Watch Out! He's Got A Pencil!

I'd certainly rather someone try to kill me with a knife, bare hands, a frying pan, golf clubs, or pencils, rather than a gun, any day of the week.

What are the chances I could stop a bullet vs a frying pan? :)
You missed the point entirely.

We Americans are killing more people with our bare hands than terrorists are.

We should be more afraid of ourselves than guns or terrorists.

I don't know of many, if any, american's getting killed by bare hands. Usually there is a gun in those hands.

I certainly agree that we've got a better chance at being killed by another American, before any terrorist attack.
I showed FBI statistics in another topic. We really do kill more people with our bare hands than terrorists do.

I don't doubt that either, but it appears the choice weapon for American's murdering other American's is the gun.

The US comes out near the top in the gun homicide rate. Okay. Fine.

But you know what?

I bet if you did a study, you would find out we come out near the top in homicides with knives, bare hands, frying pans, golf clubs, and pencils.

I suspect we don't have so much a gun problem as a violence problem. Americans have a mean streak, and some of us are proud of it. For example, "Don't Mess With Texas™".

Someone should do such a study. I'd be surprised if no one has.

Anyone know?

Well, there is an ethnic group in the United States that makes up 13% of the population, but accounts for 52.5% of homicide offenders.

Homicide
According to the US Department of Justice, blacks accounted for 52.5% of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for blacks was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher.

Race and crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But it you dare to bring it up, you are instantly labelled a racist.

Evidently facts are bigoted.
So why did you bring it up?

Because it is absolutely germane to the OP.

Any chance you're going to address it...you don't seem like the type to be cowed by the threat of being labeled for addressing a fact.
It's about poverty, not race.

I don't know. I have a theory it is because our ancestors were restless people who came here and blasted their way across the continent, and once they reached the other side, we just started blasting each other.

Something cultural and genetic.

There are towns who haven't seen murders in years. Seems most violence is in the cities where gangs tend to be. You can't say it's Americans in general because the majority wouldn't hurt anyone, except in self-defense.

Look at the culture among gang members. Violent music and every day violence on the streets. If parents were gang members, the mindset is taught from day one.

There also seems to be a connection between violent behavior and some of the medications given for depression. Every other kid seemed to be diagnosed with ADHD when it was just behavior issues with some because their parents never disciplined them.

There is more violence than ever in movies, music and video games. Are we de-sensitizing our children to where they are no longer shocked at violent behavior?

The thing is, it's not reflective of most Americans. Why does Chicago seem to have such a high rate of crime? Look closely at the high crime areas and begin your study there.

I'd certainly rather someone try to kill me with a knife, bare hands, a frying pan, golf clubs, or pencils, rather than a gun, any day of the week.

I don't know of many, if any, american's getting killed by bare hands. Usually there is a gun in those hands.

I certainly agree that we've got a better chance at being killed by another American, before any terrorist attack.
I showed FBI statistics in another topic. We really do kill more people with our bare hands than terrorists do.

I don't doubt that either, but it appears the choice weapon for American's murdering other American's is the gun.
The gun is the symptom, not the disease.

I don't know. I have a theory it is because our ancestors were restless people who came here and blasted their way across the continent, and once they reached the other side, we just started blasting each other.

Something cultural and genetic.

There are towns who haven't seen murders in years. Seems most violence is in the cities where gangs tend to be. You can't say it's Americans in general because the majority wouldn't hurt anyone, except in self-defense.

Look at the culture among gang members. Violent music and every day violence on the streets. If parents were gang members, the mindset is taught from day one.

The thing is, it's not reflective of most Americans. Why does Chicago seem to have such a high rate of crime? Look closely at the high crime areas and begin your study there.
As I said, poverty causes crime. Doesn't take a genius to see that.

But you know what?

I bet if you did a study, you would find out we come out near the top in homicides with knives, bare hands, frying pans, golf clubs, and pencils.

I suspect we don't have so much a gun problem as a violence problem. Americans have a mean streak, and some of us are proud of it. For example, "Don't Mess With Texas™".

Anyone know?

Don't mess with Texas was an anti-litter campaign. Real mean, right?

It's about poverty, not race.

Bullshit.

First...Poverty doesn't equate to violent.

Second...There are almost twice as many whites living below the poverty line as blacks.

Poverty by race.png

Poverty Rate by Race/Ethnicity

Either way, it doesn't pan out.

Try again.

The gun is the symptom, not the disease.

That might look good on paper, but if these crazy mass shooters could only get a hold of pencils, there would be a lot less casualties.

There certainly is a correlation between crime and poverty.

I agree.

But there is something else going on.

52.5 percent of homicides are committed by 13% of the population.

47.5 percent of homicides are committed by the other 87% of the population.

There is definitely more to it than poverty.

If we are serious about solving this problem, we can't let political correctness stand in the way.

There certainly is a correlation between crime and poverty.

I agree.

But there is something else going on.

If we are serious about solving this problem, we can't let political correctness stand in the way.

I don't think you know the first thing about socio-economics. Political correctness has nothing to do with it.

Not all poor people turn to crime, so that alone is not a cause. It might be a factor and when combined with a dysfunctional home, a series of stupid decisions, poor grades and a drug or alcohol problem might lead to crime.

When talking about violence in our country, you stated that it's culture and genetic because of ancestors. I think that's way off base. I don't believe it's genetic, just taught by some parents who have no morals or a matter of young people thinking it's cool to commit crimes. Rap music often encourages it. Movies and video games might influence children who have no role models to keep them on track.

We even have what used to be a prestigious college allowing a thug to teach a class. One lesson is teaching why looting is justified. Some claim that whites took things from blacks so they are only stealing it back. The argument is that more white people have nice possessions than black people do. I worked and paid for everything I have. Didn't steal a damn thing and don't owe anyone anything. There is no reason why any person, of any color, can't obtain things the way I did. A lot of people live far better than I do, but they didn't take a damn thing from me and I don't begrudge them the fruits of their labor.

Personally, I think blaming others is just a cop out for those who born to crappy parents and grew up without learning skills to make an honest living. Schools aren't able to pick up the slack when parents mess up. It might be inner city culture where morals are absent and some learn young that stealing is easier than working. It's not genetic. And it's not the fault of society. No one can control what parents do or don't do. Schools try to convince students that parents are wrong on religion or gay marriage, but schools don't preach to kids about working and avoiding welfare. They are teaching them that anyone who lives well is greedy and that white privilege is the reason they are poor. I always wonder how they can buy that bullshit when so many minorities have proven that to be false.

Only thing holding them back is themselves.

Drugs, gun violence and crime replaced more wholesome activities and it's likely because parents have led their own children astray or just didn't take parenting seriously.

Today’s lesson at Yale from #BlackLivesMatter’s DeRay Mckesson: ‘In Defense of Looting’

http://twitchy.com/2015/10/03/todays-lesson-at-yale-from-blacklivesmatters-deray-mckesson-in-defense-of-looting/

I don't think you know the first thing about socio-economics. Political correctness has nothing to do with it.

I'm always interested in hearing differing viewpoints...enlighten me.

I'd be more than happy to search some suggested reading for you, however, I already have a full time job. Plus, if you really wanted to educate yourself on the subject, you would have done so by now. I have a strong feeling that you'd rather cling to your stats, with no further explanation.

http://www.huduser.gov/portal/publications/pdf/welfrwrkVchrPrgExc.pdf

Why the poor need better access to cars

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Household Poverty and Nonfatal Violent Victimization, 2008–2012

Not all poor people turn to crime, so that alone is not a cause. It might be a factor and when combined with a dysfunctional home, a series of stupid decisions, poor grades and a drug or alcohol problem might lead to crime.

When talking about violence in our country, you stated that it's culture and genetic because of ancestors. I think that's way off base. I don't believe it's genetic, just taught by some parents who have no morals or a matter of young people thinking it's cool to commit crimes. Rap music often encourages it. Movies and video games might influence children who have no role models to keep them on track.

We even have what used to be a prestigious college allowing a thug to teach a class. One lesson is teaching why looting is justified. Some claim that whites took things from blacks so they are only stealing it back. The argument is that more white people have nice possessions than black people do. I worked and paid for everything I have. Didn't steal a damn thing and don't owe anyone anything. There is no reason why any person, of any color, can't obtain things the way I did. A lot of people live far better than I do, but they didn't take a damn thing from me and I don't begrudge them the fruits of their labor.

Personally, I think blaming others is just a cop out for those who born to crappy parents and grew up without learning skills to make an honest living. Schools aren't able to pick up the slack when parents mess up. It might be inner city culture where morals are absent and some learn young that stealing is easier than working. It's not genetic. And it's not the fault of society. No one can control what parents do or don't do. Schools try to convince students that parents are wrong on religion or gay marriage, but schools don't preach to kids about working and avoiding welfare. They are teaching them that anyone who lives well is greedy and that white privilege is the reason they are poor. I always wonder how they can buy that bullshit when so many minorities have proven that to be false.

Only thing holding them back is themselves.

Drugs, gun violence and crime replaced more wholesome activities and it's likely because parents have led their own children astray or just didn't take parenting seriously.

Today’s lesson at Yale from #BlackLivesMatter’s DeRay Mckesson: ‘In Defense of Looting’

http://twitchy.com/2015/10/03/todays-lesson-at-yale-from-blacklivesmatters-deray-mckesson-in-defense-of-looting/

That's a link to a right wing hate site.

Planned parenthood has got the record for killing, 30 million...but yeah they're americans who work in these human body part chop shops.

I'd be more than happy to search some suggested reading for you, however, I already have a full time job. Plus, if you really wanted to educate yourself on the subject, you would have done so by now. I have a strong feeling that you'd rather cling to your stats, with no further explanation.

This is just about what I was expecting. Yada, yada, yada...using the word socio-economic sounded really good but you can't back it up with anything, yada, yada, yada.

Duly noted.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

This is just about what I was expecting. Yada, yada, yada...using the word socio-economic sounded really good but you can't back it up with anything, yada, yada, yada.

Duly noted.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

I see my prediction was correct.

But you know what?

Anyone know?

I travel overseas rather frequently and with the exception of the British who are a particularly miserable bunch, most Europeans are far more friendlier and inviting people than your average American. At least, that's been my observation. Many times I come back to the U.S. absolutely despising my fellow Americans.

But you know what?

Anyone know?

Didn't "John Wick" 'once kill 3 people in a bar with a pencil?' :)

Forum List

Back