US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

So the two comments after your OP were "BS" and "teachers are crybaby losers". Ok. I my county there are almost 300 teacher openings. In some parts of the US there are even more. I just read an article about a woman teaching HS math and science on an "emergency certificate" for $15 an hour. She doesn't care what is taught and learned. She just wants to "love the kids".

I mean are we going to throw such a hissy fit for the ages about "government schools" that we do this? Well I guess we are.

My fellow conservatives can be disgusting sometimes, and also, terribly insulated.
For the record my company has been dropping pallets of school supplies all over the city. That is in addition to what parents are told to purchase for their kids which in fact is an oversupply in itself as there is no way any one child could use what is purchased by themselves.

Show me a child's school supply and explain why they wouldn't use it.

or are you just making stuff up.
I had kids in school so I know first hand. They wouldn't use it all because it would be impossible the bounty parents are asked to provide and just hand over to the teachers. Yeah ya dont buy enough and replace as needed nooooo everything must be delivered into the hand of the teacher.

Okay, so you had a few kids in a few schools in one tiny area of the nation = that's how it is for everyone.

Great reasoning there, Kemosabe

America doesn't value education. Large swaths of this country think that teachers are evil communists.

Broad brush statement.

Here's one for a fellow conservative:

Average base public school pay: $49 ish
Average base private school pay: $36 ish

But somehow, yeah magically, all the BEST teachers are in the private schools.

Sure they are, yep. Nevermind those free market principles....

ETA: Private School Teacher Pay Scale
2010 article?

There is a real teacher shortage here as well.
A lady that use to work here as a CSR, quit saying she got on at one of the Junior High schools... I figured an administrative office worker or something.
No. Teaching Social Studies. She has some teaching certificate from years ago, apparently 15 years ago she taught some night classes for a Community College.
She has exactly zero experience and no degree....

I have been in this business 25 years. Never seen anything like it. I live in a desirable teaching state in a good area. My county still has hundreds of openings just before school starts. Hundreds.

One thing that happened? Teaching families and teachers themselves discouraged students from going into it.

So there we are. Enjoy, America.

I am surprised we have not moved to an online model. Same class online for everyone no matter whether you live in a poor or a rich district. You may rewind, FF or pause, and ask questions of teachers and fellow students online. The brick and mortar schooling should be a thing of the past

While I understand the problem of teachers spending money on supplies, I spent almost $4000 on supplies for my job last year. Just sayin.

Was that for more training so you can get promoted or what? What is the nature of your job if you don't mind me asking?

We never get anything out of spending that money on our own supplies yearly for ourselves, except poorer. I mean in terms of our OWN gain.
Sorry, I meant that somewhat tongue in cheek. I have some very close friends who are teachers and my propensity for giving them a good natured ribbing slipped out.

Except that many schools are now filled with people off the street no where near teachers. Because the profession is completely demoralized. Rather like law enforcement.

But whatever, funny joke.
According to my friends who are teachers, they are demoralized because they can't teach and worry about being assaulted. Schools have become asylums run by the inmates. Add in the intrusions by the fed govt and they say they don't feel like teachers anymore. More like part time warden/babysitters.

So the two comments after your OP were "BS" and "teachers are crybaby losers". Ok. I my county there are almost 300 teacher openings. In some parts of the US there are even more. I just read an article about a woman teaching HS math and science on an "emergency certificate" for $15 an hour. She doesn't care what is taught and learned. She just wants to "love the kids".

I mean are we going to throw such a hissy fit for the ages about "government schools" that we do this? Well I guess we are.

My fellow conservatives can be disgusting sometimes, and also, terribly insulated.
For the record my company has been dropping pallets of school supplies all over the city. That is in addition to what parents are told to purchase for their kids which in fact is an oversupply in itself as there is no way any one child could use what is purchased by themselves.

Show me a child's school supply and explain why they wouldn't use it.

or are you just making stuff up.
I had kids in school so I know first hand. They wouldn't use it all because it would be impossible the bounty parents are asked to provide and just hand over to the teachers. Yeah ya dont buy enough and replace as needed nooooo everything must be delivered into the hand of the teacher.

Okay, so you had a few kids in a few schools in one tiny area of the nation = that's how it is for everyone.

Great reasoning there, Kemosabe
yeah ...bet those pallets of the stuff go nationwide too,,,,,oooops…… major metro by the way......cant help your fairy tale isn't true

America doesn't value education. Large swaths of this country think that teachers are evil communists.

Broad brush statement.

Here's one for a fellow conservative:

Average base public school pay: $49 ish
Average base private school pay: $36 ish

But somehow, yeah magically, all the BEST teachers are in the private schools.

Sure they are, yep. Nevermind those free market principles....

ETA: Private School Teacher Pay Scale
2010 article?

It's worse. For private school teachers.

Average pay private school: $35,600 Private School Teacher Salary | PayScale

Average elem. school teacher pay: $57,100 What Is the Average Teacher's Salary in the U.S. in 2019?

A lady that use to work here as a CSR, quit saying she got on at one of the Junior High schools... I figured an administrative office worker or something.
No. Teaching Social Studies. She has some teaching certificate from years ago, apparently 15 years ago she taught some night classes for a Community College.

I have been in this business 25 years. Never seen anything like it. I live in a desirable teaching state in a good area. My county still has hundreds of openings just before school starts. Hundreds.

One thing that happened? Teaching families and teachers themselves discouraged students from going into it.

All the more reason why I steered my two kids into medical industry.
They both have VERY good jobs, fulfilling as hell and their field is an emerging doctorate.

While I understand the problem of teachers spending money on supplies, I spent almost $4000 on supplies for my job last year. Just sayin.

Was that for more training so you can get promoted or what? What is the nature of your job if you don't mind me asking?

We never get anything out of spending that money on our own supplies yearly for ourselves, except poorer. I mean in terms of our OWN gain.
Sorry, I meant that somewhat tongue in cheek. I have some very close friends who are teachers and my propensity for giving them a good natured ribbing slipped out.

Except that many schools are now filled with people off the street no where near teachers. Because the profession is completely demoralized. Rather like law enforcement.

According to my friends who are teachers, they are demoralized because they can't teach and worry about being assaulted. Schools have become asylums run by the inmates. Add in the intrusions by the fed govt and they say they don't feel like teachers anymore. More like part time warden/babysitters.

Oh I agree with this. Physical assaults against teachers are a real problem. But the culture says you can't complain about it. The only profession I know of where you get hurt at work and YOU are asked, "What did you do to make this happen"....and nothing is done except you are blamed.

It just adds to the overall destruction of the profession and the schools

They both have VERY good jobs, fulfilling as hell and their field is an emerging doctorate.

Not if the Democrats pass universal healthcare

I am surprised we have not moved to an online model. Same class online for everyone no matter whether you live in a poor or a rich district. You may rewind, FF or pause, and ask questions of teachers and fellow students online. The brick and mortar schooling should be a thing of the past

How are you going to do labs on an online model, even at the secondary schools. Build robotics. Etc.

Now imagine that in first grade.

Oh I agree with this. Physical assaults against teachers are a real problem. But the culture says you can't complain about it. The only profession I know of where you get hurt at work and YOU are asked, "What did you do to make this happen"....and nothing is done except you are blamed.

I'm curious as to your opinions on standardization efforts. Things like common core or whatever Bush's thing was, no child left behind, I think. I hear a lot of complaints that such issues destroy any creativity and as one friends says "bore children to tears".

I'm curious as to your opinions on standardization efforts. Things like common core or whatever Bush's thing was, no child left behind, I think. I hear a lot of complaints that such issues destroy any creativity and as one friends says "bore children to tears".

Schools and teaching must be accountable for learning. That's first.

Standardized testing is about the worst way to go about that en masse. It's most useful for real estate agents and politicians, and downright destructive to many others. Like children. I'm a teacher and when my children's test scores came from The State we didn't even open them. We threw them right in the trash can. Other than for real estate agents and politicians, they're meaningless.

Schools and teaching must be accountable for learning. That's first.

Standardized testing is about the worst way to go about that en masse. It's most useful for real estate agents and politicians, and downright destructive to many others. Like children. I'm a teacher and when my children's test scores came from The State we didn't even open them. We threw them right in the trash can. Other than for real estate agents and politicians, they're meaningless.
I agree on the testing. I was more interested in what my friends describe as almost micromanagement of the curriculum.

Not the field they are in.
They are both NICU respiratory therapist for a nationally known children's hospital. They have very secure jobs. In fact, getting qualified people is a problem. Only I think it was 1 in 15 can pass the masters and qualify to work in newborn at this facility.

How are you going to do labs on an online model, even at the secondary schools. Build robotics. Etc.

Now imagine that in first grade.

For those you move to a smaller brick and mortar facility but other than that and sports you do it online.

Not the field they are in.
They are both NICU respiratory therapist for a nationally known children's hospital. They have very secure jobs. In fact, getting qualified people is a problem. Only I think it was 1 in 15 can pass the masters and qualify to work in newborn at this facility.

Boston?

Forum List

Back