User Reputation System

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with shutting down the rep system. It was never available when I wanted to use it anyway.

Admins can change rep at will, by any amounts... but I like your line of thinking Doug.

GZ: I'm thinking Jim is convinced the system needs changing - Like you I think it's fine as-is; and recently have had to deal with a couple abusers (some for those very comments above) - but in each case, things were resolved.

-=d=- said:
I'm not sure what that means. Can you point to more than 'one' or MAYBE 'two' mods who have abused the rep system in the past few months? You shouldn't be so accusatory. ;)

I'm not going to name names dude but you have access too my rep----it'll show ya what I'm talking about. Sorry, but being a mod doesn't automatically erase someones personal character flaws. Besides--why increase the gap of rights a mod has compared to that of the plain old vanilla user? I had no idea until just recently that mods even had access to comments made on the rep system and I think people should have been made aware that those comments were available for mods to read. I doubt that they would have been made if people knew that they were open reading for only certain people.

dilloduck said:
I'm not going to name names dude but you have access too my rep----it'll show ya what I'm talking about. Sorry, but being a mod doesn't automatically erase someones personal character flaws. Besides--why increase the gap of rights a mod has compared to that of the plain old vanilla user? I had no idea until just recently that mods even had access to comments made on the rep system and I think people should have been made aware that those comments were available for mods to read. I doubt that they would have been made if people knew that they were open reading for only certain people.

This isnt a country - this isn't a political system. You have no rights per se...anyone membership can be cancelled at any time for any reason.

That said, I looked at your rep from today, back through JANUARY of this year...

At NO time in that period did a USMB Staff member abuse the Negative Reputation feature - there were some negative reps, but every one was tied to a specific thread you made; Id Est, they were not 'dinging' you simply as a means to throw an insult or harrassment out of the blue.

-=d=- said:
GZ: I'm thinking Jim is convinced the system needs changing - Like you I think it's fine as-is; and recently have had to deal with a couple abusers (some for those very comments above) - but in each case, things were resolved.

The comments portion of the rep system is what is being abused, then get rid of that section.

Keep the positive and negative reps - if someone wants to make a comment to someone, then can use PM.

GotZoom said:
The comments portion of the rep system is what is being abused, then get rid of that section.

Keep the positive and negative reps - if someone wants to make a comment to someone, then can use PM.

I'd rather get rid of/retrain the people abusing it, than get rid of the system.
:)

-=d=- said:
I'd rather get rid of/retrain the people abusing it, than get rid of the system.

I think that would be the number one option....as I said with my "bannable offense" post.

I get all warm and fuzzy when I get a positive rep.

Yeah..that's hot.

-=d=- said:
This isnt a country - this isn't a political system. You have no rights per se...anyone membership can be cancelled at any time for any reason.

That said, I looked at your rep from today, back through JANUARY of this year...

At NO time in that period did a USMB Staff member abuse the Negative Reputation feature - there were some negative reps, but every one was tied to a specific thread you made; Id Est, they were not 'dinging' you simply as a means to throw an insult or harrassment out of the blue.

But that is only in YOUR opinion D. You can't read the PMs I got from that person that would fully explain to you how those neg reps are personal as hell. Go ahead and share them with everyone if you like and let people decide for themselves if they were personal.. I got warned about some neg rep I gave that was directly related to the thread I was referring to yet it was determined by someone else to REALLY be retaliation. Sorry--it's too subjective. Lose the neg rep----WHY IN THE HELL DO WE NEED TO SHIT ON PEOPLE ?

dilloduck said:
But that is only in YOUR opinion D. You can't read the PMs I got from that person that would fully explain to you how those neg reps are personal as hell. Go ahead and share them with everyone if you like and let people decide for themselves if they were personal.. I got warned about some neg rep I gave that was directly related to the thread I was referring to yet it was determined by someone else to REALLY be retaliation. Sorry--it's too subjective. Lose the neg rep----WHY IN THE HELL DO WE NEED TO SHIT ON PEOPLE ?

PMs aren't the question, so that part of your reply doesn't apply. We're talking 'abuse of the rep system' - It's not my opinion - it's me looking at the DATA.

You got warned because your comments were NOT related to a specific post. You didn't get warned about negative rep - you got warned about your comments about the rep, which looking at both the comment you left, and the post you were leaving the rep for, lead me to conclude the comments/rep was NOT related to the post. Remember - not only can I see what you left for a comment, I can see what post you were repping as well.

If everyone polices themselves - yes, even you bro - this problem would be a non-issue.

-=d=- said:
PMs aren't the question, so that part of your reply doesn't apply. We're talking 'abuse of the rep system' - It's not my opinion - it's me looking at the DATA.

You got warned because your comments were NOT related to a specific post. You didn't get warned about negative rep - you got warned about your comments about the rep, which looking at both the comment you left, and the post you were leaving the rep for, lead me to conclude the comments/rep was NOT related to the post. Remember - not only can I see what you left for a comment, I can see what post you were repping as well.

If everyone polices themselves - yes, even you bro - this problem would be a non-issue.

Thats the BIG if D---apparently people are not policing themselves including me and mods. Now "abuse" of the system has been finally defined well enough to understand it. If I would have known it was open for mods to read I would have simply not left a comment. This might be the case for others to but I don't know that for sure.
I won't deny a damn thing---I have been in "rep squabbles" with other posters and a mod. Apparently others have too which is all the more reason to lose the neg rep.---again---why is it so important to be able to trash each others rep? If you can answer me that, I may be able to understand reason you want to keep it.

dilloduck said:
Thats the BIG if D---apparently people are not policing themselves including me and mods.

...except I can't find a record of a Mod abusing YOU with the rep system; so unless a specific user complains, your assertation is speculation.

I would think that anyone who is knowledgeable enough to post on a message board would know to assume that the mods, or at least the admin, would have access to everything posted on this board.

-=d=- said:
...except I can't find a record of a Mod abusing YOU with the rep system; so unless a specific user complains, your assertation is speculation.

you're interpretation of rep abuse is highly subjective, D--how in the hell do you know that I wasn't told in a pm to shut up or I would get neg rep----you aren't always aware of the REAL reason for negative rep. It's simple to make it look very professional and not personal.

GZ--using thtat logic then I would also assume that all PMs could be read too.

I give----you cannot tell me why the ability to give neg rep is so damn important.

put filters on the comments section set to not accept certain words. make them show up as ## or @@ or --. that way everyone can keep their reps and comments and the cuss words are left out.

dilloduck said:

I had the same assumption when I started posting on the board. Then, a couple of weeks later, I asked a mod what could and couldn't be read by mods/admin.

The mod told me. Now I know. And I "act" accordingly.

GotZoom said:
I had the same assumption when I started posting on the board. Then, a couple of weeks later, I asked a mod what could and couldn't be read by mods/admin.

The mod told me. Now I know. And I "act" accordingly.

I guess I should have been as suspicious of those with "power" as you were.

I would also assume if there is a neg rep option , one should be smart enough to know that someones gonna come along and use it too. And NOT always as constructive criticism.

dilloduck said:
you're interpretation of rep abuse is highly subjective, D--how in the hell do you know that I wasn't told in a pm to shut up or I would get neg rep----you aren't always aware of the REAL reason for negative rep. It's simple to make it look very professional and not personal.

...because if you felt like you were being set up to be Rep-Ambushed, you'd do the right thing, and report the abuse of the PM system. (shrug). You're hoping to have coverage for EVERY SINGLE possible situation. I don't care about REAL or 'perceived' reasons for negative rep - I look at it like this:

If the negative rep relates to a post made, it's fine. If the negative rep is left with a comment like 'Here ya go, Twit!' I know it's simply a case of harrassment.

I'm sure somebody with enouch skillz COULD read PMs. I'd bet the Government could even read my DELETED emails.

I give----you cannot tell me why the ability to give neg rep is so damn important.

I give --- you cannot tell me why the ability to give negative rep scares you so badly.

Free Speech is what this board is about - unless/until that speech becomes slander or libel or harrassment.

Can we get a poll somewhere that will let people vote on this issue?

It may be that most users would like to get rid of the rep system entirely, it may be that they would prefer it with some changes, or it may be that they like it fine as is and would like to see some people sanctioned for their abuse but keep the system.

Instead of just trashing it in its entirety there are many ways to either make it better or to simply inform people of abuse and to end it.

no1tovote4 said:
Can we get a poll somewhere that will let people vote on this issue?

It may be that most users would like to get rid of the rep system entirely, it may be that they would prefer it with some changes, or it may be that they like it fine as is and would like to see some people sanctioned for their abuse but keep the system.

Instead of just trashing it in its entirety there are many ways to either make it better or to simply inform people of abuse and to end it.

I have never been a fan of that sort of things. In my view, the staff should just make a decision and run with it. Boards do not last long if they are a democracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back