What are you listening to?

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Thelonious Monk "Straight No Chaser" this recording is from 1947 and it originally appeared on the album "Genius of Modern Music: Volume 2" released in 1952 on Blue Note Records.

It features Art Blakey on drums, Milt Jackson on vibraphone, Al McKibbon on bass and Sahib Shihab on alto saxophone.

Thelonious Monk "Blue Monk" from the album "Thelonious Monk Trio" released in 1954 on Prestige Records.

It features Art Blakey on drums and Percy Heath on bass.

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Cocteau Twins "Aikea-Guinea" from their E.P. "Aikea-Guinea" released in 1985 on 4AD Records.

Cocteau Twins "Throughout the Dark Months of April and May" from their album "Victorialand" released in 1986 on 4AD Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Bo Diddley "You Can't Judge A Book By It's Cover" released on 7" in 1962 on Checker Records....the B Side is "I Can Tell"

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Lift To Experience "Just As Was Told" from their double album "The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads" released in 2001 on Bella Union Records.

Warren Zevon...miss you man...Carmelita

I hear Mariachi static on my radio
And the tubes they glow in the dark
And I'm there with her in Ensenada
And I'm here in Echo Park

Carmelita hold me tighter
I think I'm sinking down
And I'm all strung out on heroin
On the outskirts of town

I love folk music...there was a radio show I listened to years ago, called Music Americana, with Dick Cerry - and I found a lot of good songs there.

This was one of them - The Dutchman, sung by Liam Clancy, a song of old enduring love...

Deanta...Ready for the Storm

I am...sometimes...but sometimes the storm just washes over and all you can do is hang on.

Dougie MacLean and Kathi Mattea - Turning Away

In darkness we do what we can
In daylight we're oblivion
Our hearts so raw and clear
Are turning away, turning away from here

Josh Ritter - Idaho

All that love all those mistakes
What else can a poor man make?
So I gave up a life of crime
I gave it to a friend of mine
Something else was on my mind
The only ghost I'm haunted by
I hear her howling down below
Idaho oh Idaho

I love folk music...there was a radio show I listened to years ago, called Music Americana, with Dick Cerry - and I found a lot of good songs there.

This was one of them - The Dutchman, sung by Liam Clancy, a song of old enduring love...

In the Classical Music thread, you mentioned "Wild Mountain Thyme", alternate names are "Purple Heather" and "Will Ye Go, Lassie Go", it was written by Francis McPeake.

The tune and lyrics are like most Folk Ballads, variants of earlier Folk Ballads, in this instance "The Braes of Balquhither" by Robert Tannahill (1774-1810)

He committed suicide by drowning himself in 1810, of course in those days suicides were considered an abomination and a curse upon the community and they were buried in unmarked places next to Churches but outside of Hallowed Ground.

Robert Tannahill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My favourite version of "Wild Mountain Thyme" was performed by Sandy Denny, this after she left Fairport Convention.

The below is from a session Sandy Denny and her other band Fotheringay recorded for John Peel for his BBC Radio programme on 15th November 1970.

Sandy Denny is very special, I've worshipped her voice since I first heard it as a child. Of course, naturally she was doomed, chronic alcoholism and drugs, leading in 1978 to her falling down the stairs when drunk and hitting her head, she died less than two weeks later from an Intracranial hemorrhage aged 31 years-old.

Edited because the link got mixed up :eusa_doh:

Last edited:
Kings Highway....

I might just change my mind
Sometimes you can never tell
Where a story will unwind
How deep is the shallow ground

Sometimes you would never guess
Who's all talk and who just might

Greg Brown (who has a voice like molasses....)

Rexroth's Daughter....what is real but compassion as we move from birth to death?

Coldest night of the winter
working up my farewell
In the middle of everything
under no particular spell

Dreaming of the mountains
where the children learn the stars
Clouds roll in from Nebraska
dark chords on a big guitar

My restlessness is long gone
standing like an old jack pine
I'm looking for Rexroth's daughter
She's a friend of a friend of mine

Can't believe your hands and mouth
did all that to me
And they are so daily naked
for all the world to see

That thunderstorm in Michigan
I never will forget
We shook right with the thunder
& with the pounding rain got wet

Where did you turn when you turned from me
with your arms across your chest
Ya,I'm looking for Rexroth's daughter
saw her in the great northwest

Would she have said it was the wrong time
if I had found her then
I don't ask very much
a field across the road and a few good friends

She used to come & see me
she was always there & gone
Even the very longest love
do'nt last very long

She'd stood there in my doorway
smoothing out her dress
saying 'life is a thump-ripe melon-
-so sweet and such a mess'

[I wanted to get to know you
but you said you were shy
I would have followed you anywhere
but hello rolled into goodbye

I just stood there watching
as you walked along the fence
Beware of them that look at you
as an experience

You're back out on the highway
with your poems of city heat
here on my own side street]

Well,The murderer who lived next door
seemed such a normal guy--
You try to swallow what they shove at us
you run out of tears to cry

I heard a man speak quietly
I listened for a while
He spoke from his heart to my woe
& then he bowed & smiled

What is real but compassion
as we move from birth to death
Ya,I'm looking for Rexroth's daughter
& I'm running out of breath

Spring will come back I know it will
& it'll do its best
so useful, so endangered
like a lion or a breast

I think about my children
when I look at any child's face
pray that we will find a way
to get with all this amazing grace

It's so cold out there tonight
stormy I can hardly see
& I guess I always will be.

Folk musicians, like Arlo Guthrie, Pete Seeger and Tom Paxton were among those I grew up with.

I love this song by Tom Paxton: Corrymeela, because who amongst us has not been in this place? Cursing the darkness and blowing out the light....Corrymeela is a community in Ireland devoted to peace and reconciliation. It sprang from Irelands history of religious wars. It holds an important place still.

I was angry with myself. I was lost and confused.
There wasn't an unkind word or spiteful thought I hadn't used.
All the anger I carried was bound to explode.
I was walking in a rage down a long hard road.

[Cho:]
O Corrymeela, I need to rest myself.
I need to discover myself again.
O Corrymeela, I need a peaceful vision.
O let my only decision be to lay down my sorrows.

There were times when I was right.
There were times when I was wrong.
I couldn't feel one way about anything for very long.
The blame for all my troubles pointed everywhere but me.
I was as full of hate as any one you'll ever see.

[Cho:]

Just to feel the anger leaving me.
Just to let the burning bitterness die.
O show me the sea, let its music heal me.
Show me a field where I can lie.

I was tearing myself apart.
I was my own worst enemy.
There didn't seem to be an answer to my misery.
I knew that I was wrong and I was sure that I was right.
I was cursing the darkness and blowing out the light.

Forum List

Back