US Seeks To Imprison Single Mother

Should we have let her stay while her ENTIRE UNIT goes over seas to risk their LIVES!!! Should we fly her in a G-5 Lear jet to "catch up" with her unit!!!??? Maybe serve her caviar and champagne?

The hyperbolic response is an attempt to not address what I suggested. If she had failed to make any arrangements I'd be inclined towards a stiffer response but given that she did make plans and the fact she informed her COC they fell through it is reasonable to find a compromise instead acting with a Death Star philosophy.
Death Star philosophy?

She did fail to make arrangements, otherwise she would not have missed the troop movement. The military's response is reasonable. What sentence she gets will be a matter for debate.

No. Failing to make arrangements would mean she never arranged a caregiver for her son. She did make the arrangements and through no fault of her own they fell through.

But would they have? Are there any documented cases where this has actually happened?

-TSO

When she told her COC the situation they said she would still deploy and her kid would be placed in foster care. I've already documented the fact the Military already uses foster care. Can I say that is what would have happened for 100%? Obviously no. However, I'm confident there is a very good chance it would have happened and if this was like deployments I've been on her Unit would have been ordered to show up at the staging area and stayed there for 2-4 days before actually boarding the aircraft. So, she would still be on the ground when her Unit made arrangements for foster care.

Seeing your complete ignorance of military operations and regulations... why do I highly doubt that you were ever 'on deployment'...?? I generally do not doubt a person's claim on here to military service, but I CERTAINLY doubt your claim on this

.......and you are? The reason I ask is because I don't care if you believe me or not. Why should I?

Should we have let her stay while her ENTIRE UNIT goes over seas to risk their LIVES!!! Should we fly her in a G-5 Lear jet to "catch up" with her unit!!!??? Maybe serve her caviar and champagne?

The hyperbolic response is an attempt to not address what I suggested. If she had failed to make any arrangements I'd be inclined towards a stiffer response but given that she did make plans and the fact she informed her COC they fell through it is reasonable to find a compromise instead acting with a Death Star philosophy.

SO WHAT!!! Did she inform her supreiors that she was having UNPROTECTED SEX!!!??? She does not DESERVE ANYTHING!!! She signed up for the military she CHOSE to do so and she therefore took on ALL the responsibilities of her CHOICE!!! Once again don't you find it ODD that her mother suddenley backed out of caring for her OWN grandson!? Oh and by the way she DID fail to make arangments, if her mother is so UNDEPENDABLE then she should have made OTHER arangments.

Last edited:

She DID NOT follow regulations to have current and viable arrangements as well as current and viable backup arrangements.. this was HER responsibility, not the military's... she is in violation of her responsibilities, and as a result is in violation of her orders

get it right

Death Star philosophy?

She did fail to make arrangements, otherwise she would not have missed the troop movement. The military's response is reasonable. What sentence she gets will be a matter for debate.

No. Failing to make arrangements would mean she never arranged a caregiver for her son. She did make the arrangements and through no fault of her own they fell through.

And I will bet you anything if it had been made known to the military that her back up plan was her mother who already cared part time for 14 people and full time for 3 disabled adults -- the military would not have accepted her family care plan. But somewhere it seems that this soldier knowing Mom cared for so many would not be able to do the job. I would have never put my mother in that situation. I would have been discharged or I would have found someone I could have relyed on. She had near two years to do such not mere months-- as the military makes you fill out a FCP as soon as you know you are pregnant.

CaféAuLait;1903035 said:
But would they have? Are there any documented cases where this has actually happened?

-TSO

When she told her COC the situation they said she would still deploy and her kid would be placed in foster care. I've already documented the fact the Military already uses foster care. Can I say that is what would have happened for 100%? Obviously no. However, I'm confident there is a very good chance it would have happened and if this was like deployments I've been on her Unit would have been ordered to show up at the staging area and stayed there for 2-4 days before actually boarding the aircraft. So, she would still be on the ground when her Unit made arrangements for foster care.

Her mother had to sign the FCP as well as her daughter. Read here:

What About the Children? (Page 2)

From your article:

Hughes [her mother] said she's already taking care of her ailing mother and sister, as well as a daughter with special needs. She also runs a daycare center at her home, keeping about 14 children during the day.

Read more: Army charges single mom who refused deployment

Are you telling me it does not seem suspicious to you that her Mom can care for 14 other children a day but not her grandson, one she signed on the dotted line to do? Why can't she drop one or two of the 14 other children she cares for to care for her grandson? Not to mention this soldier was already granted an extension last year to find care. Where is the boy’s father too?

The Rag Blog: A Morally Bankrupt Military : Spc. Alexis Hutchinson and Pvt. Paul Rich

Adding we are only hearing this soldiers side. There are always two sides.

If GrandMom had so much going on caring for 17 people as she states in your article then she should not have signed the FCP and her daughter should have been discharged in '08 when she got pregnant. Or daughter should have asked someone else.

The reason the plan fell through is irrelevant. For whatever reason, her mother returned the child to her after keeping him for two weeks. When this happened she informed her COC and all she asked was more time to find a replacement. She was not permanently refusing deployment. She was refusing to leave her son with strangers and would have deployed when she found a replacement. Under the circumstances that seemed reasonable.

She joined in 2007, the child is under a year old, so her situation changed. I'm all for moms staying with their kids, but she needs to get discharged if she can no longer keep her agreement and stop being paid for services she's not willing to render.

I'm not sure if she can do that? but it should be the goal and if not, she's got to follow through on her commitments until her term is up. It's why many hesitate to join, it's a commitment that's hard to get out of.

But accepting the benefits and then denying her part is just not right. And the military is in a tough situation too, if they go easy on her, then all women will consider getting pregnant if they want out of the military.

One more reason why women do NOT belong in the military, especially combat.

CaféAuLait;1903035 said:

From your article:

Hughes [her mother] said she's already taking care of her ailing mother and sister, as well as a daughter with special needs. She also runs a daycare center at her home, keeping about 14 children during the day.

Are you telling me it does not seem suspicious to you that her Mom can care for 14 other children a day but not her grandson, one she signed on the dotted line to do? Why can't she drop one or two of the 14 other children she cares for to care for her grandson? Not to mention this soldier was already granted an extension last year to find care. Where is the boy’s father too?

The Rag Blog: A Morally Bankrupt Military : Spc. Alexis Hutchinson and Pvt. Paul Rich

If GrandMom had so much going on caring for 17 people as she states in your article then she should not have signed the FCP and her daughter should have been discharged in '08 when she got pregnant. Or daughter should have asked someone else.

The reason the plan fell through is irrelevant. For whatever reason, her mother returned the child to her after keeping him for two weeks. When this happened she informed her COC and all she asked was more time to find a replacement. She was not permanently refusing deployment. She was refusing to leave her son with strangers and would have deployed when she found a replacement. Under the circumstances that seemed reasonable.

Otherwise stating that she did not live up to her requirements and that she is ordering the military what she is going to do, where she is going to go, and it depends on her subjectivity

:rolleyes:

You have no leg to stand on with your absurd stance

Yeah, guess you're right. Send the selfish bitch to jail and bounce her kid around some foster homes while he waits for his mother to get released. Oh, and let's also charge her to help pay for the foster care, re-pay any benefits, and if her child is given any money for a birthday or any other reason they should confiscate that as well.

I didn't say that. I also don't know if there's any method by which one can ask to opt out of military service based on pregnancy after a certain amount of time. I'm pretty sure that if she'd offered to pay them back the money they spent on her, she would have been honorably discharged.

No offense but did you notice that she has a mother who is refusing to take care of her child?

we're not talking rocket scientists here

And if you do not use it when ordered to deploy, or order to serve duty in a place where you are not allowed to take children, you are in violation of orders... punishable by little things including being put behind bars

She couldn't use it because the person back out at the last minute.

And that excuse has been used more than once.. the requirement is to have a current and viable plan for any deployment.. that is the responsibility of the soldier parent... I had to have it, my ex-wife had to as well.. and it could not just be the other one of us, as we could both be deployed... and we had to keep it continually updated

But nice try

hmmm, if that excuse has been used more than once.... then where are ALL THE OTHER COURT MARSHALS Dave?

you may know the military dave, as you claim, but based on your posts on this thread, you CLEARLY did not read the article and are responding out of mere emotion imho....

Sounds like just another idiot having children with no thought as to what to do with them. Gee. I'm in the Army and I have to deploy???? Who'd a thunk that?

Enough already. Discharge her ass and be done with her.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;1903035 said:

From your article:

She was given an extension once already to find care.

Mom chooses son over service - CNN.com

she should receive equal treatment as all others with her precise circumstance, not be treated differently....but the same.

where are all the others serving time?

Would this have been an issue to you CurveLight if it had been a single dad who missed a troop movement because he had failed to adequately provide for his children?

The biological relationship to the child is irrelevant. If the soldier was a primary caregiver (be it Godfather, uncle, cousin, etc) the principle is still supreme. There is nothing so urgent that National Security would be threatened by giving her more time. The military is not consistent with this as we already know of a situation where a mother on IRR was ordered for deployment but refused on the grounds her husband traveled too much to leave her two kids with him. The Army never charged her and let her go home.

I suspect someone will try to say it s not the same thing because of the IRR recall. That's only a distraction. The IRR is a duty bound role no less binding than those on active duty.

Seems like the Army was a great deal when all she had to do was show up. Now, not so much.

beg your pardon? Are you saying that people go into the military because we cannot get work elsewhere? That we are unqualified for jobs elsewhere?

Sure, just ask John Kerry!

Forum List

Back