Watching Maine today.

Right now it is a toss up, maybe a bit towards the anti-gay people. Never underestimate the power of people saying that gay marriage would outlaw religion and legalize the rape of children in schools. Fuck I hate people sometimes.

I voted NO because I don't want my kids to be indoctrinated about heterosexual sex.

• Banned
Right now it is a toss up, maybe a bit towards the anti-gay people. Never underestimate the power of people saying that gay marriage would outlaw religion and legalize the rape of children in schools. Fuck I hate people sometimes.

As I said, those so-called religious people sure have no problem with breaking the Ten Commandments, do they?

Yeah, exactly, fundies may be seemingly irrelevant, but they're pretty underhanded, too. I wouldn't be flippant about 'em.

You should never be allowed to vote on the rights others are allowed to have.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on whats for supper

Where's Obama on this?

Campaigning for someone else a 1,000 miles away from Maine. I'm sure he has a bb game or a golf outing to go to so he'll be far too busy to comment.

Meanwhile, he will not comment on the same issue even though it is on his doorstep in DC. :eusa_whistle:

Did gay rights supporters get what they wanted with Obama? Looks to me like they got sold out. Just sayin'

I hope the pro-gay marriage people don't take this vote for granted like they did in CA last year. Despite their so-called religion based trappings, the Opposition will not hesitate to lie, lie and lie some more.

Would you mind pontificating on your statement Bodecea?

What lies are being told in Maine that have upset you? I haven't been paying any attention to it so i'm not trying to get at anything other than what you are talking about ;).

I hope the pro-gay marriage people don't take this vote for granted like they did in CA last year. Despite their so-called religion based trappings, the Opposition will not hesitate to lie, lie and lie some more.

Pontificating? LOL

Yes, I will be glad to. The Yes on H8 crowd LIED about legal gay marriage affecting what when on in churches. The Yes on H8 crowd LIED about legal gay marriage affecting wha what taught in schools. The Yes on H8 crowd LIED about Prop H8 protecting children.

What lies are being told in Maine that have upset you? I haven't been paying any attention to it so i'm not trying to get at anything other than what you are talking about ;).

IF the religious right is doing the same dog and pony show in Maine as it did in California, there will be lies....and lots of them.

Pontificating? LOL

Yes, I will be glad to. The Yes on H8 crowd LIED about legal gay marriage affecting what when on in churches. The Yes on H8 crowd LIED about legal gay marriage affecting wha what taught in schools. The Yes on H8 crowd LIED about Prop H8 protecting children.

IF the religious right is doing the same dog and pony show in Maine as it did in California, there will be lies....and lots of them.

I didn't pay attention to Cali much either but I am curious on a few things:

1) How can making gay marriage legal affect what goes on inside a church as it is a private entity seperated from the state?
2) How does making Gay Marriage legal affect school cirriculum? I think schools will push for an open attitude toward gays regardless of the status of gay marriage

I dont get it. I support civil unions and non-church marriages for gay people so maybe thats why I'm confused.

EDIT: Pontificate may have been the wrong word there.....i should have said elaborate, I actually think you are qualified to comment ;)

Last edited:

"Vote YES on Question 1...to protect out children"

I hope the wing nuts defeat the measure. A win would only encourage other states to point to Maine as an example of how individual rights should be settled.

The rights of gays to marry should be established by the courts, not left up to the whims of those who are not affected by the proposal.

Pontificating? LOL

I didn't pay attention to Cali much either but I am curious on a few things:

1) How can making gay marriage legal affect what goes on inside a church as it is a private entity seperated from the state?

Exactly. But that did not stop the Yes on H8 crowd from making that assertion in their ads.

2) How does making Gay Marriage legal affect school cirriculum? I think schools will push for an open attitude toward gays regardless of the status of gay marriage

True...the Big Lie was that Prop H8 would somehow protect school children...when there is not one word in it about schools or children.

I dont get it. I support civil unions and non-church marriages for gay people so maybe thats why I'm confused.

It's all about keeping gay people as second class citizens legally.

A few points:

the anti-gay forces (yes on question one) here have tried to make the entire campaign about school curriculum, claiming that if gay marriage is legal that the law will force schools to teach students about gay marriage. They have also said that the law will bring lawsuits on churches who that refuse to perform gay marriage. Our attorney general has come out and called both of those claims totally false.

The pro-gay marriage (no on question one) crowd is REALLY well organized this time. This morning at 7:30, a volunteer knocked on my door, knew my name, knew that I was going to vote their way, and urged me to vote, and offered me a ride to the polls if I needed one.

My wife and I both voted on our way to work... and voted no.

A few points:

the anti-gay forces (yes on question one) here have tried to make the entire campaign about school curriculum, claiming that if gay marriage is legal that the law will force schools to teach students about gay marriage. They have also said that the law will bring lawsuits on churches who that refuse to perform gay marriage. Our attorney general has come out and called both of those claims totally false.

The pro-gay marriage (no on question one) crowd is REALLY well organized this time. This morning at 7:30, a volunteer knocked on my door, knew my name, knew that I was going to vote their way, and urged me to vote, and offered me a ride to the polls if I needed one.

I voted absentee last week.

A few points:

I voted absentee last week.

that should have stopped the phone calls for you, I'd imagine.

Forum List

Back