We need to raise taxes

Discussion in 'Economy' started by theHawk, Dec 8, 2010.

1. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,717
    Well after listening to our friends on the left scream and rant and rave about "paying" for everything, I am inclined to agree.

I think we should raise taxes, up to 90% if we have to, on the lower income brackets. These, after all, are the folks that soak up a majority of government welfare. Clearly if someone is living in poverty, it would be best if the government spent their money for them, as they have already demonstrated the inablility to manage their own money. The government should be taking most all of their money to pay for their housing, food, and education, no more 22" rims, gold jewlery and big screen TVs.

Your thoughts?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I think your idea is a bit extreme BUT I do feel that everybody in America needs to pay taxes on income. We need to do away with all the various exemptions such as for dependents, earned income, giving to charity, home mortgage interest, etc. No more tax exemption loopholes for anybody. Then everybody should be required to pay taxes at the same rate - 10% of your income for the Federal government and 5% of your income to the State that you live in. By law, nobody's tax rate would be over 15% of what you earn. Then, taxes in America would be more fair. To help out the people of America, Congress would be mandated by law not to spend more money then they take in on taxes. For example, if the Treasury collected 50 trillion dollars in taxes for the year of 2010, in 2011 they could not spend more than 40 trillion dollars. 5 trillion would go to mandatory savings and 5 trillion to pay off the national debt. Then Congress could spend the remaining 40 trillion in anyway they felt they would like to but they had to ensure the budget was balanced at the end of the year.

3. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,635
    I think so too. Those that scream for so much need to step up and help pay for it.

4. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    I have a simple solution. Why not just make contributing more taxes voluntary? We keep rates where they are now and if you feel government needs more of your money than that you are more than welcome to give it to them. There are tons of liberals who are saying we need to give government more money. So we simply remove the procedural barrier where government gives you your money back if you pay more than what they say you owe. If you don't want to pay more than legally required, that's fine too. I'm sure there are more than enough liberals out there who will readily give more of their own money to compensate for those of us that don't want to.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  5. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Most liberals clearly do not support the runaway deficits, in fact republicans are generally allergic to fiscal responsibility.

IOW your thesis is bogus.

Do you oppose expiration of the Bush tax cuts?

Are you willing to do what it takes to reduce spending? Like cut 70% from the military budget? Eliminate medicare? Increase taxes so it is possible to pay down the debt? Organize politically to make this happen instead of just whining?

6. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    No it isn't. My thesis (if you must call it that) is not that liberals like deficits. My thesis is essentially a satyrical solution to the suppossed problem that government just has to have more money and my point is okay assuming I agree with that, what's stoppin ya? Government says I owe them x, if you think they need more, give it to them. Simple.

yes

The question isn't whether I would do what it takes. I don't have a choice in the matter. The question is, are our elected officials willing to? I agree with cutting all of things, including the military. There can be no sacred cows. But it's going to take more than cutting a budget. It's going to take fundmental shift in thinking about what the role of government is to significantly cut the deficit.

BTW, organizations for these types of ideals already exist. They're called libertarians.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  7. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    OK, it was satire.

Libertarian orgs may exist but I don't see the public at large jumping on board. The tea party got one thing right, it demonstrated that enough pissed off people can upturn the cart. Now do it at full scale and upturn the cart. Throw the bums from both parties out. Get housewives and plumbers and teachers elected to high office.

8. fyrenza

fyrenza Ariel Looney Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +378
    Why not make it ALL Sales Taxes?

THEN, those who earn more and spend more, pay more in taxes.

9. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,717
    Nobody would ever say they "support" the huge deficits. But libs do spend far more than anyone else, they want a government program for every little grievance that pops up.

Don't care about "Bush tax cuts", its the current tax rate and has been for years, not a "tax cut".

No matter what the tax rates and tax revenue is, the government just needs to spend less than it takes in, and deficits evaporate. Its pretty stupid to argue that we need to tax "the rich" with a 39%+ tax in order to "pay" off the deficit, when the government has no intention of spending within its means no matter what tax revenue they collect.

10. william the wie

william the wie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,602
    Substituting an average 19% VAT with the usual rebates for exports as a substitute for all other taxes works for me but it would put 10 of the top 20 population states into default. Without exemption from federal income tax most municipal bonds would drop to 12+% yield. I have already posted that I think voluntary taxes: lotteries and a green card auction would be the way to go.