User Reputation System

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't mind the 'positive only' rep system. The only time I dinged somebody was when they were trolling, and trolls don't care. As for positive rep, I've seen it as a sort of incentive, maybe not as strong as the cash prize, but an incentive for posting things that constructive, informative, or humorous. I'd like to see it return in some capacity, but it won't really break my heart if it doesn't.

Mr. P said:
Extra work for someone, and what does it matter, 5000 points gets ya, what? I mean really, what is the point in points? It's like a scarlet letter for some (Neg. is red) and a "I'm cool" for others..
It sort of sets up a class system, doesnt it? This is the only site I've ever been on with points.

I would also be perfectly happy with Mr. Ps' plan. Points gets the pride issue into play and we all know how disastrous THAT can become.

So the question to MrP and dillo is:

Should we hide Post counts, too? And date joined? I mean - (bear with the whiney sarcasm) we wouldn't want ppl to take PRIDE In their participation with this group, now would we? ;)

:)

dilloduck said:
My suggestion would be to delete only the negative rep feature if possible. If peoples' reputation is going to be a feature that is available for public viewing, those that feel some pride about a big rep number are naturally going to be pissed when someone gives them ANY kind of negative rep. It's titled neg rep for god sake, and I don't think anyone here looks at em and says--"yup yup I deserved that one".
If no one was able to LOWER someone elses rep and pissing contests went on in PMs or something, I doubt that you would have as many complaints because the way it is now, rep is something that everyone can see and some folks want to protect thier reputation. A negative PM you can just delete and no one ELSE knows the difference.
Bottom line? Maybe the old adage that " If you don't have anything nice to say about a person, don't say anything at all ", is some pretty damn good advice and could decrease some bickering.

Interesting points. Maybe just getting rid of the negative rep is the answer. Again, I like leaving positive reps and comments for people; some times it has turned into a very enjoyable conversation with someone who I may not have talked to so much in the first place.

I can't help but wonder though - there obviously was some abuse as Jummy pointed out. And apparently some of the comments were abusive and totally in appropriate - why else would he be driven to stop them completely?

I can see telling something they are out of their mind, etc..but to get to the point that it apparently did, is just insane. What purpose does it serve? If you don't like something someone said, neg-rep it and move on. If you don't like that person, why waste the time writing something abusive to them.

Maybe if more people stuck with the intent of the Rep system, and followed to some degree Dillo's advice of not saying anything if they don't have anything nice to say, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Who here can say they have posted things or said things to another user that was totally inappropriate?

Start there.

<i>**looks around**</i>

I'd better go before I flip my lid..

I will say this.. Most of us participating in this discussion needs to remember exactly *why* it's suddenly come to a head. Hypocrisy doesn't displace blame.

Toodles.

dilloduck said:
I would also be perfectly happy with Mr. Ps' plan. Points gets the pride issue into play and we all know how disastrous THAT can become.

I'll disagree with this one though.

The "pride issue" is only disastrous if people act like children and take things personally.

-=d=- said:
So the question to MrP and dillo is:

Should we hide Post counts, too? And date joined? I mean - (bear with the whiney sarcasm) we wouldn't want ppl to take PRIDE In their participation with this group, now would we? ;)

:)
Well hell D, I don't know bout you, but I don't need visual support to feel good about my participation and opinions. CATCH!:gross2: :)

Mr. P said:
I may be wrong, but my guess is that's what got us this thread.

You are probably right. The people acting like children is what brought us here.

Maybe that is the answer. It isn't the rep system that is the problem. Maybe if abusing it with the comments that are left could be considered also a "bannable" offense, the problem would go away.

GotZoom said:
I'll disagree with this one though.

The "pride issue" is only disastrous if people act like children and take things personally.

Perhaps I should have said false pride .
# of posts and date people joined?---big deal--no one can affect those but the user. We're talking about those green squares that theoretically announce to the world how "good" everyone thinks you are. We all know that's a pretty unscientific way of determining the quality of the person who received them.

GotZoom said:
You are probably right. The people acting like children is what brought us here.

Maybe that is the answer. It isn't the rep system that is the problem. Maybe if abusing it with the comments that are left could be considered also a "bannable" offense, the problem would go away.
That may work..

Mr. P said:
That may work..

It might but what real purpose would it serve to just purposely reduce someones' rep? I gotta think that some complain about ANY neg marks on thier rep. Rep just isn't that damn important or accurate to have the admins bother with it all the time. No one complains about positive rep so keep it. Why is it so damn important that we be given a method to mess with someone elses reputation PRIVATELY???? If you wanna disagree with some one--get up the guts to do it publically if a form that is mature and rational.
The rest of us can then decide for ourselves if you deserve it or not---and respond too!! Screw this little underground backstabbing game.

Rep comments left by some of the users IN THIS THREAD:

[If you wanna piece a me --just PM me]

[Hey look--someone dinged you too--I here it's the new thing! LOL]

[It's you and your reconceived notions I have a problem with - you've spent the entire thread calling me a tramp, when you've never even seen me. Fuck off.]

You are pathetic.. rarely give negs but you asked for it too many times!]

[You want to play...wtf is your problem!]

[UP yours twit!]

-=d=- said:
[you're insane, enjoy your day!]

One of those, as you can see was mine - posted to a Troll. The others are by solid long-time members to other solid long-time members.

The comments above show how the Rep system can be abused; turned into an editorial on others' personalities rather than specific comments directed towards a post.

What about the Mods/Admins being the only people who can apply negative rep? *Most* of the mods here are rational and reasonable; and would not likely abuse the system.

-=d=- said:
What about the Mods/Admins being the only people who can apply negative rep? *Most* of the mods here are rational and reasonable; and would not likely abuse the system.

Sorry but :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

dilloduck said:
Sorry but :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I'm not sure what that means. Can you point to more than 'one' or MAYBE 'two' mods who have abused the rep system in the past few months? You shouldn't be so accusatory. ;)

-=d=- said:
Rep comments left by some of the users IN THIS THREAD:

One of those, as you can see was mine - posted to a Troll. The others are by solid long-time members to other solid long-time members.

The comments above show how the Rep system can be abused; turned into an editorial on others' personalities rather than specific comments directed towards a post.

Touche'

I wondered if anyone posting in the thread was also guilty of abusing the rep system. I just wasn't going to ask.

I think everyone should have the ability to rep and neg rep; not just admin/mods. Really, I don't think it's broken. I think the people who are abusing it should be dealt with, not simply get rid of it completely.

-=d=- said:

You can create a system of warnings where the rep is reduced by small amounts. Just like in any system, most people do not see what they are doing as bad and are going to complain when they are reduced.

Points don't have to be based solely on people's opinions of their opinion either. You can set up a system based on participation where small amounts of points are given for posts, more for starting a popular thread, etc. I have seen boards like this and it works rather well. This gives more options than just banning to Mods and creates an atmosphere where outside opinions are more accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back