What are you listening to?

Well it's alright....End of the Line by the Traveling Wilburys

Thank you for this Coyote -- I've been hearing this so regularly from the local band I work with but never heard the original before.

I've gotta say, it sounds better when the locals do it (without the drummer). That "at the end of the line" response is so sweet the way they do it with male and female vocals together. Good to hear the original though. Sweet tune.

Just thought of this for whatever reason (bad eyesight probably) ---

The title of the thread is "What are you listening to", which is correct English.

In New Orleans though, you don't "listen to" --- you "listen at". As if you're casting your aural observational powers toward something.

Seems to me like "to" is more active whereas "at" is more passive. :dunno:

Lucy Hamilton

The title of the thread is "What are you listening to", which is correct English.

In New Orleans though, you don't "listen to" --- you "listen at". As if you're casting your aural observational powers toward something.

Lucy Hamilton

Pogo I do not understand this :confused-84:

So in New Orleans they'd say what are you listening at?

For some reason...I'm hung up on anthems and patriotic songs...this is kind of what I wish our anthem was...and John McDermott is one of the best :)

And, for Scotland (who could fail to be stirred?)

Can music bring one to God? I think so...

Lucy Hamilton

I have no clue what he's talking about. Lol. :D

Lucy Hamilton

Yup. "listening at".

Strange isn't it?

The House of the Rising Sun

Odetta

The Animals

This song "The House of The Rising Sun", originally called "Rising Sun Blues" when first recorded, the oldest known recording of it is from 1933 by Clarence "Tom" Ashley and Gwen Foster.

In 1927 Iva Smith had a recording "Rising Sun Blues" but it has no relation to this, it's a completely different song, but has the same title.

Clarence "Tom" Ashley and Gwen Foster "Rising Sun Blues" recorded September 6th 1933 and released on 10" 78 RPM in 1934 on Vocalion Records....the B Side is "East Virginia Blues"

Vocalion Records had a beautiful inner segment, here's the above 10" 78 RPM A Side and B Side.

R-7030977-1432075003-6072.jpeg.jpg

R-7030977-1432075003-2796.jpeg.jpg

Edited for Iva Smith not Ivy Smith :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

Odetta

The Animals

This song "The House of The Rising Sun", originally called "Rising Sun Blues" when first recorded, the oldest known recording of it is from 1933 by Tom Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster. In 1927 Ivy Smith had a recording "Rising Sun Blues" but it has no relation to this, it's a completely different song, but has the same title.

Tom Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster "Rising Sun Blues" recorded September 6th 1933 and released on 10" 78 RPM in 1934 on Vocalion Records....the B Side is "East Virginia Blues"

Vocalion Records had a beautiful inner segment, here's the above 10" 78 RPM A Side and B Side.

:clap2: Beautiful. That's an outstanding transcription. That's part of what I do professionally so I appreciate it -- that's fine work right there.

There was a yuuuge leap in recording quality from the '20s to the '30s.

Odetta

The Animals

This song "The House of The Rising Sun", originally called "Rising Sun Blues" when first recorded, the oldest known recording of it is from 1933 by Clarence "Tom" Ashley and Gwen Foster. In 1927 Ivy Smith had a recording "Rising Sun Blues" but it has no relation to this, it's a completely different song, but has the same title.

Clarence "Tom" Ashley and Gwen Foster "Rising Sun Blues" recorded September 6th 1933 and released on 10" 78 RPM in 1934 on Vocalion Records....the B Side is "East Virginia Blues"

Cool...didn't realize it was that old :)

Another song I love...500 Miles

I grew up with Peter, Paul and Mary's version...

But, I also LOVE Eric and Leon Bibb (father and son)...and the video adds a back story to it, such voices :)

Oh, had I a golden Thread
And needle so fine
I've weave a magic strand
Of rainbow design
Of rainbow design.

In it I'd weave the bravery
Of women giving birth,
In it I would weave the innocence
Of children over all the earth,
Children of all earth.

Forum List

Back