User Reputation System

Status
Not open for further replies.
JOKER96BRAVO said:
For once.....
I agree with Gab on this one.
What purpose does the rep system serve???
I mean REALLY serve in a way that can't be matched.
Dang, wish I could rep that Joker!

-=d=- said:
...because if you felt like you were being set up to be Rep-Ambushed, you'd do the right thing, and report the abuse of the PM system. (shrug). You're hoping to have coverage for EVERY SINGLE possible situation. I don't care about REAL or 'perceived' reasons for negative rep - I look at it like this:

If the negative rep relates to a post made, it's fine. If the negative rep is left with a comment like 'Here ya go, Twit!' I know it's simply a case of harrassment.

I'm sure somebody with enouch skillz COULD read PMs. I'd bet the Government could even read my DELETED emails.

I give --- you cannot tell me why the ability to give negative rep scares you so badly.

Free Speech is what this board is about - unless/until that speech becomes slander or libel or harrassment.

Neg rep is free speech ? That's a new one and sorry but this board has all kinds of limitations on what can and cannot be said.
The right to trash someones' rep is so important because its' our RIGHT to do so? If you don't like what some one says, get some balls and say so on the board--not while hiding behind a neg rep.

dilloduck said:
Neg rep is free speech ? That's a new one and sorry but this board has all kinds of limitations on what can and cannot be said.
The right to trash someones' rep is so important because its' our RIGHT to do so? If you don't like what some one says, get some balls and say so on the board--not while hiding behind a neg rep.

of COURSE neg rep is free speech. You expect everyone to LOVE what is written here? This board has limitations only with regard to flames and harrassments. Nobody can trash ANYONE's reputation - we trash (or make) our own reputation by our comments.

I made my reputation for good or for bad. So did Gabby.

Personal responsibility.

dilloduck said:

Do both...neg rep and post on the thread why you just gave the neg-rep.

All while staying within the guildelines of course.

Yes..free speech...I can walk into a theatre and scream fire...but I will get in trouble.

Say what you want in the thread..but get ready for the reprocussions..be it a neg rep, or a ban.

The more I think about this..the more I like having rep comments be bannable or just getting rid of the comment entirely.

Mr. P said:
Another idea...

Removable rep. access...If you get valid complaints the HMFIC can pull yer
ability to rep..You know 1,2, 3 strikes yer out. Hey, Not bad..

That will work too.

:thup:

Man, I can't believe how much hassle this topic has caused. :cuckoo:

Anyway, I think enough like the rep system to keep it, but leaving the option to comment will probably just lead to more heart burn and irritation. I think this is a shame because everyone LIKES to get positive rep, I don't care if they say otherwise, everyone likes a pat on the back, especially from their favorite poster(s). :D

Mr. P said:
Another idea...

Removable rep. access...If you get valid complaints the HMFIC can pull yer
ability to rep..You know 1,2, 3 strikes yer out. Hey, Not bad..

Plus, everyone now knows that comments are viewable, that in itself might put an end to the drama.

Oh yah, forget what I said above, I like this idea better. :D

-=d=- said:
of COURSE neg rep is free speech. You expect everyone to LOVE what is written here? This board has limitations only with regard to flames and harrassments. Nobody can trash ANYONE's reputation - we trash (or make) our own reputation by our comments.

I made my reputation for good or for bad. So did Gabby.

Personal responsibility.

Right--BUT MODS are the ones who make subjective decisions on whether neg reps are "appropriate" or not and NOTHING mods do can be challenged except by whining to jimmy---My guess is jimmy is tired of this shit and wants input. Mods can give and take away rep at will which I think is inappropriate use of power. RIGHT--LIMITATIONS ON FLAMING AND HARASSING SPEECH.
Of course I can trash anyones reputation --I just give em neg rep points--no one knows who made someone lose points except for mods so I don't look like a rep trasher to anyone unless a mod tells someone.

No--I expect that if people don't like what I post or even if they have a personal vendetta against me that they WILL neg rep me--I ain't the one whining here. It apparently is the ones who cant handle it. I have been told that someone who neg repped me that it was only done out of retaliation so it was OK.

Is the right to trash someone REALLY that important----Important enough to go through all this crap?? Obviously people use it to vent their anger when they can't do it coherently on the board. Rep points clearly do NOT represent any clear superiority of one person posts over another. So many of em are popularity contest points and cliques it's pitiful. Release all the DATA so we can see who scratches each others backs and gangs up on other people to bring them down. You can't just pick and choose which rep data you want to release to prove YOUR point.
BTW--why do only mods have access to read neg rep comments?

I say, trash the rep system. Instead, use the "Award this Post" option, which puts a big red ribbon on the posts that people think are award-worthy. There's no negative awarding, and no comments. I think that keeps the original intent of the rep system in place and ends the harassment-through-rep that we've seen.

dilloduck said:
Right--BUT MODS are the ones who make subjective decisions on whether neg reps are "appropriate" or not and NOTHING mods do can be challenged except by whining to jimmy---My guess is jimmy is tired of this shit and wants input. Mods can give and take away rep at will which I think is inappropriate use of power. RIGHT--LIMITATIONS ON FLAMING AND HARASSING SPEECH.

What does that have to do with the Rep system? No mod can rep you any worse than any other user.

Of course I can trash anyones reputation --I just give em neg rep points--no one knows who made someone lose points except for mods so I don't look like a rep trasher to anyone unless a mod tells someone.

okay?

No--I expect that if people don't like what I post or even if they have a personal vendetta against me that they WILL neg rep me--I ain't the one whining here. It apparently is the ones who cant handle it. I have been told that someone who neg repped me that it was only done out of retaliation so it was OK.

Again? What?

Is the right to trash someone REALLY that important----Important enough to go through all this crap?? Obviously people use it to vent their anger when they can't do it coherently on the board. Rep points clearly do NOT represent any clear superiority of one person posts over another.

But Rep points DO reward those who contribute the most productive threads/replies to the forum.

So many of em are popularity contest points and cliques it's pitiful.

Again - you haven't the data to back that yup, so you speculate then annouce it as 'fact'.

Release all the DATA so we can see who scratches each others backs and gangs up on other people to bring them down. You can't just pick and choose which rep data you want to release to prove YOUR point.

It's none of your business who has rep'd whom with what comments. It's only MY business because a few of you like to use the Rep system to harrass and otherwise fuck with other members. OF course I can choose rep data which proves my point - that's the entire point of this conversation -

- a FEW users have abused the Neg Rep system - yourself,as you said, included.
- I find NO instance dating back to Jan of this year were a Mod/Admin has abused the Neg Rep system against YOU.
- You and others have gone back-and-forth. Everyone was sent a nasty-gram saying 'knock it off'.

Facts. Like them or not.

BTW--why do only mods have access to read neg rep comments?

To keep people honest...to ensure the rep system doesnt turn into wide-spread flaming ala abusive, constant PMs.

(shrug).

GotZoom said:
The comments portion of the rep system is what is being abused, then get rid of that section.

Keep the positive and negative reps - if someone wants to make a comment to someone, then can use PM.

Personally, I think the rep system is a nice way to know that you are affecting people. Receiving points and nice comments helped to make me feel welcome here right away. I know that I positively rep all newcomers (except trolls), with the words "Welcome" in the comment field, so that they well feel as welcome as I did.

If change is really needed, I think Zoom's idea is sound.

gop_jeff said:
I say, trash the rep system. Instead, use the "Award this Post" option, which puts a big red ribbon on the posts that people think are award-worthy. There's no negative awarding, and no comments. I think that keeps the original intent of the rep system in place and ends the harassment-through-rep that we've seen.

Negative rep points are for those who lack real power in their own lives and use this in here to feel better about themselves...they hit others with a negative then complain when it is returned...I have always made it a point to only give negs when I was given them first...a lesson for the children in here who think they are exempt...what you gave you got back...when you harrass you were harrased back...then you have the nerve to complain to your fav mod how unfairly you were treated! :puke3:

archangel said:
Negative rep points are for those who lack real power in their own lives and use this in here to feel better about themselves...they hit others with a negative then complain when it is returned...I have always made it a point to only give negs when I was given them first...a lesson for the children in here who think they are exempt...what you gave you got back...when you harrass you were harrased back...then you have the nerve to complain to your fav mod how unfairly you were treated! :puke3:

Are you saying you've never neg-rep'd somebody out of spite, but ONLY when they neg rep'd you first? Tit for Tat sorta thing?

Out with the rep, I say...
Even if you're showing only possitive rep, what's the point????
You can just pm some one. The rep system was a game for some people
(not me of course). I will not miss it at all.

Having no rep system may encourage more activity here also by people with opposing viewpoints. It's gotta be a bit discouraging to post something and have 40 people shooting your rep points all to hell. The trolls can still be booted-whats the point in having people here with a million negative rep points?

-=d=- said:
Are you saying you've never neg-rep'd somebody out of spite, but ONLY when they neg rep'd you first? Tit for Tat sorta thing?

Are you saying you never pm'd someone to chastize them for picking on your favorite squeez...if ya want to hit on the ladies...be my guest...but please not at my expense! :confused: are we? :shocked:

Judging by the number of posts this is a much bigger disaster than Katrina. Which begs the question, why isn't Bush doing anything about the rep system?

dilloduck said:
Having no rep system may encourage more activity here also by people with opposing viewpoints. It's gotta be a bit discouraging to post something and have 40 people shooting your rep points all to hell. The trolls can still be booted-whats the point in having people here with a million negative rep points?

I was just thinking the same thing! :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back