Watching Maine today.

In DC the question is before the city council. It is the Black churches that are out in force demonstrating against gay marriage.
there are black religious groups strongly against it just like there is many white religious groups against it. I have noticed that our popular black minister here has stayed silent on the issue.

So he's taking the Obama approach.

I hope the pro-gay marriage people don't take this vote for granted like they did in CA last year. Despite their so-called religion based trappings, the Opposition will not hesitate to lie, lie and lie some more.

I'd worry more about the vote, vote and vote. Then again, gay marriage is widely accepted as many here like to voice, so no problem right?

I hope the pro-gay marriage people don't take this vote for granted like they did in CA last year. Despite their so-called religion based trappings, the Opposition will not hesitate to lie, lie and lie some more.

Maine doesn't have many black people, so the vote should go the gay way.

We have about an ounce of melanin to share through the entire state.

You have equality issues. Bus kids in from NY.

Have you heard who is paying for the ads? I wonder if it is the same group out of Colorado Springs that is paying for the ones here?

When Prop H8 was on the ballot here, we got a LOT of money out of Utah (Mormons) and the Knights of Columbus (Catholics)....not to mention a lot of the Mega Box Churches around here.
they had children picketing the other day on a busy corner downtown! I think they should maybe think about their actions before trying to control someone else.

They did that here on Sundays. Many mega churchs would hand out yellow "Yes on H8" signs and go out to the street corners with their young kids INSTEAD of church service. Now...tell me. Who was "shoving the topic of gay marriage down the throats" of young people? Not us.

I have just heard the one ad out of colorado springs but doesn't mean there are more out there, we also have a group from here paying for a lot of signs and ads. Plus I am on the east side of the state that is more conservative, they might not think they have to advertise so much here. Seattle and the west side could be a different story but hopefully they carry us and pass Ref 71.

It's not a black or white issue. But thanks for playing.

We have about an ounce of melanin to share through the entire state.

:lol: Funny how you said something similar just a couple minutes before me.

I wish that were true, but you mentioned the vote in California last year which proves my point.

exactly! I have not heard one ad in favor of this vote or people for Ref 71 spreading lies about the other group. I have seen signs in favor of it but that is about it. But like I said they are probably putting most of the money and time on the westside of the state. KK would know more about what they are doing over there than I would.

I'll also point out that part of the reason Prop 8 won is because it seems like the only thing opponents could do is keep Joe Wilson-ing, "you lie!!!!"

I'll also point out that part of the reason Prop 8 won is because it seems like the only thing opponents could do is keep Joe Wilson-ing, "you lie!!!!"

No, that's not how it won....we were out spent and over estimated the BS detector capability in the average CA voter.
But, it was a LOT closer than the similar Prop 22 vote only a few years before.

No, that's not how it won....we were out spent and over estimated the BS detector capability in the average CA voter.

How close the vote was in relation to the vote on Prop 22 is irrelevant, and maybe you missed the part where No on 8 raised way more money than Yes on 8. Let's not start lying now.

And are you going to respond to my comments on the previous page, or are you conceding that all you can do is name-call and not actually address people's concerns?

I wish that were true, but you mentioned the vote in California last year which proves my point.

No it doesn't. It was a religion, a lying-religion issue. Religions and their lying proponents cross color lines.

I didn't say religion had nothing to do with it. My point was that a large majority of blacks voted for the gay marriage ban. That's a fact and is the point I was making.

How close the vote was in relation to the vote on Prop 22 is irrelevant,

Actually, it's very relevant. Shows the direction that public attitudes are shifting over time on gay marriage.

and maybe you missed the part where No on 8 raised way more money than Yes on 8. Let's not start lying now.

You don't like the competition, do you? Back that statement up. Oh, and don't forget the out of state Mormon money and the "FREE" time "voluntarily" donated by churchgoers both in and out of state on this issue.

And are you going to respond to my comments on the previous page, or are you conceding that all you can do is name-call and not actually address people's concerns?

I move on and multi-task and cannot remember every post made by every person. In other words, your question on another page isn't the end all and be all for me. What post # is your question on and I will try to give it my undivided attention.

No it doesn't. It was a religion, a lying-religion issue. Religions and their lying proponents cross color lines.

I didn't say religion had nothing to do with it. My point was that a large majority of blacks voted for the gay marriage ban. That's a fact and is the point I was making.

And you will find on the demographics that the black people who voted for Prop H8 were the church going ones lied to. The failure to include them in pro-gay marriage canvassing will not be repeated. They should never have been taken for granted.

Actually, it's very relevant. Shows the direction that public attitudes are shifting over time on gay marriage.

No, not really. It showed that you can get a lot of people to vote for gay marriage if you spend forty million dollars and get Hollywood involved. Prop 22 wasn't the result of an international campaign like Prop 8 was, so in my eyes, that vote was more honest and than this one.

You don't like the competition, do you? Back that statement up. Oh, and don't forget the out of state Mormon money and the "FREE" time "voluntarily" donated by churchgoers both in and out of state on this issue.

Fuck you, back yours up. I bet when you go look and see which side raised more, you'll see that No on 8 out-raised Y/8. The Mormon church only gave in-kind donations; members of the church were the ones who gave the most. They also donated to defeat Prop 8. I'm up for any competition you got, and I will win.

I move on and multi-task and cannot remember every post made by every person. In other words, your question on another page isn't the end all and be all for me. What post # is your question on and I will try to give it my undivided attention.

You're full of shit. My post was like two posts under your response, and you responded to other posts right under mine. It's #38. You're just biding your time.

Thinking the majority are FOR gay marriage is the myth. They may be polite or PC enough to say, oh sure, but anything beyond civil union? Again, blurring the separation of church and state on issues you want and demanding the separation on others is inconsistent and wrong.

Thinking the majority are FOR gay marriage is the myth. They may be polite or PC enough to say, oh sure, but anything beyond civil union? Again, blurring the separation of church and state on issues you want and demanding the separation on others is inconsistent and wrong.

Exactly. It's the reason why I don't take most of the polls that supposedly show an emerging plurality of gay marriage supporters. A lot of people, especially older people, will lie just to get you out their face, but within the comfort of a voting booth? That's a different story.

Shouting people down over a personal conviction might shut them up, but will it change their minds? Probably not. If anything, it will harden their resolve.

Forum List

Back