We need to raise taxes

That's cool, but still horseshit.

The debt itself is still mostly a GOP gift to America.

And the programs that account for the future unfunded liabilities have to date far, far more than paid for themselves.

IOW your pov is 100% biased newspeak.

That's cool, but still horseshit.

The debt itself is still mostly a GOP gift to America.

And the programs that account for the future unfunded liabilities have to date far, far more than paid for themselves.

IOW your pov is 100% biased newspeak.

I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.

that is because you can't comprehend it yourself, because it isn't true. It is simply a dysfunctional rationalization masqueraded as truth.

I think your idea is a bit extreme BUT I do feel that everybody in America needs to pay taxes on income. We need to do away with all the various exemptions such as for dependents, earned income, giving to charity, home mortgage interest, etc. No more tax exemption loopholes for anybody. Then everybody should be required to pay taxes at the same rate - 10% of your income for the Federal government and 5% of your income to the State that you live in. By law, nobody's tax rate would be over 15% of what you earn. Then, taxes in America would be more fair. To help out the people of America, Congress would be mandated by law not to spend more money then they take in on taxes. For example, if the Treasury collected 50 trillion dollars in taxes for the year of 2010, in 2011 they could not spend more than 40 trillion dollars. 5 trillion would go to mandatory savings and 5 trillion to pay off the national debt. Then Congress could spend the remaining 40 trillion in anyway they felt they would like to but they had to ensure the budget was balanced at the end of the year.

That would sure take care of starting wars. You will never get the conservatives to agree to it.

They like wars, especially unfunded ones.

I have a simple solution. Why not just make contributing more taxes voluntary? We keep rates where they are now and if you feel government needs more of your money than that you are more than welcome to give it to them. There are tons of liberals who are saying we need to give government more money. So we simply remove the procedural barrier where government gives you your money back if you pay more than what they say you owe. If you don't want to pay more than legally required, that's fine too. I'm sure there are more than enough liberals out there who will readily give more of their own money to compensate for those of us that don't want to.

Most liberals clearly do not support the runaway deficits, in fact republicans are generally allergic to fiscal responsibility.

IOW your thesis is bogus.

Do you oppose expiration of the Bush tax cuts?

Are you willing to do what it takes to reduce spending? Like cut 70% from the military budget? Eliminate medicare? Increase taxes so it is possible to pay down the debt? Organize politically to make this happen instead of just whining?

How can anyone say liberals don't support deficits after passing a 3trillion budget this year. They only worry about deficits if it involves stealing more from tax payers

How can anyone say liberals don't support deficits after passing a 3trillion budget this year. They only worry about deficits if it involves stealing more from tax payers

easy, most liberals don't support Obama's deficits while nearly all conservatives have enthusiastically supported the massive deficits of previous repub presidents.

AND it is the GOP that is currently trying to increase the deficit with counterproductive tax cuts.

We need to totally do away with the military. They are very expensive. I ask you, "How many wars would be have been in in the past fifty years if we did not have a military?"

More realistic idea would be to follow the letter of the Constitution.

Permanent navy..and a temporary army derived from the militia when needed to be funded every two years or disbanded if no longer needed.

The Constitution makes no provision for an airforce. But they could be included with the navy.

too forward thinking sallow, got to fail.

We need to totally do away with the military. They are very expensive. I ask you, "How many wars would be have been in in the past fifty years if we did not have a military?"

More realistic idea would be to follow the letter of the Constitution.

Permanent navy..and a temporary army derived from the militia when needed to be funded every two years or disbanded if no longer needed.

The Constitution makes no provision for an airforce. But they could be included with the navy.

too forward thinking sallow, got to fail.
The need for formed units as cadre does require a bit more than that. An alpine corps of 70,000, a mechanized corps of similar size and the Marine corps is needed for specialized combat and training for when the reserve and guard units are activated. With logistical support for reserve and guard units and sending them for training against the active units will require more than what sallow is advocating but there are three catches:

1) incentives to join and stay in the reserves and guard would have to be increased along with training and equipment budgets. In particular the use of robots and other stand-off weapons would have to become doctrine.

2) The exceptional or out when the hitch is done doctrine of the Marines would have to be transferred to the army.

3) The use of non-lethal and more precise weaponry for use in built up areas would have to be ramped way up.

Well after listening to our friends on the left scream and rant and rave about "paying" for everything, I am inclined to agree.

I think we should raise taxes, up to 90% if we have to, on the lower income brackets. These, after all, are the folks that soak up a majority of government welfare. Clearly if someone is living in poverty, it would be best if the government spent their money for them, as they have already demonstrated the inablility to manage their own money. The government should be taking most all of their money to pay for their housing, food, and education, no more 22" rims, gold jewlery and big screen TVs.

Your thoughts?

Not just the poor, but everyone in America. I have been also calling for an increase in Taxes. If America continues with these Political gimmick Tax cuts, we will be setting ourselves up for an economic catastrophe, that will take many years fo rus to come out of.!!

We need to totally do away with poor people. They are very expensive. I ask you, "How much money would have been spent in the past fifty years if we did not have poor people?"

Forum List

Back