Expect Chiefs to be the new team to give their city and fans the middle finger in the No Fan Loyalty league.

The latest update to this story is that the proposed tax increase to fund a new Royals stadium and renovation of Arrowhead Stadium was rejected by voters on April 2nd, however, my guess is it will eventually be sorted out since the Chiefs lease of Arrowhead extends through 2031.

Well let me put some of this into perspective since I lived in Houston for decades. We had an NFL team owner named Bud Adams. The Oilers played in the Astrodome. It was shared with the Astros. The Astros owner in the 70’s and 80s was a guy named John McMullen who was the master lease holder. When you went to an Oiler game at the Astrodome, the owner of the Astros got a cut of the gate, food sales, parking, etc.. To appease Adams into keeping the Oilers there, the County built 66 luxury suites across what was the outfield of the baseball configuration. This necessitated getting rid of this giant scoreboard that was in the outfield.

It wasn’t enough and Bud moved the team to Nashville by way of Memphis. Flash forward to the 2000’s. Amazingly, seeing he concessions made to Adams, the other sports team owners decided they have had just about enough of the Astrodome and the basketball arena too--the Summit. The Houston Sports Authority set to building replacement stadiums for the Astros, the Rockets and the new team the Texans. A fourth stadium was built for the Houston Dynamo--an MLS team. Four new stadiums. Promises of jobs, tax revenue, notoriety, money, etc... flooded in from every corner. The reality is that the jobs never came, the tax revenue has been marginal, the notoriety has done nothing. Sidebar: When Elon Musk decided to move to Austin, TX...was the fact that there are no professional sports teams there make a difference? No. So that old chestnut is pure fiction. The facts are this....There are still homeless shelters within 2 or 3 blocks of the baseball stadium; there has not been this great wave of development bringing shops, restaurants, hotels, housing, etc... the football stadium sits empty for about 300 days a year. The basketball arena is likely the only one of the three that would actually turn a profit if it were not propped up by tax dollars. The soccer stadium? Please.

Kansas City voters did the responsible thing. There is little serious debate about that given the examples in other cities.

Well let me put some of this into perspective since I lived in Houston for decades. We had an NFL team owner named Bud Adams. The Oilers played in the Astrodome. It was shared with the Astros. The Astros owner in the 70’s and 80s was a guy named John McMullen who was the master lease holder. When you went to an Oiler game at the Astrodome, the owner of the Astros got a cut of the gate, food sales, parking, etc.. To appease Adams into keeping the Oilers there, the County built 66 luxury suites across what was the outfield of the baseball configuration. This necessitated getting rid of this giant scoreboard that was in the outfield.

It wasn’t enough and Bud moved the team to Nashville by way of Memphis. Flash forward to the 2000’s. Amazingly, seeing he concessions made to Adams, the other sports team owners decided they have had just about enough of the Astrodome and the basketball arena too--the Summit. The Houston Sports Authority set to building replacement stadiums for the Astros, the Rockets and the new team the Texans. A fourth stadium was built for the Houston Dynamo--an MLS team. Four new stadiums. Promises of jobs, tax revenue, notoriety, money, etc... flooded in from every corner. The reality is that the jobs never came, the tax revenue has been marginal, the notoriety has done nothing. Sidebar: When Elon Musk decided to move to Austin, TX...was the fact that there are no professional sports teams there make a difference? No. So that old chestnut is pure fiction. The facts are this....There are still homeless shelters within 2 or 3 blocks of the baseball stadium; there has not been this great wave of development bringing shops, restaurants, hotels, housing, etc... the football stadium sits empty for about 300 days a year. The basketball arena is likely the only one of the three that would actually turn a profit if it were not propped up by tax dollars. The soccer stadium? Please.

Kansas City voters did the responsible thing. There is little serious debate about that given the examples in other cities.
Interesting story, and it illustrates what my belief has always been, is that sometimes the greed and profiteering on the part of the owners is like a cancer to a sports team as well as it's host city.

Clark Hunt has access to more than enough resources to rennovate Arrowhead Stadium, and for that matter, even enough to build a brand new stadium.

Most of the friends and relatives that I have who live in Kansas City have been season ticket holders for decades, and not one of them voted for the tax increase, and if I lived there, I would not have either.

On a side note, my dad took me to the Astrodome back in 1966 to see a Muhammad Ali fight, and I remember being awed by the sight of it, we didn't have a facility in California that compared to it in any way.

Interesting story, and it illustrates what my belief has always been, is that sometimes the greed and profiteering on the part of the owners is like a cancer to a sports team as well as it's host city.

Clark Hunt has access to more than enough resources to rennovate Arrowhead Stadium, and for that matter, even enough to build a brand new stadium.

Yeah but the bigger issue for the NFL is this...what happens in KC won’t stay in KC. The owner of the Saints is not going to like it if the owner of the Chiefs self-funds the renovations or a new stadium. Because that means that he may have to. There are a lot of forces at work behind the scenes; not all of them local.

I was in Houston for that time period when we didn’t have professional football. The world didn’t fall apart. It was actually kind of nice. I don’t know if they still do it but they used to black out games so you couldn’t see the home team on TV unless there was a sell out. So some times you’d just get a single game on the weekends because they couldn’t show any other game while your team was playing. We got two televised games a week plus the Monday game.

Yeah but the bigger issue for the NFL is this...what happens in KC won’t stay in KC. The owner of the Saints is not going to like it if the owner of the Chiefs self-funds the renovations or a new stadium. Because that means that he may have to. There are a lot of forces at work behind the scenes; not all of them local.

I was in Houston for that time period when we didn’t have professional football. The world didn’t fall apart. It was actually kind of nice. I don’t know if they still do it but they used to black out games so you couldn’t see the home team on TV unless there was a sell out. So some times you’d just get a single game on the weekends because they couldn’t show any other game while your team was playing. We got two televised games a week plus the Monday game.
I remember reading about how the funding was structured for AT&T stadium in Arlington, Texas. If I'm correct, the city of Arlington provided the majority of it, and the team owner, Jerry Jones secured a loan from the NFL for the balance, and he personally covered any construction cost overruns.

So he had some skin in the game, which an owner should, but owners vary as much as fans do in how far their loyalty to their team goes.

As far as the televised games by market, they are still blacking out some home games based on certain restrictions, but of course there are ways to get around those blackouts. For the past few seasons, I've seen every Chiefs game even if it wasn't televised on a local network in my area.

The only team in the NFL without a rich owner is the Packers which is publicly owned.

Most of the friends and relatives that I have who live in Kansas City have been season ticket holders for decades, and not one of them voted for the tax increase, and if I lived there, I would not have either.

On a side note, my dad took me to the Astrodome back in 1966 to see a Muhammad Ali fight, and I remember being awed by the sight of it, we didn't have a facility in California that compared to it in any way.
We had the LA Sports Arena and Forum In same time frame ( And the Shrine auditorium and Greek Theater and Hollywood Bowl

We had the LA Sports Arena and Forum In same time frame ( And the Shrine auditorium and Greek Theater and Hollywood Bowl
True, and I've been to those venues multiple times over the years for all types of events however they don't have near the seating capacity of the Astrodome, which is 70,000, and I believe the Astrodome was the first climate controlled domed stadium in America.

True, and I've been to those venues multiple times over the years for all types of events however they don't have near the seating capacity of the Astrodome, which is 70,000, and I believe the Astrodome was the first climate controlled domed stadium in America.
I was at a Regular Season Clash between Los Angeles Raiders and Denver Broncos at the Los Angeles Colosseum and there were 94 thousand attendees

I was at a Regular Season Clash between Los Angeles Raiders and Denver Broncos at the Los Angeles Colosseum and there were 94 thousand attendees
Yes, I saw a lot of memorable games there as well.
You hadn't mentioned the Colliseum in your earlier post, but you are correct, they had a very large capacity, but it was an outdoor venue unlike the Astrodome.

You hadn't mentioned the Colliseum in your earlier post, but you are correct, they had a very large capacity, but it was an outdoor venue unlike the Astrodome.
I saw Sabbath there in their heyday and Metallica there in their heyday , I saw Magic Johnson’s first Laker Game as a rookie at the Forum and Miles Davis at the Hollywood Bowl
And Oingo Boingo at their occasional giant Insiders only Show at the Greek Theater

I saw Sabbath there in their heyday and Metallica there in their heyday , I saw Magic Johnson’s first Laker Game as a rookie at the Forum and Miles Davis at the Hollywood Bowl
And Oingo Boingo at their occasional giant Insiders only Show at the Greek Theater
I saw most of the Laker games that I attended at Staples Center.

I was there for their back to back NBA championship wins when Kobe and Shaq were playing.

Miles Davis must have been a treat to see. The most memorable concert that I ever saw was Jimi Hendrix at the now defunct San Diego Sports Arena...tickets were only $5.00!...Lol!

Forum List

Back