What are you listening to?

This tune popped into my head this morning --

I wasn't aware that Tom died earlier this year. Very nice obit here:

>> From the moment he unwrapped a blonde Fender Stratocaster on his 10th birthday in his childhood home on Milwaukee's south side, hardly a day went by when Tom Spanic didn't have a guitar in his hand.

When Tom's son Ian was 8, he encouraged the boy to pick up the instrument — in a way.

"He used reverse psychology on me," Ian told the Journal Sentinel. "He left his Olympic White 1962 Fender Stratocaster and his Fender Super Reverb amp in my bedroom and would always tell me, 'Don't touch the guitar.' So of course I'd want to mess with it."

.... Spanic was born April 21, 1946. When his mother, a welder, and his father, a Wisconsin Gas Company worker, gave their son that guitar, Spanic taught himself to play Chet Atkins tunes. He stacked quarters on the arm of his record player so the vinyl would spin slower and he could mimic every note. <<​

Yike :uhh:

>> "He would do absolutely anything for you. He was so loyal. I couldn't have asked for anybody better to spend these 30 years of my life with," said wife Mary Shanahan Spanic. "He was born under a lucky star. He had a special life and talent." <<​

:salute:

Based on a series of letters written home from the Emigration....

Robbie OÇonnell, Mick Moloney and James Keane
: Kilkelly

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Blind Willie Johnson "Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground" recorded on December 3rd 1927 in Dallas, Texas and released in 1928 on 10" 78 rpm on Columbia Records....this is the B Side to the A Side "It's Nobody's Fault But Mine"

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Syd Barrett "Long Gone" from his album "The Madcap Laughs" released in 1970 on Harvest Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Charley Patton and Bertha Lee "Yellow Bee" recorded on January 31st 1934 in New York City and released in 1934 on 10" 78 rpm on Vocalion Records....the B Side is "Mind Reader Blues"

Bertha Lee was the Common Law wife of Charley Patton, there's something Other Worldly about her voice.

The recordings from January 30th-February 1st 1934 were the last Charley Patton did.

He died on April 28th 1934 aged 43 years-old of a mitral valve disorder.

Mitral valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His death wasn't considered important enough to be included in the newspapers, he didn't get a headstone until 1990, 56 years after his death.

Not that I make political comments in my music thread, but that Charley Patton and others are buried in a field is simply disgusting.

When people are dead, only the shell is in the ground, the soul is with Our Lord in His Beautiful Kingdom, so who cares who is buried next to who else or what colour they are, NONE of that matters anymore, nobody should be buried in fields, WTF?!

This below is Holly Ridge Cemetery in Sunflower County in Mississippi, effectively a field, full of dead black people, only some fortunate enough to even have a headstone, the majority, probably hundreds of them still lay in unmarked resting places.

6.jpg

img_3094.jpg

I recommend that everyone has the below three disc boxed set, it was released in 2014 on Acrobat Records, it's available on Amazon at the very good price of $17.99 for you Americans.

There's something transcendent in Charley Patton recordings, like he was already dead when he recorded them and was communicating through the Ether back to the recording studio.

MOB903626_large.jpeg

61Tm8DAbT-L.jpg

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back