Watch Out! He's Got A Pencil!

I'd certainly rather someone try to kill me with a knife, bare hands, a frying pan, golf clubs, or pencils, rather than a gun, any day of the week.

What are the chances I could stop a bullet vs a frying pan? :)

Exactly. If someone comes at me with a knife, unless they have throwing knives, they have to get close to me, and then I've got a fighting chance. Same thing with bare hands, frying pan, golf clubs or pencils.

Guns? Not so much, because they can shoot at me from outside my reach.

Besides...........bullets are more lethal than all those other things mentioned.

How many people do you think the Oregon shooter would have killed with a pencil?
Do you know why Tylenol has an aluminum seal on it when you buy it?

It didn't used to.

There is more than one way to commit mass murder when you put your mind to it.

I guess I've never heard of the Tylenol murderer.

The US comes out near the top in the gun homicide rate. Okay. Fine.

But you know what?

I bet if you did a study, you would find out we come out near the top in homicides with knives, bare hands, frying pans, golf clubs, and pencils.

I suspect we don't have so much a gun problem as a violence problem. Americans have a mean streak, and some of us are proud of it. For example, "Don't Mess With Texas™".

Someone should do such a study. I'd be surprised if no one has.

Anyone know?

Well, there is an ethnic group in the United States that makes up 13% of the population, but accounts for 52.5% of homicide offenders.

Homicide
According to the US Department of Justice, blacks accounted for 52.5% of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for blacks was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher.

Race and crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But it you dare to bring it up, you are instantly labelled a racist.

Evidently facts are bigoted.
So why did you bring it up?

Because it is absolutely germane to the OP.

Any chance you're going to address it...you don't seem like the type to be cowed by the threat of being labeled for addressing a fact.

Funny, he trying to turn the topic of why are Americans so violent into a conversation about blacks and violence. Because he's not interested in making it about race, yanno

How many people do you think the Oregon shooter would have killed with a pencil?
Yep.

This country has fallen into a copycat murder/suicide pattern in which innocent schoolkids are the targets and guns are the only weapon used.

Either we admit this and figure this out or it continues.
And what is your solution?
I truly don't know.

I do think this is a cultural issue at its core. Our young people are constantly exposed to and immersed in violence from every entertainment source; they're isolated more and more from each other because of technology; they're given meds for issues instead of having the issues addressed; they see others committing horrible crimes and becoming "famous". It goes on and on. If a young person decides to commit suicide, and this has always happened, they are now deciding to take others with them.

I have no idea.

Funny, he trying to turn the topic of why are Americans so violent into a conversation about blacks and violence. Because he's not interested in making it about race, yanno

Carla's just blowing smoke.

Do you wish to weigh in, or just shoot the messenger.

Yep.

This country has fallen into a copycat murder/suicide pattern in which innocent schoolkids are the targets and guns are the only weapon used.

I truly don't know.

I do think this is a cultural issue at its core. Our young people are constantly exposed to and immersed in violence from every entertainment source; they're isolated more and more from each other because of technology; they're given meds for issues instead of having the issues addressed; they see others committing horrible crimes and becoming "famous". It goes on and on. If a young person decides to commit suicide, and this has always happened, they are now deciding to take others with them.

I have no idea.

Well thank you for being honest. I agree with pretty much everything you've covered.

People talk about improving the mental health system, but that's just talk. No one is actually going to do anything about it.

I'd certainly rather someone try to kill me with a knife, bare hands, a frying pan, golf clubs, or pencils, rather than a gun, any day of the week.

Exactly. If someone comes at me with a knife, unless they have throwing knives, they have to get close to me, and then I've got a fighting chance. Same thing with bare hands, frying pan, golf clubs or pencils.

Besides...........bullets are more lethal than all those other things mentioned.

It didn't used to.

Google it... it is the reason we have tamper proof seals... G is correct.

Yep.

I truly don't know.

I have no idea.

Well thank you for being honest. I agree with pretty much everything you've covered.

People talk about improving the mental health system, but that's just talk. No one is actually going to do anything about it.

Exactly, that's because to do something about it means to take on the for profit prison industrial complex...but we all know nothing will be done, said or proposed to change that

Yep.

I truly don't know.

I have no idea.

Exactly, that's because to do something about it means to take on the for profit prison industrial complex...but we all know nothing will be done, said or proposed to change that

That's exactly right. We're using the prison system to house our mentally ill. Being mentally ill is now a crime. Texas is even executing them.

It didn't used to.

I guess I didn't remember that story because it was back in 1982. Now if you want to commit mass murder, you just order your ammunition online. It's much easier than the old days.

That's exactly right. We're using the prison system to house our mentally ill. Being mentally ill is now a crime. Texas is even executing them.
What I wonder about is the constitutionality of reporting and acting on mental illness.

In other words, I don't think it can be reported nationally, triggering a warning on gun purchases.

Another concern would be whether those who need treatment would avoid it because that information would be "in the system".

How many people do you think the Oregon shooter would have killed if some of his victims were armed?

It didn't used to.

I guess I didn't remember that story because it was back in 1982. Now if you want to commit mass murder, you just order your ammunition online. It's much easier than the old days.

Yes, and liberals are working double time to maximize the carnage by disarming your targets. Well done on that, you're making real progress

How many people do you think the Oregon shooter would have killed if some of his victims were armed?

The American Sniper, Chris Kyle, was armed when he got shot. Him and his buddy even sent text messages about watching each others back because the shooter was bonkers. If a sharp shooter can't protect himself while armed, I don't see how college students are going to do any better.

If you are suggesting arming all students, then I would have to wonder if you are mentally ill.

I think it would be just a ridiculous to arm all teachers.

We do need to tighten security at all schools and colleges, so maybe the NRA can put on a bake sale to help cover those costs. :p

It didn't used to.

Yes, and liberals are working double time to maximize the carnage by disarming your targets. Well done on that, you're making real progress

Really? And what exactly are liberals doing to disarm people?

The American Sniper, Chris Kyle, was armed when he got shot. Him and his buddy even sent text messages about watching each others back because the shooter was bonkers. If a sharp shooter can't protect himself while armed, I don't see how college students are going to do any better.

If you are suggesting arming all students, then I would have to wonder if you are mentally ill.

I think it would be just a ridiculous to arm all teachers.

We do need to tighten security at all schools and colleges, so maybe the NRA can put on a bake sale to help cover those costs. :p

So your standard is that if anyone with a gun gets shot then guns are useless for defense. There you go, liberal intelligence, an oxymoron, or just a moron, either way.

What does "tighten security" mean?

Forum List

Back