supposed to live Christlike lives?

5. FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit Pura Vida

Thanks Received:
    Florida, but would rather be in TX or Costa Rica
    Ratings:
    +15
    People get a life-time to choose whether or not they truly want to be sold out to God and have a relationship with Him, or if they want to live for their own pleasure and however they please. There are consequences at the end of your days, and that's how it goes.

If you can't live for Him, by the choice of your own free will , right now, then the only reason you would choose Him once you get to Hell, is because you're in torment, and of course you want God then, but you didn't before you were there. So now your choice to want God is probably based on the torment and pain you feel, not because it is...or ever was... truly desired.

Therefore, I don't think it's so unrealistic to think of people forever in a place where there is no God and never will be. Rejecting God has serious and eternal consequences. His grace is sufficient, but after people reject Him long enough, I'm pretty sure his patience runs out, too.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. bigtalker

bigtalker Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ahhh...one more thing... to think about...
    This sounds like it goes against God... all loving, forgiving...
    BTW - I wasn't allways a Christian - so If I died before salvation I guess to bad for me...?

7. bigtalker

bigtalker Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes, Christians should be Christ like – but all fall short.

8. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    You know, I've always had a bit of a problem with the whole "damnation for eternity thing".

First off, John 3:16 states "For God so loved the world that He gave His Only Begotten Son that whosovever believeth in Him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life." That doesn't promise eternity, it promises forever from the beginning point of your birth.

In order for you to be somewhere "for eternity", you would have had to be here before you were born and here long after you die. No.........people don't go to hell for eternity. If you have a belly button, you have a beginning, and therefore are not eternal.

Additionally, it states in the Torah that around the 40 day point of your conception, God carves off a small piece of Himself from under His Throne of Glory with the blade of self will, and places that into the embryo created by your parents. That is what you know as your "soul".

Now........if we're all a small piece of God, why would He throw us away?

Nope, got news for y'all.........EVERYONE eventually gets out of hell. Even Hitler.

9. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,156
    Please review the final line in my signature. In my (possibly ignorant) opinion, as an agnotic, it seems to me if you're correct Hell will need to be a very very very large place. Heaven on the other hand might fit on the head of a pin.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  10. bigtalker

bigtalker Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    wow good post - I appreciate the comments - gives me a lot to think about
    ah... just one more thing... why do you type "even Hitler"...?