US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

I heard that you just want to do that to help your communist lizard people take over the world. I'm on to you.
Ha. You couldn't be more wrong Huckleberry.
But then you haven't read my 9/11 posts probably.
Sure, the lizard people would deny it. And we all know it was you lizard people behind 9/11. You and your cthulhu worshipping accomplices.

I am surprised we have not moved to an online model. Same class online for everyone no matter whether you live in a poor or a rich district. You may rewind, FF or pause, and ask questions of teachers and fellow students online. The brick and mortar schooling should be a thing of the past

How are you going to do labs on an online model, even at the secondary schools. Build robotics. Etc.

Now imagine that in first grade.

For those you move to a smaller brick and mortar facility but other than that and sports you do it online.

So those brick and mortar facilities would host, what? Just the lab classes and hands-on classes? That's a LOT of overhead for very small impact. That's one monetary factor.

Another is: for kids under about 7th grade, you're in a "childcare" situation. Someone has to be HOME while those kids are doing online classes. Right? You can't leave a 3rd grader home alone all day to do his "online school" while mom....or mom and dad....works

There is a real teacher shortage here as well.
A lady that use to work here as a CSR, quit saying she got on at one of the Junior High schools... I figured an administrative office worker or something.
No. Teaching Social Studies. She has some teaching certificate from years ago, apparently 15 years ago she taught some night classes for a Community College.
She has exactly zero experience and no degree....

I have been in this business 25 years. Never seen anything like it. I live in a desirable teaching state in a good area. My county still has hundreds of openings just before school starts. Hundreds.

One thing that happened? Teaching families and teachers themselves discouraged students from going into it.

So there we are. Enjoy, America.
All the more reason why I steered my two kids into medical industry.
They both have VERY good jobs, fulfilling as hell and their field is an emerging doctorate.

Not if the Democrats pass universal healthcare
Not the field they are in.
They are both NICU respiratory therapist for a nationally known children's hospital. They have very secure jobs. In fact, getting qualified people is a problem. Only I think it was 1 in 15 can pass the masters and qualify to work in newborn at this facility.

Boston?
Not Boston.

I am surprised we have not moved to an online model. Same class online for everyone no matter whether you live in a poor or a rich district. You may rewind, FF or pause, and ask questions of teachers and fellow students online. The brick and mortar schooling should be a thing of the past

How are you going to do labs on an online model, even at the secondary schools. Build robotics. Etc.

For those you move to a smaller brick and mortar facility but other than that and sports you do it online.
Too many single parent homes or both parents work.

So those brick and mortar facilities would host, what? Just the lab classes and hands-on classes? That's a LOT of overhead for very small impact. That's one monetary factor.

Another is: for kids under about 7th grade, you're in a "childcare" situation. Someone has to be HOME while those kids are doing online classes. Right? You can't leave a 3rd grader home alone all day to do his "online school" while mom....or mom and dad....works

I am only talking HS not elementary or middle school

And lets not forget teacher salaries are for 9 monthes of work....
So the two comments after your OP were "BS" and "teachers are crybaby losers". Ok. I my county there are almost 300 teacher openings. In some parts of the US there are even more. I just read an article about a woman teaching HS math and science on an "emergency certificate" for $15 an hour. She doesn't care what is taught and learned. She just wants to "love the kids".

I mean are we going to throw such a hissy fit for the ages about "government schools" that we do this? Well I guess we are.

My fellow conservatives can be disgusting sometimes, and also, terribly insulated.
Forgive me if
I dont believe everything leftwing mouthpieces put out.....

So the two comments after your OP were "BS" and "teachers are crybaby losers". Ok. I my county there are almost 300 teacher openings. In some parts of the US there are even more. I just read an article about a woman teaching HS math and science on an "emergency certificate" for $15 an hour. She doesn't care what is taught and learned. She just wants to "love the kids".

I mean are we going to throw such a hissy fit for the ages about "government schools" that we do this? Well I guess we are.

My fellow conservatives can be disgusting sometimes, and also, terribly insulated.
Forgive me if

The market dictates salaries and benefits. Right, free market folks? Right now, the "9 months of work" is not worth it.

We have a problem. Too bad we're gonna soon have classrooms full of parolees cause they're the only people who will take the job. **shrug**

That would work for some high school classes, but only some. So then it begs the question: how much does it cost to maintain the "brick and mortar" schools if you're only running the classes we all agree require a lab, a live teacher, and human-to-human interaction--and how far are students willing to drive to get there?

Forgive me if
Common Dreams is a fairly left leaning site, this is true.

That would work for some high school classes, but only some. So then it begs the question: how much does it cost to maintain the "brick and mortar" schools if you're only running the classes we all agree require a lab, a live teacher, and human-to-human interaction--and how far are students willing to drive to get there?

A lot less than it does housing 1000 students.

Forgive me if

The market dictates salaries and benefits. Right, free market folks? Right now, the "9 months of work" is not worth it.

We have a problem. Too bad we're gonna soon have classrooms full of parolees cause they're the only people who will take the job. **shrug**
I was referring to your teachers spending story....but .if govt schools implode.....that wont be a bad thing. easier to get a raise if a crisis is always around the corner dont ya know.

Essentially subsidizing underfunded schools,teachers in the US spend an average of $459 on classroom supplies for which they are not reimbursed.

Subsidizing Underfunded Schools, US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

That being said, they have it relatively better than a lot of people in terms of benefits
and other public union advantages.

174289-21898.png

Teachers are creative types. To remedy this problem you have to give them pay specifically designated for this purpose. A bureaucrat even at the lowest level isn't going to know what the classroom could benefit from.

As a teacher who has done this, it is money well spent. Students love to be loved by their teacher. There are very few teachers that are union monsters whining about this nonsense.

Essentially subsidizing underfunded schools,teachers in the US spend an average of $459 on classroom supplies for which they are not reimbursed.

Subsidizing Underfunded Schools, US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

That being said, they have it relatively better than a lot of people in terms of benefits

174289-21898.png

Then they are stupid. At my district, one week before school starts in the elementary schools the teachers receive school supply packs. One per kid. What ever is left over go's up for when it's needed. Almost every church around here gives school supplies away, as well as back packs for the kids. Then you have the kids who have responsible parents who buy all the supplies on the list, the teacher keeps those to. So bullshit. Those kids have what they need.

Who's buying those poor kids a computer and wifi at home? Textbooks and materials? Who's going to make sure the kid is actually sitting there learning each day while the parent(s) are at work? We have an online alternative high school option here in Maine, but it is not something to just glibly jump into. It takes commitment by the student and the parents.

174289-21898.png

Then they are stupid. At my district, one week before school starts in the elementary schools the teachers receive school supply packs. One per kid. What ever is left over go's up for when it's needed. Almost every church around here gives school supplies away, as well as back packs for the kids. Then you have the kids who have responsible parents who buy all the supplies on the list, the teacher keeps those to. So bullshit. Those kids have what they need.
It can add up over the year when you want to do something fun or different. Buying Hershey's Kisses for a math class or buying craft board to make a big wall poster or order something particularly helpful online. Throwing a pizza party to thank a really hard working class. Teachers do that stuff. It's not so much about buying pencils and pens.

Forum List

Back