What car will you buy before the government tells you you can't?

In the 80's I seem to recall that cars got better gas mileage than today's cars. I remember 40+mpg. What happened?

Cheap High MPG Cars: 1985

They were all piece of shit cars that fell apart after the first 50,000 miles. And it took two minutes to go from zero to 60.

I often wonder where people live where they need to get from zero to 60 so fast. Are you rushing to work or escaping from home?

Or just trying to merge into traffic that isn't slowing down from a on ramp that is also an exit ramp.

I always wonder why toolers-along are in my freakin way acting like they have nowhere to go. If you have that much time in your life to waste, you aren't working hard enough.

I currently own a 2004 Pilot. It only has 35,000 miles on it and I will keep the thing till it falls apart. The car that replaces it will be sizable, possibly another Pilot or SUV. Will big cars be completely gone in the future? I don't see that; there's a demand for 'family' type vehicles, imo. If my family of 5 plus the dog were to take a vacation down the shore for a week, we currently all fit into the Pilot. If we owned two small cars (Corollas or the like) two cars would be taken because we simply don't all fit. How's that better?

I want to see Herr Obama explain how he's going to get an 8-10-12 ft ladder and 1000 ft of 10ft long conduit in one of his little Hot Wheels.

I drive a truck because I need one and he can piss off.

You can still have a truck, most 1 tons and up are exempt for the strictest standards and it's overall mileage on the line up, some will do better than 35.5 and some will do worse.

Won't a V6 with about 185-200HP do? That's very feasible with the new standards. We should have done this 15-20 years ago, waiting this long just made it worse, and waiting longer will hurt even more.

No, we should have come up with an alternative source of fuel and or taken our oil off the world market in the 70s, but for all the crying Dems do, you get the Bill Clinton answer: "If we start drilling now it'll be 7-10 years ....." That was 15 years ago.

And no, a V-6 will NOT do. More "adequate" is good enough from the mediocre left. "Adequate" means I have a truck that's ragged out in 3-5 years. A 6 liter 8 in a 2500HD means my truck is 8 years old and I've only had to replace batteries and tires.

That's the problem with that mindest. "Making do", "adequate" ... just call it what it is: mediocrity. That's not good enough. I don't bust my ass for the government to leave me a mediocre amount of my check, and I don't buy vehicles that'll "just do" for 3 years.

there were lots of small cars in Europe when I lived there (89-95). Primarily that was because people had so little disposable income. The primary lesson though, and I believe it underlies some of the thinking in The Prophet's administration, was that these cars mostly did duty in highly populus areas. Like the east coast is: Boston-Washington corridor.

Believe Washington is playing a much bigger game. The Cafe standards topic is just the tip of the iceberg. At the end of the day, I believe we need to move to electric cars and nuclear energy. I think they are taking the old approach to easing everyone into whatever they are really planning so the whole movement cannot be voted down to being still born. Ever watch the expressions of some of The Prophet's domestic agency heads? I see quiet cats with birds in their mouths. These are agenda people.

EXCEPT Obama and his chosen are OPPOSED to Nuclear power.

Is he?

Or are you just -- per usual -- winging it based on your own perverted sense of liberalism hoping to insult people you are too god damned stupid and angry to understand?

Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama favors the continued use of nuclear power and sees it as an integral and inevitable part of any effective U.S. energy policy, especially in light of growing concerns about global warming.

source

Not hard to understand sheeple who put mindless partisan politics ahead of reality. Not hard at all.

Some of these are pretty cool. Something for everyone? Skull should take note of #3. And #4 looks like a decent riding sedan.

Green Means Go: 10 eco-friendly rides for your commute | DVICE

But i do not commute to work. I just stroll downstairs with my coffee. So I think I'll opt for the muscle car.

procharger_dodge_challenger_srt8_main_630-1113.jpg

I haven't seen a car in decades I really thought was cool, but the new Challenger DEFINITELY is it. If the automaton leftist slugs weren't bloodsucking my money I could probably afford one.

Most of you people here are so full of spoon fed shit from Detroit that you have no idea that the technology to have large, very efficient vehicles has been around for years.

t Commodity
Almost immediately following the SEMA Show, Goodwin received a call from Martin Tobias, the CEO of Imperium Renewables, with an out-of-the-ordinary pitch. He wanted to convert a beat-up classic American muscle car to run on biodiesel for a special Earth Day episode of MTV Network’s “Pimp My Ride” (PMR) television show. Goodwin agreed and flew out to Galpin Auto Sports’ garage in Southern California to begin work earlier this year. After 500 hours of taping and build time, the outcome was the ideal “green machine”—an 800 horsepower biodiesel-powered 1965 Chevrolet Impala that gets 25 miles per gallon (mpg). Not only did Goodwin convert the engine despite skepticism from producers of the show, but the car also demonstrated the sheer performance that can be achieved using the renewable fuel. The upgraded Impala raced a Lamborghini at the Pomona Raceway and left it in the dust. “I’m glad that I was able to show them that this diesel engine running on canola oil can pretty much yield all the power that you want,” Goodwin says.

When the green machine covered a quarter mile in about 12 seconds it caught a lot of attention. Rap artist Dr. Dre offered to purchase the vehicle dubbed the “Bio Rocket,” and Tobias and Schwarzenegger were in attendance for the race during the final day of the PMR shooting. Both are having their personal vehicles converted by Goodwin this summer. “Governor Schwarzenegger came right up and started talking to me about the conversion, and I introduced myself as the person who had done it,” Goodwin says. “The next thing you know we were over there talking about his Jeep Grand Wagoneer and we are now in the middle of negotiations on converting that.” Goodwin is putting a Duramax diesel engine into a 2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT for Tobias, and adding his patented ethanol fuel injection technology that will allow the car to get 30 mpg and add 110 percent horsepower to somewhere around 800, conservatively, Goodwin says. The vehicle will have a number of customized changes, including no chrome parts, he says.
H-Line Conversions - Hummer H1 & H2 Diesel and Green Fuel Conversions - Wichita, Kansas

Some of these are pretty cool. Something for everyone? Skull should take note of #3. And #4 looks like a decent riding sedan.

Green Means Go: 10 eco-friendly rides for your commute | DVICE

But i do not commute to work. I just stroll downstairs with my coffee. So I think I'll opt for the muscle car.

procharger_dodge_challenger_srt8_main_630-1113.jpg

I haven't seen a car in decades I really thought was cool, but the new Challenger DEFINITELY is it. If the automaton leftist slugs weren't bloodsucking my money I could probably afford one.

Now if you knew as much as you think you do, you could probably afford a dozen of them:lol:

I currently own a 2004 Pilot. It only has 35,000 miles on it and I will keep the thing till it falls apart. The car that replaces it will be sizable, possibly another Pilot or SUV. Will big cars be completely gone in the future? I don't see that; there's a demand for 'family' type vehicles, imo. If my family of 5 plus the dog were to take a vacation down the shore for a week, we currently all fit into the Pilot. If we owned two small cars (Corollas or the like) two cars would be taken because we simply don't all fit. How's that better?

I want to see Herr Obama explain how he's going to get an 8-10-12 ft ladder and 1000 ft of 10ft long conduit in one of his little Hot Wheels.

When did he say the government was going to control how the vehicles are designed? Projections and lies. Let's have YOUR solutions to all our ills, Gunny, including salvaging what's left of our #1 industry. Can you do that?

They were all piece of shit cars that fell apart after the first 50,000 miles. And it took two minutes to go from zero to 60.

I often wonder where people live where they need to get from zero to 60 so fast. Are you rushing to work or escaping from home?

Or just trying to merge into traffic that isn't slowing down from a on ramp that is also an exit ramp.

I always wonder why toolers-along are in my freakin way acting like they have nowhere to go. If you have that much time in your life to waste, you aren't working hard enough.

Yep. YOU RULE. We get that. I'll bet you can also clear a room really fast. Such a fine fella.

EXCEPT Obama and his chosen are OPPOSED to Nuclear power.

Is he?

Or are you just -- per usual -- winging it based on your own perverted sense of liberalism hoping to insult people you are too god damned stupid and angry to understand?

Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama favors the continued use of nuclear power and sees it as an integral and inevitable part of any effective U.S. energy policy, especially in light of growing concerns about global warming.

source

Not hard to understand sheeple who put mindless partisan politics ahead of reality. Not hard at all.

You should know how that goes. Look in the mirror.

Most of you people here are so full of spoon fed shit from Detroit that you have no idea that the technology to have large, very efficient vehicles has been around for years.

t Commodity
Almost immediately following the SEMA Show, Goodwin received a call from Martin Tobias, the CEO of Imperium Renewables, with an out-of-the-ordinary pitch. He wanted to convert a beat-up classic American muscle car to run on biodiesel for a special Earth Day episode of MTV Network’s “Pimp My Ride” (PMR) television show. Goodwin agreed and flew out to Galpin Auto Sports’ garage in Southern California to begin work earlier this year. After 500 hours of taping and build time, the outcome was the ideal “green machine”—an 800 horsepower biodiesel-powered 1965 Chevrolet Impala that gets 25 miles per gallon (mpg). Not only did Goodwin convert the engine despite skepticism from producers of the show, but the car also demonstrated the sheer performance that can be achieved using the renewable fuel. The upgraded Impala raced a Lamborghini at the Pomona Raceway and left it in the dust. “I’m glad that I was able to show them that this diesel engine running on canola oil can pretty much yield all the power that you want,” Goodwin says.

When the green machine covered a quarter mile in about 12 seconds it caught a lot of attention. Rap artist Dr. Dre offered to purchase the vehicle dubbed the “Bio Rocket,” and Tobias and Schwarzenegger were in attendance for the race during the final day of the PMR shooting. Both are having their personal vehicles converted by Goodwin this summer. “Governor Schwarzenegger came right up and started talking to me about the conversion, and I introduced myself as the person who had done it,” Goodwin says. “The next thing you know we were over there talking about his Jeep Grand Wagoneer and we are now in the middle of negotiations on converting that.” Goodwin is putting a Duramax diesel engine into a 2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT for Tobias, and adding his patented ethanol fuel injection technology that will allow the car to get 30 mpg and add 110 percent horsepower to somewhere around 800, conservatively, Goodwin says. The vehicle will have a number of customized changes, including no chrome parts, he says.
H-Line Conversions - Hummer H1 & H2 Diesel and Green Fuel Conversions - Wichita, Kansas

yeah that'd be great if high quality biodiesel was available for most people. I've made it but there are a host of problems that come with running home made biodiesel in a car.

Gummed up fuel lines, filters and injectors to name a few.

And did that car run on 100% biodiesel or was it 5%?

In order to prove to my president that I love my country and that I am a true American, I now drive a Cushman as my daily transportation source. It gets 50+mpg and now I no longer have to hug a tree for 30 min. each day to feel good about myself. Oh and they have not asked for any bailout money!

If you think I am kidding, your wrong! :razz:

Attachments

• $09 CUSHMAN FIVE.jpg
    $09 CUSHMAN FIVE.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 36
Ok what the hell are most of you whining about someone is trying to push for higher gas mileage standards and all I hear is whining. You complain when gas gets high then when someone pushes for more efficiency you complain about that this rule is for new cars coming out not the old ones. So if you want to keep your used or old cars that came out before it took effect and when gas goes up and everyone knows it will more from the growth of car ownership in China than taxes here in the U.S. dont whine just take it pay till you get a hole in your pocket/wallet/bank account or put yourself in debt. I dont see the big freaking deal about this it is common sense to do better countries that are less powerful economically and militarily are doing more on this front among others. People step up and help this country do better.

Ok what the hell are most of you whining about someone is trying to push for higher gas mileage standards and all I hear is whining. You complain when gas gets high then when someone pushes for more efficiency you complain about that this rule is for new cars coming out not the old ones. So if you want to keep your used or old cars that came out before it took effect and when gas goes up and everyone knows it will more from the growth of car ownership in China than taxes here in the U.S. dont whine just take it pay till you get a hole in your pocket/wallet/bank account or put yourself in debt. I dont see the big freaking deal about this it is common sense to do better countries that are less powerful economically and militarily are doing more on this front among others. People step up and help this country do better.

They whine about anything Obama does. It's gotten so old, nobody pays any real attention to their blather anymore.

They whine about anything Obama does. It's gotten so old, nobody pays any real attention to their blather anymore.

:lol: Yeah, that's why you have several posts in here. :lol:

The point here is that the government is simply exercising more control over our lives.

What cars we can choose to buy, what food we choose to eat, what we choose to smoke or drink etc etc etc are all fair game for government control.

Do you so easily give up your freedoms?

:lol: Yeah, that's why you have several posts in here. :lol:

I'm talking about all the insignificant shit that gets posted like life or death events.

Ahhhhh ... c'mon now. We can even put some 22's on it for ya.

9750d1213122174-possible-carry-4x8-sheet-plywood-roof-rack-lumber.jpg

The point here is that the government is simply exercising more control over our lives.

What cars we can choose to buy, what food we choose to eat, what we choose to smoke or drink etc etc etc are all fair game for government control.

Do you so easily give up your freedoms?

Stupid lifestyles (smoking, overeating to the point of obesity) are costly, if not to taxpayers then also to business owners and medical facilities. Do you enjoy footing the bills?

Forum List

Back