What are you listening to?

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Charles Mingus "Haitian Fight Song" from the album "The Clown" released in 1957 on Atlantic Records.

Charles Mingus of course on double bass, Shafi Hadi on alto and tenor saxophone, Jimmy Knepper on trombone, Wade Legge on piano and Danny Richmond on drums.

Hey Pogo get your buttocks back in this thread, you've not posted for more than a week.

Doch! Drei posten am Sontag. o_O

Mingus reminded me of this record. I wore it out. Love Percy Heath's bass work here.

Modern Jazz 4tet - Topsy

Yes you did posts on Sunday, I just noticed :eusa_doh:

That was a wonderful piece from the Modern Jazz Quartet, Percy Heath excellent and also the second time he's been in this thread also the second time that the great Milt Jackson has appeared, remember Thelonious Monk's "Straight No Chaser" and Thelonious Monk's "Blue Monk", post # 881 here:

Pogo we need to get married, it doesn't matter that I'm already married, I'm pro-Polygamy with this, we can listen to Jazz records and you can pour me Mint Juleps :smoke:

Sorry folks, not much into jazz, never really have been, but thanks for the thanks on my electronica!
This one is a bit personal to me as I was out there next to Buffalo Bayou listening to this one live back in '86. To borrow a line from Jeff Spicoli: "Awesome! Totally awesome!"
From Rendezvous Houston in 1986, here is Jean-Michel Jarre's Rendezvous IV:

The Houston fire marshals had a cow when they discovered the fireworks people launching through the louvers on the 1600 Smith Street building. (the white building with the slots on the coupola roof on the right) The crew, who were all French, feigned that they understood no English and continued launching right through the end of the show.

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Charles Mingus "Haitian Fight Song" from the album "The Clown" released in 1957 on Atlantic Records.

Charles Mingus of course on double bass, Shafi Hadi on alto and tenor saxophone, Jimmy Knepper on trombone, Wade Legge on piano and Danny Richmond on drums.

Hey Pogo get your buttocks back in this thread, you've not posted for more than a week.

Mingus reminded me of this record. I wore it out. Love Percy Heath's bass work here.

Modern Jazz 4tet - Topsy

That was a wonderful piece from the Modern Jazz Quartet, Percy Heath excellent and also the second time he's been in this thread also the second time that the great Milt Jackson has appeared, remember Thelonious Monk's "Straight No Chaser" and Thelonious Monk's "Blue Monk", post # 881 here:

Pogo we need to get married, it doesn't matter that I'm already married, I'm pro-Polygamy with this, we can listen to Jazz records and you can pour me Mint Juleps :smoke:

Don't give me that julep song and dance. You want me to cook for you, I just know it.
I mean -- who wouldn't.... :D

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Modern Jazz 4tet - Topsy

Don't give me that julep song and dance. You want me to cook for you, I just know it.

You can start now, get into the kitchen and make me a sammich :smoke:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Creatures "Miss The Girl" released on 7" in 1983 on Polydor Records....the B Side is "Hot Springs In The Snow"

"Miss The Girl" is also on The Creatures first album "Feast" released in 1983 also on Polydor Records.

The Creatures were a Siouxsie and the Banshees side project, featuring Siouxsie Sioux and percussionist Budgie.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Ray Smith "Right Behind You Baby" released on 7" in 1958 on Sun Records, this is the B Side and it's a gem....the A Side is "So Young" which is just not very good.

Ray Smith was one of those tragic people where everything went wrong in his personal life. He committed suicide by shooting himself on November 29th 1979 aged 45 years-old.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Vibes "I'm In Pittsburgh (And It's Rainin')" from "The Inner Wardrobes Of Your Mind EP" released in 1985 on 12" on Chainsaw Records....the other tracks are "I Hear Noises (Extended Trip Version)", "Hasil Adkins In My Head" and "Scratch My Back"

The Vibes "Hasil Adkins In My Head"

I was going to include a Hasil Adkins song, but most of his songs might be a bit too frightening for the uninitiated and also those of a nervous disposition.

West Virginia has a lot to answer for....ahem Coyote West Virginia, you have Hasil Adkins to answer for :smoke: a complete mad man.

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Sonics "Strychnine" from the album "Here Are The Sonics!!!" released in 1965 on Etiquette Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Hasil Adkins "No More Hot Dogs" from the compilation album "Out To Hunch", the songs recorded from 1960-1964 and released in 1986 on Norton Records, on the back of the record sleeve it says:

Technical Note: Sound quality on some tracks may vary with intoxication levels.

"No More Hot Dogs" is about Hasil Adkins wanting to decapitate his girlfriend and nail her head to the wall, decapitation is a recurring theme in his songs, as is chicken and space aliens.

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:
Paulo Moura -- Chorinho pra você (Chorinho for you)

Chorinho (shor-EEN-yoo) is a distinctively Brazilian musical form that developed in the late 19th century around the same time as, and sharing certain musical structures with, ragtime in the States. Usually employing a small group featuring a lead instrument (commonly a flute or mandolin, here the clarinet), a 7-string guitar (extra bass string, for meandering counterpoint) and always light percussion. This one is more innovative than the standard form, which follows a AA-BB-AA-CC-AA pattern. The melody is almost invariably poignant, dripping with the bittersweet longing emotion the Portuguese call saudade.

Probably the best known chorinho to US audiences is "Tico Tico no Fuba", often shortened to just "Tico Tico", written 99 years ago....

---- which was really never intended to be played like this:

North Carolina's own .... Thelonious Monk: Crepuscule with Nellie

Monk was a fairly intense dude. And he had a "thing" for his musicians being on time. One night he had a quartet playing in a jazz club. After the band played a set Monk told the musicians "twenty minutes" for a break.

When the 20 minutes were up Monk took his place back at the piano. The bassist took up his bass, the sax player was ready...

No drummer. Apparently he had ducked out to the strip club next door and hadn't made it back.

Monk said nothing, did nothing, just sat and waited. :eusa_whistle:

Finally the drummer came rushing in furtively, hurriedly taking his place at the drum set, whereupon Monk launched immediately into the music. After the theme was run through the sax player took a solo, band came back in, then Monk took his solo, band back in, then the bassist took his solo. Band came back, and now it was time for the drummer's solo. Soon as he started Monk motioned to the other two musicians to follow him. They went offstage, out the door and waited there.

For an hour.

The drummer was left to himself, all alone, to come up with whatever he could for an hour.
All alone.
No way out.

Finally they came back and got him off the hook.

That drummer was never late again.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Modern Jazz 4tet - Topsy

:lol: While he's at it, he can make me one too!

Modern Jazz 4tet - Topsy

It's a deal. :deal: --- The three of us will make a sandwich.

Know what I mean, nudge nudge.... :eusa_shifty:

Modern Jazz 4tet - Topsy

A ham in between two pieces of white bread? :poke:

:rofl:

I could make a reference to "lettuce" here but I won't. :eusa_angel:

Two fine tomatoes though.

:rofl:

I could make a reference to "lettuce" here but I won't. :eusa_angel:

Two fine tomatoes though.

:lol: Not sure where we would squeeze in the lettuce. :dunno:

Forum List

Back