US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

So what? What is your point?
Well, let's see, there's a teacher shortage in the country for one thing.
You don't think that's something worth mentioning ?
a7_worldeducationranking-576x716.jpg

We passed Sweden for some reason.

Essentially subsidizing underfunded schools,teachers in the US spend an average of $459 on classroom supplies for which they are not reimbursed.

Subsidizing Underfunded Schools, US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

That being said, they have it relatively better than a lot of people in terms of benefits
and other public union advantages.

174289-21898.png

Then they are stupid. At my district, one week before school starts in the elementary schools the teachers receive school supply packs. One per kid. What ever is left over go's up for when it's needed. Almost every church around here gives school supplies away, as well as back packs for the kids. Then you have the kids who have responsible parents who buy all the supplies on the list, the teacher keeps those to. So bullshit. Those kids have what they need.
It can add up over the year when you want to do something fun or different. Buying Hershey's Kisses for a math class or buying craft board to make a big wall poster or order something particularly helpful online. Throwing a pizza party to thank a really hard working class. Teachers do that stuff. It's not so much about buying pencils and pens.

Yup they do do that. And when it's pizza time they send notes home to the kids parents that their child will need to bring $20.00 for Pizza day. School districts have all sorts of ways to run scams and are as corrupt as Chicago politicians. Truth be told, individual teachers buy very little where I work. Each school in the district has a budget of their own just for things like pizza day, field trips and such. This is why kids who can't bring $$ typically get to participate even though they can't or don't pay. That's just elementary school. Junior high and high schools here are alittle different, but the kids don't hurt for supplies unless they and or their parents are very lazy.

While I understand the problem of teachers spending money on supplies, I spent almost $4000 on supplies for my job last year. Just sayin.
In a just system, these should at least be tax write offs .

They are legitimate tax deductions.
Self employed people like truck drivers have to keep their receipts too so
, with teachers it may depend on the state or each districts' residents..

Here's one for a fellow conservative:

Average base public school pay: $49 ish
Average base private school pay: $36 ish

But somehow, yeah magically, all the BEST teachers are in the private schools.

Sure they are, yep. Nevermind those free market principles....

ETA: Private School Teacher Pay Scale

Specifically, what is your point?

I teach adults but have never taught children and have never had a desire to do so.

Why would a teacher prefer teaching in a private school as opposed to a public school? Simple, discipline and working conditions.

Essentially subsidizing underfunded schools,teachers in the US spend an average of $459 on classroom supplies for which they are not reimbursed.

Subsidizing Underfunded Schools, US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

That being said, they have it relatively better than a lot of people in terms of benefits

174289-21898.png

Then they are stupid. At my district, one week before school starts in the elementary schools the teachers receive school supply packs. One per kid. What ever is left over go's up for when it's needed. Almost every church around here gives school supplies away, as well as back packs for the kids. Then you have the kids who have responsible parents who buy all the supplies on the list, the teacher keeps those to. So bullshit. Those kids have what they need.
It can add up over the year when you want to do something fun or different. Buying Hershey's Kisses for a math class or buying craft board to make a big wall poster or order something particularly helpful online. Throwing a pizza party to thank a really hard working class. Teachers do that stuff. It's not so much about buying pencils and pens.

Yup they do do that. And when it's pizza time they send notes home to the kids parents that their child will need to bring $20.00 for Pizza day. School districts have all sorts of ways to run scams and are as corrupt as Chicago politicians. Truth be told, individual teachers buy very little where I work. Each school in the district has a budget of their own just for things like pizza day, field trips and such. This is why kids who can't bring $$ typically get to participate even though they can't or don't pay. That's just elementary school. Junior high and high schools here are alittle different, but the kids don't hurt for supplies unless they and or their parents are very lazy.
I've never taught at a school with that kind of bucks or in a community that donated so much. Those are averages, remember.

While I understand the problem of teachers spending money on supplies, I spent almost $4000 on supplies for my job last year. Just sayin.
In a just system, these should at least be tax write offs .

They are legitimate tax deductions.
Self employed people like truck drivers have to keep their receipts too so
, with teachers it may depend on the state or each districts' residents..

That would have nothing to do with their Federal Income Taxes.

Standardized testing is about the worst way to go about that en masse. It's most useful for real estate agents and politicians, and downright destructive to many others. Like children. I'm a teacher and when my children's test scores came from The State we didn't even open them. We threw them right in the trash can. Other than for real estate agents and politicians, they're meaningless.

If you reject standardized testing, specifically how would you evaluate a child's progress?

I am surprised we have not moved to an online model. Same class online for everyone no matter whether you live in a poor or a rich district. You may rewind, FF or pause, and ask questions of teachers and fellow students online. The brick and mortar schooling should be a thing of the past
Who's buying those poor kids a computer and wifi at home? Textbooks and materials? Who's going to make sure the kid is actually sitting there learning each day while the parent(s) are at work? We have an online alternative high school option here in Maine, but it is not something to just glibly jump into. It takes commitment by the student and the parents.

You don't need books. You're online. Who doesn't have WiFi? If you have cable you have WiFi. Instead of being negative why not look at the positive aspects?

Standardized testing is about the worst way to go about that en masse. It's most useful for real estate agents and politicians, and downright destructive to many others. Like children. I'm a teacher and when my children's test scores came from The State we didn't even open them. We threw them right in the trash can. Other than for real estate agents and politicians, they're meaningless.

If you reject standardized testing, specifically how would you evaluate a child's progress?

By the length of his prison record?

I am surprised we have not moved to an online model. Same class online for everyone no matter whether you live in a poor or a rich district. You may rewind, FF or pause, and ask questions of teachers and fellow students online. The brick and mortar schooling should be a thing of the past
Who's buying those poor kids a computer and wifi at home? Textbooks and materials? Who's going to make sure the kid is actually sitting there learning each day while the parent(s) are at work? We have an online alternative high school option here in Maine, but it is not something to just glibly jump into. It takes commitment by the student and the parents.

You don't need books. You're online. Who doesn't have WiFi? If you have cable you have WiFi. Instead of being negative why not look at the positive aspects?

But what if your child has a total aversion of technology, and is afraid of it, and panics when he sees it, and beats you up as a result?

There are still quite a few folks that don't have the internet; internet is NOT free with basic cable service, you know. A lot have only a phone, not a computer. I have some students that don't even have a phone. In order to be the ONLY option, EVERYONE would have to have the necessary tools.

If you are talking about it being an option, that's different, and probably if parents are willing to stay home and make sure their kids are actually doing their school time, it will be used more and more.

But what if your child has a total aversion of technology, and is afraid of it, and panics when he sees it, and beats you up as a result?

Then that child will not survive in the real world.

There are still quite a few folks that don't have the internet; internet is NOT free with basic cable service, you know. A lot have only a phone, not a computer. I have some students that don't even have a phone. In order to be the ONLY option, EVERYONE would have to have the necessary tools.

If you are talking about it being an option, that's different, and probably if parents are willing to stay home and make sure their kids are actually doing their school time, it will be used more and more.

NEVER said only option but it should be an option.

Well, let's see, there's a teacher shortage in the country for one thing.
You don't think that's something worth mentioning ?

No, I don't see how a professional spends $459.00 (probably less than they spend at Starbucks) is relevant to anything.

174289-21898.png

I've never taught at a school with that kind of bucks or in a community that donated so much. Those are averages, remember.

I'm not a teacher. I'm just a maintenance guy. You are right though, what I see here is HERE, but in all the places I have ever lived getting school supplies has never been an issue. When I was a young parent the church by our house got folks (my self included) backpacks, supplies and uniforms. Like I said, it's more on the parents, and the kids when they get older. Never an excuse to not have what you need for school in this country. Lots of charity here.

NEVER said only option but it should be an option.
Just about every college and university and even training institution is offering on-line classes now. It's fantastic when you live in the back of nowhere, like I do. The reason it is not being done with K-12 so much yet is that it requires heavy parental buy-in and like I said before, most parents are working.

Forum List

Back