Watch Out! He's Got A Pencil!

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
The US comes out near the top in the gun homicide rate. Okay. Fine.

But you know what?

I bet if you did a study, you would find out we come out near the top in homicides with knives, bare hands, frying pans, golf clubs, and pencils.

I suspect we don't have so much a gun problem as a violence problem. Americans have a mean streak, and some of us are proud of it. For example, "Don't Mess With Texas™".

Someone should do such a study. I'd be surprised if no one has.

Anyone know?

I'd certainly rather someone try to kill me with a knife, bare hands, a frying pan, golf clubs, or pencils, rather than a gun, any day of the week.

What are the chances I could stop a bullet vs a frying pan? :)

I'd certainly rather someone try to kill me with a knife, bare hands, a frying pan, golf clubs, or pencils, rather than a gun, any day of the week.

Exactly. If someone comes at me with a knife, unless they have throwing knives, they have to get close to me, and then I've got a fighting chance. Same thing with bare hands, frying pan, golf clubs or pencils.

Guns? Not so much, because they can shoot at me from outside my reach.

Besides...........bullets are more lethal than all those other things mentioned.

Exactly. If someone comes at me with a knife, unless they have throwing knives, they have to get close to me, and then I've got a fighting chance. Same thing with bare hands, frying pan, golf clubs or pencils.

Besides...........bullets are more lethal than all those other things mentioned.

How many people do you think the Oregon shooter would have killed with a pencil?

How many people do you think the Oregon shooter would have killed with a pencil?

Probably none, because when he started shooting, a former Army member went straight after him to try to stop him and took 7 bullets before he could get to him.

If the dude had just a pencil, I think that soldier would have kicked his ass and saved everyone.

How mean is that mean streak?
We all got one.
I got one.
But it can be measured, especially when purchasing a gun.

You missed the point entirely.

We Americans are killing more people with our bare hands than terrorists are.

We should be more afraid of ourselves than guns or terrorists.

But you know what?

I bet if you did a study, you would find out we come out near the top in homicides with knives, bare hands, frying pans, golf clubs, and pencils.

I suspect we don't have so much a gun problem as a violence problem. Americans have a mean streak, and some of us are proud of it. For example, "Don't Mess With Texas™".

Anyone know?

An excellent point.....why do you suppose this is the case.

But you know what?

Anyone know?

I don't know. I have a theory it is because our ancestors were restless people who came here and blasted their way across the continent, and once they reached the other side, we just started blasting each other.

Something cultural and genetic.

Do you know why Tylenol has an aluminum seal on it when you buy it?

It didn't used to.

There is more than one way to commit mass murder when you put your mind to it.

But you know what?

Anyone know?

I don't know. I have a theory it is because our ancestors were restless people who came here and blasted their way across the continent, and once they reached the other side, we just started blasting each other.

In part, I agree....

We've lost the strength of the moral code that we used to keep ourselves in check.

Do you know why Tylenol has an aluminum seal on it when you buy it?

It didn't used to.

There is more than one way to commit mass murder when you put your mind to it.

Major cities might process their water through one plant.

But you know what?

Anyone know?

In part, I agree....

We've lost the strength of the moral code that we used to keep ourselves in check.
We were never in check. The Wild West. The genocide of the natives. The Texas Revolution and annexation. Driving carrier pigeons and buffalo into extinction. Slavery.

Moral code? What moral code? That's a NEW thing.

I don't know of many, if any, american's getting killed by bare hands. Usually there is a gun in those hands. I'm not saying it never happens, but it's rare by comparison.

I certainly agree that we've got a better chance at being killed by another American, before any terrorist attack.

But you know what?

Anyone know?

In part, I agree....

We were never in check. The Wild West. The genocide of the natives. Driving carrier pigeons and buffalo into extinction. Slavery.

Moral code? What moral code? That's a NEW thing.

We've always had one.

It's not like people always wanted it or obeyed it.

When they did, they were a lot happier.....

You know......Love your neighbor as yourself....don't steal...don't lie.....don't sleep with everyone...

All the stuff we do now.

I don't know of many, if any, american's getting killed by bare hands. Usually there is a gun in those hands.

I certainly agree that we've got a better chance at being killed by another American, before any terrorist attack.
I showed FBI statistics in another topic. We really do kill more people with our bare hands than terrorists do.

But you know what?

Anyone know?

Well, there is an ethnic group in the United States that makes up 13% of the population, but accounts for 52.5% of homicide offenders.

Homicide
According to the US Department of Justice, blacks accounted for 52.5% of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for blacks was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher.

Race and crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But it you dare to bring it up, you are instantly labelled a racist.

Evidently facts are bigoted.

Incarceration by race.png

Last edited:

But you know what?

Anyone know?

Well, there is an ethnic group in the United States that makes up 13% of the population, but accounts for 52.5% of homicide offenders.

Homicide
According to the US Department of Justice, blacks accounted for 52.5% of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for blacks was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher.

So why did you bring it up?

But you know what?

Anyone know?

Homicide

So why did you bring it up?

Because it is absolutely germane to the OP.

Any chance you're going to address it...you don't seem like the type to be cowed by the threat of being labeled for addressing a fact.

Forum List

Back