US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

While I understand the problem of teachers spending money on supplies, I spent almost $4000 on supplies for my job last year. Just sayin.

Was that for more training so you can get promoted or what? What is the nature of your job if you don't mind me asking?

We never get anything out of spending that money on our own supplies yearly for ourselves, except poorer. I mean in terms of our OWN gain.
Sorry, I meant that somewhat tongue in cheek. I have some very close friends who are teachers and my propensity for giving them a good natured ribbing slipped out.

Except that many schools are now filled with people off the street no where near teachers. Because the profession is completely demoralized. Rather like law enforcement.

But whatever, funny joke.

Perhaps there wouldn't be such a problem, Sue if our education system wasn't dominated by liberals. I got out of teaching almost 40 years ago because I couldn't stand the bullshit. It's gotten worse since then and you know I'm right! Why would a conservative choose teaching as a profession these days? I wouldn't...

Right. My fellow conservatives are very, very bad at long-term planning. We know this.

Also I'm more courageous than you.

So the two comments after your OP were "BS" and "teachers are crybaby losers". Ok. I my county there are almost 300 teacher openings. In some parts of the US there are even more. I just read an article about a woman teaching HS math and science on an "emergency certificate" for $15 an hour. She doesn't care what is taught and learned. She just wants to "love the kids".

I mean are we going to throw such a hissy fit for the ages about "government schools" that we do this? Well I guess we are.

My fellow conservatives can be disgusting sometimes, and also, terribly insulated.
-------------------------------- I also say BS but point out that so called highly educated teachers should be aware of the way that things are in the teaching perfession before they beg for jobs as teachers SSue92 .

perfession

enough said

Well, at least the school district here in Amarillo is trying to help. They just voted to give each teacher a 125.00 one time stipend to help with school supplies.

I knew a teacher here in Amarillo while I was in recruiting. She said that she usually ended up spending around 500 bucks of her own money each year to help buy stuff like sheet music and supplies (she was the music teacher).

Amarillo ISD approves $125 stipend for teachers to buy school supplies

AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — It is back to school time and parents are not the only ones spending money on supplies. Many teachers and other school employees spend their own money to buy things for their students, but employees in Amarillo ISD will soon be getting some help.

At last night’s AISD board meeting, the board voted unanimously to approve a one-time stipend to help cover some of those costs.

Each teacher, counselor, nurse, and librarian in AISD will be eligible for this one-time, $125 stipend to purchase student supplies.

So the two comments after your OP were "BS" and "teachers are crybaby losers". Ok. I my county there are almost 300 teacher openings. In some parts of the US there are even more. I just read an article about a woman teaching HS math and science on an "emergency certificate" for $15 an hour. She doesn't care what is taught and learned. She just wants to "love the kids".

I mean are we going to throw such a hissy fit for the ages about "government schools" that we do this? Well I guess we are.

My fellow conservatives can be disgusting sometimes, and also, terribly insulated.
-------------------------------- I also say BS but point out that so called highly educated teachers should be aware of the way that things are in the teaching perfession before they beg for jobs as teachers SSue92 .

perfession

enough said
------------------------------------ yep , teechers are another group that thinks they are 'special' but look at the dummies that their teeching perfession graduates from school . Its as I have noted in different threads . These young graduates that the teachers pass along as graduates can even not count change properly Sweet Sue .

While I understand the problem of teachers spending money on supplies, I spent almost $4000 on supplies for my job last year. Just sayin.

Was that for more training so you can get promoted or what? What is the nature of your job if you don't mind me asking?

We never get anything out of spending that money on our own supplies yearly for ourselves, except poorer. I mean in terms of our OWN gain.
Sorry, I meant that somewhat tongue in cheek. I have some very close friends who are teachers and my propensity for giving them a good natured ribbing slipped out.

Except that many schools are now filled with people off the street no where near teachers. Because the profession is completely demoralized. Rather like law enforcement.

But whatever, funny joke.

Perhaps there wouldn't be such a problem, Sue if our education system wasn't dominated by liberals. I got out of teaching almost 40 years ago because I couldn't stand the bullshit. It's gotten worse since then and you know I'm right! Why would a conservative choose teaching as a profession these days? I wouldn't...

Right. My fellow conservatives are very, very bad at long-term planning. We know this.

Also I'm more courageous than you.

Courage? Sorry, Sue but it took courage to walk away from the career I'd gone to school for and do something totally different and be successful at it.

And lets not forget teacher salaries are for 9 monthes of work....

Forgive me if
I dont believe everything leftwing mouthpieces put out.....

What's funny is how that 9 month BS has stuck around since teachers are usually working a minimum of 10 months and sometimes more.

If you do a 16 hour day, do you get overtime? Teacher's don't!

I am surprised we have not moved to an online model. Same class online for everyone no matter whether you live in a poor or a rich district. You may rewind, FF or pause, and ask questions of teachers and fellow students online. The brick and mortar schooling should be a thing of the past
Who's buying those poor kids a computer and wifi at home? Textbooks and materials? Who's going to make sure the kid is actually sitting there learning each day while the parent(s) are at work? We have an online alternative high school option here in Maine, but it is not something to just glibly jump into. It takes commitment by the student and the parents.

You don't need books. You're online. Who doesn't have WiFi? If you have cable you have WiFi. Instead of being negative why not look at the positive aspects?

Who doesn't have WiFi? Lots of people who live in rural areas.

It's been that way for many years. If your kid is in thepublic school system it's in your interest to help out and send in things. A lot of times teachers will send lists home of things they need help with. If you know you're gonna leave them in the public system you may as well chip in where you can.

Who's going to make sure the kid is actually sitting there learning each day while the parent(s) are at work?
How about live online cameras in every classroom so parents
can watch what their kids are doing in school on their phones ?

www.spyonyourkids.com

So you want kids acting out because they know people are watching their little TV drama?

I am surprised we have not moved to an online model. Same class online for everyone no matter whether you live in a poor or a rich district. You may rewind, FF or pause, and ask questions of teachers and fellow students online. The brick and mortar schooling should be a thing of the past
Who's buying those poor kids a computer and wifi at home? Textbooks and materials? Who's going to make sure the kid is actually sitting there learning each day while the parent(s) are at work? We have an online alternative high school option here in Maine, but it is not something to just glibly jump into. It takes commitment by the student and the parents.

You don't need books. You're online. Who doesn't have WiFi? If you have cable you have WiFi. Instead of being negative why not look at the positive aspects?
There are still quite a few folks that don't have the internet; internet is NOT free with basic cable service, you know. A lot have only a phone, not a computer. I have some students that don't even have a phone. In order to be the ONLY option, EVERYONE would have to have the necessary tools.

If you are talking about it being an option, that's different, and probably if parents are willing to stay home and make sure their kids are actually doing their school time, it will be used more and more.

NEVER said only option but it should be an option.
Just about every college and university and even training institution is offering on-line classes now. It's fantastic when you live in the back of nowhere, like I do. The reason it is not being done with K-12 so much yet is that it requires heavy parental buy-in and like I said before, most parents are working.

Yeah, Let's talk about those online classes that everyone is taking! Students who study online do not retain any information like they do in "live" classes. That's why schools like University of Phoenix gets you laughed at when you present your degree!

Awesome. I wonder how we brag about the greatest economy ever, with everyone working and shit, when we have to donate kids' pencils and backpacks? Are we sure things are so great?
No one was donating that kind of stuff when I went to school. If kids were that needy in some school districts, I'm sure the school supplied that stuff. That was when the economy was ACTUALLY cooking with gas.
Back when we manufactured our own pencils and backpacks ? Ironic isn't it that China now makes half our stuff and graduates the smartest children ? A complete paradigm shift in 100 years.
Do I want to suggest that maybe we should look at what they're doing right? Just look at it? See if there are ideas we can borrow, like valuing education instead of spending all our time tearing our schools apart, like these threads every day?

What the Chinese are doing right? They are choosing which kids get the education and which do not. You do not need much education to dig a ditch, but in this country our students are free to get themselves a basic education and then seek out their own opportunities.

I had graduate school classes with Chinese students who came to the US to study our education system. Obviously their system must not be so great if they are trying to copy our system. They were amazed by how much freedom of choice we give to our students.

You realize the working conditions in private schools can be worse

None that I've ever been associated with and their teachers certainly made more than in the public schools!

That would be an anomaly. With the exception of boarding schools for the elite, private school teachers do not generally come close to the pay of a public school teacher, and even that is paltry!

perfession

enough said
------------------------------------ yep , teechers are another group that thinks they are 'special' but look at the dummies that their teeching perfession graduates from school . Its as I have noted in different threads . These young graduates that the teachers pass along as graduates can even not count change properly Sweet Sue .

You really shouldn't call people dummies when you have spelled "teechers" and again "perfession" over and over again.

None that I've ever been associated with and their teachers certainly made more than in the public schools!

Okay but that would be an anomaly. Look in this thread--average base pay for public school teacher is over 50K; average base pay for private school teacher is 36K. And you wunderkinds think the "free market" is pulling the best teachers to the private schools? Sure. Sure it is.

There are still quite a few folks that don't have the internet; internet is NOT free with basic cable service, you know. A lot have only a phone, not a computer. I have some students that don't even have a phone. In order to be the ONLY option, EVERYONE would have to have the necessary tools.

If you are talking about it being an option, that's different, and probably if parents are willing to stay home and make sure their kids are actually doing their school time, it will be used more and more.

NEVER said only option but it should be an option.
Just about every college and university and even training institution is offering on-line classes now. It's fantastic when you live in the back of nowhere, like I do. The reason it is not being done with K-12 so much yet is that it requires heavy parental buy-in and like I said before, most parents are working.

Yeah, Let's talk about those online classes that everyone is taking! Students who study online do not retain any information like they do in "live" classes. That's why schools like University of Phoenix gets you laughed at when you present your degree!

Even Harvard had online classes. Stop it.

And lets not forget teacher salaries are for 9 monthes of work....

Forgive me if
I dont believe everything leftwing mouthpieces put out.....

What's funny is how that 9 month BS has stuck around since teachers are usually working a minimum of 10 months and sometimes more.

If you do a 16 hour day, do you get overtime? Teacher's don't!
No....I don't....it's alll straight time

perfession

enough said

You really shouldn't call people dummies when you have spelled "teechers" and again "perfession" over and over again.
----------------------------------------- I do some of my spelling as a form of disdain , disrespect and disgust for UNION and Public School 'teechers' . They are sorta like the lowest of the low on American societies ladder . Many times teechers think that are worth MO money but look at the messed up people that teechers produce SweetSue .

Okay but that would be an anomaly. Look in this thread--average base pay for public school teacher is over 50K; average base pay for private school teacher is 36K. And you wunderkinds think the "free market" is pulling the best teachers to the private schools? Sure. Sure it is.
--------------------------------- let the teechers go where the MONEY is if money is their main concern SweetSue .

Forum List

Back