USMB should.................................

Do you think it would make the mods job easier if links told the poster the story exist already

• yes

• no

• maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
Ok, so it surely is a pain in the ass for the MODS who have to constantly go around locking for post because six others have already posted the same article and or Topic. Either we miss it, or the search doesn't turn up the same article because it is titled differently.

There could be a solution which won't stop it completely but there are some sites where if the articles are at least the same ( sometimes from the same site) or sometimes even if the title is close enough a window will pop up stating this article has already been posted. It works more than not having anything. So in turn it won't let you post that article.

I guess the admin could set it up that way if their web site provider has that as an option.

Some of us do search and the articles still slip through or are hidden in another sections in general.

Ok, so it surely is a pain in the ass for the MODS who have to constantly go around locking for post because six others have already posted the same article and or Topic. Either we miss it, or the search doesn't turn up the same article because it is titled differently.

There could be a solution which won't stop it completely but there are some sites where if the articles are at least the same ( sometimes from the same site) or sometimes even if the title is close enough a window will pop up stating this article has already been posted. It works more than not having anything. So in turn it won't let you post that article.

I guess the admin could set it up that way if their web site provider has that as an option.

Some of us do search and the articles still slip through or are hidden in another sections in general.

There already is a very simple solution.

Click the "Active Topics" link, and look at the first 3 or 4 pages. If there's already a thread on your topic, don't start another one.

Click the "Active Topics" link, and look at the first 3 or 4 pages. If there's already a thread on your topic, don't start another one.
That would involve reading and caring about what others are saying, this is not MindWars strong suit.

I've noticed there are two types of posters, maybe three. Folks that start threads and then abandon them, folks that participate in them, and then the rare kind, folks that do both.

LOL if the post is not wanted you just delete it with or without any other topic, but as always this is EXACTLY what elected Trump, so thanks

It's kind of hit-or-miss owing to the fact that a particular story may not contain a reasonably expected search term. If a thread title gets right to the point it'll be found, but if it tries to go all artsy, it might be hidden.

I've had some threads merged into an older thread whose title would have never given a clue what it's about.

• Banned

I"ve searched and often it doesn't come up.

Or what happens is sometimes it's possibly in politics etc................... DON'T ACT LIKE THE SEARCH PULLS EVERYTHING UP BECAUSE IT DOESN'T...................

YOUR OWN MODS HAVE POSTED SHIT THAT'S ALREADY BEEN POSTED .......

and when there is a day where " BREAKING" happens well everybody post it ........

Different titles don't pull up the same " articles on a particular" topic . ....

and I DIDN'T POST THIS FOR YOU MODS TO BE low blow smart asses either.

Or what happens is sometimes it's possibly in politics etc................... DON'T ACT LIKE THE SEARCH PULLS EVERYTHING UP BECAUSE IT DOESN'T...................

and when there is a day where " BREAKING" happens well everybody post it ........

Different titles don't pull up the same " articles on a particular" topic . ....

Maybe stop posting then ? Your threads are shite and spam up the board.

OK calm down. I agree with your point -- it's not an exact science. What we look for and what somebody else decided to call the same thing, might be different things. Also forum categories overlap, so a particular story might be Politics but also Current Events, maybe also Media, Race Relations, General Discussion --- many stories could end up anywhere. Unless everybody agreed on what the search tag should be, it can't be any more precise than a best-guess.

• Banned

OK calm down. I agree with your point -- it's not an exact science. What we look for and what somebody else decided to call the same thing, might be different things. Also forum categories overlap, so a particular story might be Politics but also Current Events, maybe also Media, Race Relations, General Discussion --- many stories could end up anywhere. Unless everybody agreed on what the search tag should be, it can't be any more precise than a best-guess.

Exactly. But no matter what the reason I think that link thing I mentioned could make it easier for everyone all the way around.

We should be able to delete our own post if he want, they must keep that for NSA though LOL.

That would involve reading and caring about what others are saying, this is not MindWars strong suit.

Maybe stop posting then ? Your threads are shite and spam up the board.

Summa y'all need to lighten up. OP poses an open and legitimate question here.

I don't know much about board software but I get what she's suggesting about a pop-up window, presumably driven by a search term algorithm. If that's a thing board software does, it's a positive suggestion.

I could give the site that does it in that manner and many lefties on here would probably love this site LOL.. it's mostly like minded Liberals..........

But it could take away USMB's population LMFAO .. just kidding

Some might already know about it, but I remember a long, long time ago if an article was posted already and was remotely similar you just couldn't post it. Plain simple easy. ..

Well I won't post the site it might piss off usmb mods ahhah.

I could give the site that does it in that manner and many lefties on here would probably love this site LOL.. it's mostly like minded Liberals..........

But it could take away USMB's population LMFAO .. just kidding

Some might already know about it, but I remember a long, long time ago if an article was posted already and was remotely similar you just couldn't post it. Plain simple easy. ..

Well I won't post the site it might piss off usmb mods ahhah.

Yeah you can't do that here -- against the rules. But I get the idea.

In many cases, it's not about "searching for duplicates'. It's more about some posters trying to place 2 or MORE threads about the SAME topic. In that case, just ask yourself --- Have I got an active thread on this topic opened? :rolleyes:

If it's not you posting the duplicate of YOUR OWN thread -- then remember, the mods manage to find the duplicates simply by browsing the listings of the 1st couple pages of each forum.

I don't think there's any AUTOMATED system that works as well. Because titles are often misleading. And machines can't easily take into account the "cross- forum" merging criteria or the sense of avoiding merging MATURE threads. Too many considerations to do merging. And you CANNOT easily "unmerge" anything.

Also -- often we CLOSE duplicates when there are many -- rather than merge. Especially for the weaker threads on the same topics. I personally wouldn't trust any "automated" solution..

No one wants a good thread ruined by merging with a weaker thread thats heading for Badlands or a close.

On a forum I used to frequent, the mods would close or merge threads, too. But, if they closed threads due to duplicates they would include a link to the other thread in their closing post. A weather forum I frequent in season, always does that. Makes it easier on everyone, (as titles don’t always reflect it) as the mod sees the duplicate, copies it’s link, closes the other thread and pastes the link in so others know where it is. Just an FYI how I’ve seen it done.

I always check to see what is already here first before I start any kind of chat just in case one that is like it is already here.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

See --- now here's a perfect example of what the OP's talking about.

I find a breaking story about Pennsylvania's Congressional district map being struck down. I search Politics for "Pennsylvania", for "gerrymander" and for "PA". Nothing on three pages. I search Current Events for the same three terms. Still nothing on three pages. So I submit the thread with the title, "Repub Gerrymandering Struck Down in PA".

HOW would I possibly guess it was already posted under the title "Democrats win another battle against Republican corruption"??

(And isn't my title better anyway?)

If the common sense search terms are not in the title of the older thread --- IT'S NOT GOING TO BE SEARCHABLE.

Forum List

Back