User Reputation System

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by jimnyc, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Until further notice, use of this feature has been turned off for the entire board. There have been too many taking these comments personally and too many using the tool to leave personal remarks for others. Not to mention too many complaints that I get emailed/PM'd about daily.

If you 'truly' like this feature, give me compelling reasons to reactivate the system. I'll monitor this thread, and if the community speaks loud enough I will re-enable the Rep system.

-Jim

2. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    For the most part, it's a good way to say "great article" etc with out having to take up space in the thread. But I agree, too many were taking it to heart and using it to take out their frustrations on one another.

3. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps the removal of the ability to leave comments themselves might be an idea.. The simple "I approve of this post" or "I don't approve of this post".

You either liked the post you're repping, or you didn't. The other little qualifiers like whore, bitch, etc. are really unnecessary.

4. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Excellent idea. I personally like knowing that someone shares my opinion about a subject (or doesn't share it). If people can't keep the personal attacks to themselves or a PM, then yes, get rid of the comments.

But at a minimum, I think we should have the "approve" or "don't approve" option.

5. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I like repping people, regardless of opinion and have almost never neg repped. If we drop the comments it could solve some of the issues, but I like reading the comments from the others.

I think that what will likely happen is people will start using the PM to get the same little messages across, negative or positive and it might not end up saving any trouble for the Admins. Give it a try, anything to improve your board can help.

You may want to change the system a little. I will send a PM to you about a board that I know of that uses an interesting system where you get points for the number of posts, starting threads that become popular, etc. but not for personal popularity points. You can vote a person to receive a reward, and you only get a few votes per month. It seems to work well for that board.

6. JOKER96BRAVO

JOKER96BRAVO Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I say leave em off.
    We can pm and give a thumbs up.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree. No reason one can't quote a great post or award the thread! Lord knows, no one seems to have any problems in slammin' what they don't care for.

8. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I don't really care one way or the other.

Run a month without the rep sys.
    See how it goes.

9. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

For the most part, people use the comments to communicate positive or at least constructive comments relating to a post. There exists a small number of user who have used the system as a means for harrassment - in every one of those cases which were reported, The Administration can and has stepped in to correct the misuse. Removing the ability to add comment to the approval/disapproval won't change people who militantly or abusively add Neg Rep. And remember, nobody is FORCED to leave a comment.

The fix for the problem is to train people to take out their frustrations elsewhere...

10. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.. except for the fact that if there's no comment, there's no words to take personally..

I dunno. I'll go along with whatever...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.