What car will you buy before the government tells you you can't?

When the death toll starts rising sharply because these little tin cans can't hold up in a crash, things will change again. It's a trade off - great fuel efficiency and smaller, lighter cars or less fuel efficiency and bigger, heavy cars. I'll take the latter.

The problem with safety wouldn't be so glaring if everyone drove small cars and we made the penalties for DUI much higher. Still, we have more big vehicles on the road than Europe, and we always will, so safety is an issue.

With Obama's new fuel standards, possible because the government now owns the auto business, we will soon have less choice when it comes to what we are allowed to drive.

That being said, what cars and/or trucks do you want to buy before 2016?

My first choice:
2009-hurst-hemi-dodge-challenger-front-angle-588x441.jpg

6 speed manual transmission
6.1 liter Hemi.
425 Horse Power before tweaking.

Choice 2:

2008_ford_super_duty_450_op.jpg

You'll still be able to purchase a vehicle like this. The mileage standards only effect cars and light trucks.

With Obama's new fuel standards, possible because the government now owns the auto business, we will soon have less choice when it comes to what we are allowed to drive.

That being said, what cars and/or trucks do you want to buy before 2016?

My first choice:
2009-hurst-hemi-dodge-challenger-front-angle-588x441.jpg

6 speed manual transmission
6.1 liter Hemi.
425 Horse Power before tweaking.

Choice 2:

2008_ford_super_duty_450_op.jpg

You'll still be able to purchase a vehicle like this. The mileage standards only effect cars and light trucks.

the picture of my dodge challenger with the 6.1 liter hemi didn't show

procharger_dodge_challenger_srt8_main_630-1113.jpg

Now, imagine if the car in this picture was a Smart Car or something similar rather than a VW Crossfox. You probably wouldn't be able to find the car.

If you hit a semi head on...not much is gonna survive!

True, but I feel much safer in my FJ Cruiser than I would in a Crossfox or a Smart Car, and my chances of surviving are greatly increased, no matter how small they may be. Just sayin'.

I currently own a 2004 Pilot. It only has 35,000 miles on it and I will keep the thing till it falls apart. The car that replaces it will be sizable, possibly another Pilot or SUV. Will big cars be completely gone in the future? I don't see that; there's a demand for 'family' type vehicles, imo. If my family of 5 plus the dog were to take a vacation down the shore for a week, we currently all fit into the Pilot. If we owned two small cars (Corollas or the like) two cars would be taken because we simply don't all fit. How's that better?

oh they won't be gone. They will however be unaffordable. Obama wants us all to drive those faggy little lighter than a tin can Smart cars

1smartcar.jpg

I wouldn't drive one of those glorified golf carts, but there is no reason we can't raise fuel standards.

jesus fucking christ.. what car WONT look like that when face with a goddamn 18 wheeler? Certainly SUVs are no guarantee.

h-route-22-acc-car.jpg

Hey, I know.. let's show a VW bug getting crushed by a fucking german tank and see if we can project some bullshit about the safety of gas hogs.

:thup:

Having "glorified golf carts" for non-highway city driving wold not only reduce the cost of oil imports but reduce the demand for gas.. Any of you stupid fucking caitalistas want to venture a guess on what that does to gas prices? And, to boot, heaven fucking forbid we actually develop a product here in the US that can't be made by goddamn slaves in a third world country. Whats the matter with Kansas, indeed.

In the 80's I seem to recall that cars got better gas mileage than today's cars. I remember 40+mpg. What happened?

Cheap High MPG Cars: 1985

The environuts happened.

I thought the environuts were responsible for the great gas mileage in cars back then. Gas stopped becoming an issue and the cars . . . . got bigger and bigger and suckier and suckier at mileage. Wasn't there a car called a Yukon or something, an SUV-type, that got like 50 mpg? What's the difference between that car and today's SUVs?

In the 80's I seem to recall that cars got better gas mileage than today's cars. I remember 40+mpg. What happened?

Cheap High MPG Cars: 1985

They were all piece of shit cars that fell apart after the first 50,000 miles. And it took two minutes to go from zero to 60.

Yes they were! I remember my friend had a Chevy Chevette it was a total piece of crap. She used to floor the car and . . . . putz, putz, putz. There was nothing there. OMG it was such a waste of a car.

I've always driven bigger cars, although I must admit smaller cars now are a blast to drive. We have a Corolla that my husband mostly drives; I'd probably have speeding tickets if I drove it all the time.

I'm fine with increasing fuel efficiency in cars, but not at the expense of making the cars crap like they were or making them less safe. But maybe that's the idea . . . little disposable cars that only last 5 years then, time to buy another one. After all, it is Government Motors now, right?

Forum List

Back