what are your picks for the nfl games?

One play doesn't make a football game, the Pats had plenty of chances to win that game in the other 60 or so plays.

Exactly. All the pundits said the Seahawks were a crappy team cuz they barely beat the Panthers in Carolina in week one. They were and are a whole lot better team than they are given credit for.

I have not once heard the Seahawks called a crappy team by a single pundit. Not at any time during the year.

In fact, they have been considered a top-5 team by almost everyone since the beginning of the season from what I can recall.

Link ?

Exactly. All the pundits said the Seahawks were a crappy team cuz they barely beat the Panthers in Carolina in week one. They were and are a whole lot better team than they are given credit for.

I have not once heard the Seahawks called a crappy team by a single pundit. Not at any time during the year.

In fact, they have been considered a top-5 team by almost everyone since the beginning of the season from what I can recall.

Link ?

Here's the NFL.com power rankings from week 1....before the first games were played. The Hawks are third.

Power Rankings: 49ers, Broncos, Seahawks rule to start season - NFL.com

I don't know why it was easier to find week 1 ranking from Sports Illustrated Kids than just SI, but here it is, Hawks again listed at #3 :

NFL Power Rankings ? Week 1 | Sports Illustrated Kids

Here's ESPN listing Seattle #1 in their rankings week 1 :

NFL Power Rankings Week 1 - National Football League - ESPN

Seattle has been considered a top team pretty much since the end of last year, definitely during the off-season when they acquired some big name improvements like Harvin and Avril.

The rankings after week 1 are about the same, Seattle was considered a top-3 team.

Stop trying to make it seem like Seattle has overcome such long odds to be the best team. They have been good and widely acknowledged as such since last year. They haven't had to play the underdog, everyone knows how tough a team they are. :lol:

Link ?

Here's the NFL.com power rankings from week 1....before the first games were played. The Hawks are third.

I don't know why it was easier to find week 1 ranking from Sports Illustrated Kids than just SI, but here it is, Hawks again listed at #3 :

Seattle has been considered a top team pretty much since the end of last year, definitely during the off-season when they acquired some big name improvements like Harvin and Avril.

The rankings after week 1 are about the same, Seattle was considered a top-3 team.

Stop trying to make it seem like Seattle has overcome such long odds to be the best team. They have been good and widely acknowledged as such since last year. They haven't had to play the underdog, everyone knows how tough a team they are. :lol:

The word I used to provoke your industrious detective work was meant as a joke.

I have been following the Seattle Seahawks diligently since the inception of the team. I have looked at the power rankings every Tuesday(that's when they are all finally out) every week for several years since the use of the internet in sports reporting and in the magazines and news papers before that. I am as aware of the intimate details of my team as much as a fan can possibly be. I used to go to training camp to get a close up look at the new additions to the team. Now with the intense reporting that goes on by those that have complete access to the team I no longer personally inspect the Seahawks. :lol: With features such as the RealRobReport there is as much close and personal information as anyone with a life has the time to view.

I know how good the Seahawks are. They are one play(the blocked FG that was picked up and run in for a TD in Indy) away from being undefeated. They totally destroyed the Falcons in Atlanta two weeks ago and the over rated Saints went in there tonight and almost lost ...several times. Ryan had several deep drives that led to FGs and fumbles and 4 and outs and missed FGs. If the Falcons hadn't shot themselves in the dick several times when they were close enough to score they should have won by 2-3 TDs. Meaning.. I study the future opponents of the Seahawks with great interest also.

Thanks again for the links provided. My "favorites" feature has around fifty on internet "speed dial".

I also cruze through many of the message boards associated with the opponents of the Seahawks and the teams those opponents play.

I don't watch much of the football I would like to..to suppliment my knowledge because the NFL and ESPN has taken up the nasty greedy practice of charging for watching many games I would be interested in seeing in real time. Fortunately most of the highlights and in depth reviews are still without charge. I refuse to pay for TV or computer access to football games.

One of my friends has offered to give me his access to NFL rewind. I may take him up on it.

Again I apologize for screwing around and leading those that read my drivel that I have some naive notion that my Seahawks are underdogs this season. They are currently 3/1 odds to win the 2014 Superbowl starting out just before the last Superbowl at 12/1. I encouraged as many people as I could at that time to invest everything they could in those odds.

I give the Saints some slack for last night's game. Divisional games can always be a bitch. ;)

I hope they show up at Century Link field with a similar lack of focus. :lol:

We are NOT the Falcons. We are going to go all Ritchie Incognito all over thier gumbo slurping asses.

No doubt many of the Saints will put calls in to the NFL head office and drop a dime on how Seattle "bullied" them. :lol:

I give the Saints some slack for last night's game. Divisional games can always be a bitch. ;)

We are NOT the Falcons. We are going to go all Ritchie Incognito all over thier gumbo slurping asses.

No doubt many of the Saints will put calls in to the NFL head office and drop a dime on how Seattle "bullied" them. :lol:

Did you see the hit on Ryan that wasn't flagged? Remarkably similar to the hit on Brees by Ahmad Brooks that was flagged and then fined. :eusa_shhh:

I get why the NFL wants to protect the big name QBs, but sometimes it seems a little too blatant.

Did you see the hit on Ryan that wasn't flagged? Remarkably similar to the hit on Brees by Ahmad Brooks that was flagged and then fined. :eusa_shhh:

I get why the NFL wants to protect the big name QBs, but sometimes it seems a little too blatant.

The NFL is just like the WWE, they've already decided who's going to be in the STUPID BOWL. And they use the refs the same way. Last night a Falcon player reached the ball over the goal line, and the ref was standing right at the line and called it touchdown, even though his knee was down at the four. At least that call was reviewable, but so many aren't. Like the interference flag in the end zone in the Patriots game that was picked up. Every game is decided by the bad calls the refs make or don't make. I'll bet that the refs have been told by the commissioner, to keep the games close so the fans stay interested.

I watched some of the game on a radio broadcast on the internet. :lol: It was described in great detail by the Atlanta station broadcasting team.

The problem, as always, with officiating is consistancy. Some crews appear biased because they are not consistant within a game and as a league it's clear that in some games the rules are not called the same as in other ones.

Many rules are up to interpretation. Pass interference, holding and now the desperate attempt to protect QBs has made the game frustrating to players, coaches and fans. If the league keeps pushing the envelope towards rules that can radically change a games outcome then the only obvious remedy is to include refereeing in the list of booth replayable situations. Clear game altering infractions that are missed should be allowed to be reviewed even if it slows the game a few minutes to get it right. The officials should not be allowed to change outcomes by thier mistakes.

The rules are what they are. Every player needs to learn the rules and coach's need to coach the players to play within the rules. Now that there has finally been established a replay review system for certain play it seems that it should be easy to include penalties or lack of calls to the system the same way coaches now have the ability to demand a review of other aspects of the game.

It's not even the same game any more. Can't hit the QB below the knees or above the shoulders. Can't hit a receiver to dislodge the ball when he's in the air. Can't tackle by the shoulder pads. Can't block any tackler if he's already engaged with another blocker. Can't lead with the helmet when tackling the ball carrier. Within five years tackling won't be in the game, so that half the players can be women.

It's not even the same game any more. Can't hit the QB below the knees or above the shoulders. Can't hit a receiver to dislodge the ball when he's in the air. Can't tackle by the shoulder pads. Can't block any tackler if he's already engaged with another blocker. Can't lead with the helmet when tackling the ball carrier. Within five years tackling won't be in the game, so that half the players can be women.

Can't permanently disable another player to win a friggen game.

I think a QB should be treated like a kicker when he's throwing.
I think a WR should be tackled while in the process of making a catch, not knocked into next week.

I like hitting but clean hits, not hits intended on causing serious injury. Hit em in the numbers, not the knees or the head.

I think a WR should be tackled while in the process of making a catch, not knocked into next week.

I like hitting but clean hits, not hits intended on causing serious injury. Hit em in the numbers, not the knees or the head.

But there is a big difference between a big hit to the head and a hand slapping the helmet during the course of an otherwise clean hit. It is the ticky-tack little BS calls that really annoy, not the big helmet-to-helmet types of hits.

With the 'defenseless receivers', it's basically saying that at a certain point, you have to stop defending. It's ridiculous. Even a clean hit is a penalty while a receiver is attempting to make a catch, which is the time you most want to hit them to try and prevent the catch!

Player safety is fine, but with reasonable measures and some consistency would be nice.

But there is a big difference between a big hit to the head and a hand slapping the helmet during the course of an otherwise clean hit. It is the ticky-tack little BS calls that really annoy, not the big helmet-to-helmet types of hits.

With the 'defenseless receivers', it's basically saying that at a certain point, you have to stop defending. It's ridiculous. Even a clean hit is a penalty while a receiver is attempting to make a catch, which is the time you most want to hit them to try and prevent the catch!

Player safety is fine, but with reasonable measures and some consistency would be nice.

Nope. So called clean hits are just murderous aggression intended to cause harm disguised as big-time hits. Knocking heads is one thing if both are doing it. Aiming for someones' head is another thing. Throwing a punch or a clubbed fist is merely an attempt to injure another player. Trying to slap away the ball is one thing. Trying to knock someone's head off is another.

I played football in H.S. and college and I know how it is. I also wrote a thesis on football related injures years ago when I was playing.

American football is a violent sport. It is not dog fighting. The participants don't get killed every time they take the field. I can't remember the last time there was a fatality in a NFL football game.

I resent the mindset that grown men should not be able to choose to test thier physical abilities to withstand impact from other grown men in the endeavor to get a football down the field and accross a goal line.

I agree that the testing for long term injury and the resulting fallout from brain damage needs to be made clear to every participant from Pee Wee to the Pros. Parents should be well aware of the potential for damage to thier children especially.

Once an athlete has made it through high school and has the talent to use his ability on a football field to get a college education he has to make a decision wether to risk his future health against the possibility of taking his skill to the pros and make a boat load of money and fame.

I believe that at the level of college on forward there should be a method of insuring a player be compensated for taking the risks that go with playing against people that are capable of really causing serious permanent damage. The colleges should pool a fund to pay for college related damage to it's football players. The pros should have a realistic insurance program also that acts like any workplace L and I that compensates any football related injury for the life of the player if neccessary.

Other than monetary recovery for lost earnings and medical costs I say let em play. They are big boys. If they choose to play a game for a living and our entertainment then let them play and let us be entertained.

The media is currently conducting a war against the NFL.

Networks like NBC owe much of their success to the NFL. However they are attempting to bite the hand that feeds them by criticizing everything they can think of from hard hits to the name of a team.

I decided that I will not watch their programing as long they continue to talk about head injuries, gun-control, and renaming teams during halftime.

If I was the NFL I would refuse to allow NBC to broadcast their games, because NBC is trying to destroy the NFL through their propaganda.

Nope. So called clean hits are just murderous aggression intended to cause harm disguised as big-time hits. Knocking heads is one thing if both are doing it. Aiming for someones' head is another thing. Throwing a punch or a clubbed fist is merely an attempt to injure another player. Trying to slap away the ball is one thing. Trying to knock someone's head off is another.

I played football in H.S. and college and I know how it is. I also wrote a thesis on football related injures years ago when I was playing.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. :redface:

Any touching of the quarterback's head, whether a violent hit or the merest graze, is a personal foul penalty nowadays.

Any touching of the quarterback's head, whether a violent hit or the merest graze, is a personal foul penalty nowadays.

Unless you are smackin Matty Ice. Then it's OK..No..actually encouraged.. !! :lol:

Last edited:

Link ?

Colin Cowherd, Mike Greenberg have made them early on favorites to win it all. I have heard one football person say Seattle isn't for real this season. They were picked as contenders early on.

The reason for that is to prevent the practice entirely.

Professionals learn ways of bending the rules and this is intended to end the bitching that goes on afterwards, and the legal actions.

Last edited:

Colin Cowherd, Mike Greenberg have made them early on favorites to win it all. I have heard one football person say Seattle isn't for real this season. They were picked as contenders early on.

Who is playing the best during the playoffs usually goes to the Superbowl and usually wins.

Forum List

Back