User Reputation System

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Until further notice, use of this feature has been turned off for the entire board. There have been too many taking these comments personally and too many using the tool to leave personal remarks for others. Not to mention too many complaints that I get emailed/PM'd about daily.

If you 'truly' like this feature, give me compelling reasons to reactivate the system. I'll monitor this thread, and if the community speaks loud enough I will re-enable the Rep system.

-Jim

jimnyc said:
Until further notice, use of this feature has been turned off for the entire board. There have been too many taking these comments personally and too many using the tool to leave personal remarks for others. Not to mention too many complaints that I get emailed/PM'd about daily.

If you 'truly' like this feature, give me compelling reasons to reactivate the system. I'll monitor this thread, and if the community speaks loud enough I will re-enable the Rep system.

-Jim

For the most part, it's a good way to say "great article" etc with out having to take up space in the thread. But I agree, too many were taking it to heart and using it to take out their frustrations on one another.

Perhaps the removal of the ability to leave comments themselves might be an idea.. The simple "I approve of this post" or "I don't approve of this post".

You either liked the post you're repping, or you didn't. The other little qualifiers like whore, bitch, etc. are really unnecessary.

Shattered said:
Perhaps the removal of the ability to leave comments themselves might be an idea.. The simple "I approve of this post" or "I don't approve of this post".

You either liked the post you're repping, or you didn't. The other little qualifiers like whore, bitch, etc. are really unnecessary.

Excellent idea. I personally like knowing that someone shares my opinion about a subject (or doesn't share it). If people can't keep the personal attacks to themselves or a PM, then yes, get rid of the comments.

But at a minimum, I think we should have the "approve" or "don't approve" option.

I like repping people, regardless of opinion and have almost never neg repped. If we drop the comments it could solve some of the issues, but I like reading the comments from the others.

I think that what will likely happen is people will start using the PM to get the same little messages across, negative or positive and it might not end up saving any trouble for the Admins. Give it a try, anything to improve your board can help.

You may want to change the system a little. I will send a PM to you about a board that I know of that uses an interesting system where you get points for the number of posts, starting threads that become popular, etc. but not for personal popularity points. You can vote a person to receive a reward, and you only get a few votes per month. It seems to work well for that board.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I say leave em off.
We can pm and give a thumbs up.

I agree. No reason one can't quote a great post or award the thread! Lord knows, no one seems to have any problems in slammin' what they don't care for.

Shattered said:

For the most part, people use the comments to communicate positive or at least constructive comments relating to a post. There exists a small number of user who have used the system as a means for harrassment - in every one of those cases which were reported, The Administration can and has stepped in to correct the misuse. Removing the ability to add comment to the approval/disapproval won't change people who militantly or abusively add Neg Rep. And remember, nobody is FORCED to leave a comment.

The fix for the problem is to train people to take out their frustrations elsewhere...

-=d=- said:
For the most part, people use the comments to communicate positive or at least constructive comments relating to a post. There exists a small number of user who have used the system as a means for harrassment - in every one of those cases which were reported, The Administration can and has stepped in to correct the misuse. Removing the ability to add comment to the approval/disapproval won't change people who militantly or abusively add Neg Rep. And remember, nobody is FORCED to leave a comment.

The fix for the problem is to train people to take out their frustrations elsewhere...

I agree.. except for the fact that if there's no comment, there's no words to take personally..

I dunno. I'll go along with whatever...

Shattered said:
I agree.. except for the fact that if there's no comment, there's no words to take personally..

I dunno. I'll go along with whatever...

Your avatar..

"Hi!"

"Go down on me!"

"That's GREAT...thanks!"

????

-=d=- said:

Maybe they should limit the ratio of good/bad points users can give, or limit the amount of reps per week or month.

-=d=- said:
Your avatar..

"Hi!"

"Go down on me!"

"That's GREAT...thanks!"

????

:eek2:

Where the HELL did you get THAT from?

And here I just thought it was cute. Now it's gone.

nucular said:
Maybe they should limit the ratio of good/bad points users can give, or limit the amount of reps per week or month.

Those things are limited - to an extent.

One must rep 10? other users before coming back to the same user.
One negative reps HALF strength the of their positive rep.

And violations of Rep system are easy to account for, as Admins/mods can view rep comments left between users.

I think that the rep system is a fun idea, we have used it here for quite some time. I think that making rules and enforcing them about abuse of the rep system and then editing their rep down after breaking the rules could be a good idea as well.

no1tovote4 said:
I like repping people, regardless of opinion and have almost never neg repped. If we drop the comments it could solve some of the issues, but I like reading the comments from the others.

I think that what will likely happen is people will start using the PM to get the same little messages across, negative or positive and it might not end up saving any trouble for the Admins. Give it a try, anything to improve your board can help.

You may want to change the system a little. I will send a PM to you about a board that I know of that uses an interesting system where you get points for the number of posts, starting threads that become popular, etc. but not for personal popularity points. You can vote a person to receive a reward, and you only get a few votes per month. It seems to work well for that board.

My suggestion would be to delete only the negative rep feature if possible. If peoples' reputation is going to be a feature that is available for public viewing, those that feel some pride about a big rep number are naturally going to be pissed when someone gives them ANY kind of negative rep. It's titled neg rep for god sake, and I don't think anyone here looks at em and says--"yup yup I deserved that one".
If no one was able to LOWER someone elses rep and pissing contests went on in PMs or something, I doubt that you would have as many complaints because the way it is now, rep is something that everyone can see and some folks want to protect thier reputation. A negative PM you can just delete and no one ELSE knows the difference.
Bottom line? Maybe the old adage that " If you don't have anything nice to say about a person, don't say anything at all ", is some pretty damn good advice and could decrease some bickering.

For once.....
I agree with Gab on this one.
What purpose does the rep system serve???
I mean REALLY serve in a way that can't be matched.

dilloduck said:
My suggestion would be to delete only the negative rep feature if possible. If peoples' reputation is going to be a feature that is available for public viewing, those that feel some pride about a big rep number are naturally going to be pissed when someone gives them ANY kind of negative rep. It's titled neg rep for god sake, and I don't think anyone here looks at em and says--"yup yup I deserved that one".
If no one was able to LOWER someone elses rep and pissing contests went on in PMs or something, I doubt that you would have as many complaints because the way it is now, rep is something that everyone can see and some folks want to protect thier reputation. A negative PM you can just delete and no one ELSE knows the difference.
Bottom line? Maybe the old adage that " If you don't have anything nice to say about a person, don't say anything at all ", is some pretty damn good advice and could decrease some bickering.

Valid points. I tried to rep you...but... ;)

no1tovote4 said:
I think that the rep system is a fun idea, we have used it here for quite some time. I think that making rules and enforcing them about abuse of the rep system and then editing their rep down after breaking the rules could be a good idea as well.
Extra work for someone, and what does it matter, 5000 points gets ya, what? I mean really, what is the point in points? It's like a scarlet letter for some (Neg. is red) and a "I'm cool" for others..
It sort of sets up a class system, doesnt it? This is the only site I've ever been on with points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics

Forum List

Back