US Seeks To Imprison Single Mother

I'm with Jillian. There are ways NOT to get pregnant, and someone who is NOT MARRIED, and in the service should not be having babies. Pretty simple stuff. There are consequences for irresponsible behavior and she's going to have to live with them.

They could have very easily ordered her to deploy even if she showed up with her child. You know that.

But would they have? Are there any documented cases where this has actually happened?

-TSO

When she told her COC the situation they said she would still deploy and her kid would be placed in foster care. I've already documented the fact the Military already uses foster care. Can I say that is what would have happened for 100%? Obviously no. However, I'm confident there is a very good chance it would have happened and if this was like deployments I've been on her Unit would have been ordered to show up at the staging area and stayed there for 2-4 days before actually boarding the aircraft. So, she would still be on the ground when her Unit made arrangements for foster care.

Seeing your complete ignorance of military operations and regulations... why do I highly doubt that you were ever 'on deployment'...?? I generally do not doubt a person's claim on here to military service, but I CERTAINLY doubt your claim on this

Here is what I would do. Coordinate with local foster agencies and let her interview possible caregivers for her son. Give her 45 days. If she failed to comply give her a General discharge that would turn Honorable in six months. Imao, that would be a good compromise.

Should the US prosecute a single mother who won't leave her newborn?

she volunteered. she was not drafted. she took all benefits of military service... money, education, opportunity.

maybe she should have waited to get pregnant?

Yeah, guess you're right. Send the selfish bitch to jail and bounce her kid around some foster homes while he waits for his mother to get released. Oh, and let's also charge her to help pay for the foster care, re-pay any benefits, and if her child is given any money for a birthday or any other reason they should confiscate that as well.

What SHOULD we do REWARD her conduct!!!???

They could have very easily ordered her to deploy even if she showed up with her child. You know that.

But would they have? Are there any documented cases where this has actually happened?

-TSO

The military tries to help where possible to take care of their own WHEN YOU PLAY BY THE RULES.. this woman did not play by the rules....

Oh please. Even the military doesn't play by the rules as much as you are pretending here. When she knew of the problem she informed her superiors. Don't act like she tried to pull a fast one. Or you could continue to impress the hell out of me by using the rep button to call someone a moron because you need to compensate for your lack of communication abilities.

she volunteered. she was not drafted. she took all benefits of military service... money, education, opportunity.

maybe she should have waited to get pregnant?

Yeah, guess you're right. Send the selfish bitch to jail and bounce her kid around some foster homes while he waits for his mother to get released. Oh, and let's also charge her to help pay for the foster care, re-pay any benefits, and if her child is given any money for a birthday or any other reason they should confiscate that as well.

Look at the post above yours.

Here is what I would do. Coordinate with local foster agencies and let her interview possible caregivers for her son. Give her 45 days. If she failed to comply give her a General discharge that would turn Honorable in six months. Imao, that would be a good compromise.

Why should she get an HONERABLE discharge for BREAKING THE RULES!!!???

Look at the post above yours.

Should we REWARD her!!!???

-TSO

The military tries to help where possible to take care of their own WHEN YOU PLAY BY THE RULES.. this woman did not play by the rules....

Oh please. Even the military doesn't play by the rules as much as you are pretending here. When she knew of the problem she informed her superiors. Don't act like she tried to pull a fast one. Or you could continue to impress the hell out of me by using the rep button to call someone a moron because you need to compensate for your lack of communication abilities.

Again... it is not the military's job.. it is HER job to make those arrangements and to keep them current and VIABLE.... she is indeed in violation of UCMJ

How is THIS for communication ability - YOU ARE A PHONY, A LIAR, AND IGNORANT TO HOW THE MILITARY RUNS

I am so sick of the "poor single mother" song. Any woman who chooses to have an out of wedlock birth will suffer some kind of consequence. Why is that so hard to accept? Why are they made out to be some kind of martyrs? Anyone can do it. Even squirrels.

-TSO

When she told her COC the situation they said she would still deploy and her kid would be placed in foster care. I've already documented the fact the Military already uses foster care. Can I say that is what would have happened for 100%? Obviously no. However, I'm confident there is a very good chance it would have happened and if this was like deployments I've been on her Unit would have been ordered to show up at the staging area and stayed there for 2-4 days before actually boarding the aircraft. So, she would still be on the ground when her Unit made arrangements for foster care.

Her mother had to sign the FCP as well as her daughter. Read here:

What About the Children? (Page 2)

From your article:

Hughes [her mother] said she's already taking care of her ailing mother and sister, as well as a daughter with special needs. She also runs a daycare center at her home, keeping about 14 children during the day.

Read more: Army charges single mom who refused deployment

Are you telling me it does not seem suspicious to you that her Mom can care for 14 other children a day but not her grandson, one she signed on the dotted line to do? Why can't she drop one or two of the 14 other children she cares for to care for her grandson? Not to mention this soldier was already granted an extension last year to find care. Where is the boy’s father too?

The Rag Blog: A Morally Bankrupt Military : Spc. Alexis Hutchinson and Pvt. Paul Rich

Adding we are only hearing this soldiers side. There are always two sides.

If GrandMom had so much going on caring for 17 people as she states in your article then she should not have signed the FCP and her daughter should have been discharged in '08 when she got pregnant. Or daughter should have asked someone else.

Would this have been an issue to you CurveLight if it had been a single dad who missed a troop movement because he had failed to adequately provide for his children?

You have YET to explain why this INDIVIDUAL deserves SPECIAL treatment. Because she has a BABY big freakin deal as I said before I am SURE there are plenty of MALE service members who don't want to leave their BABIES behind why do THEY have to go because they are MEN!!!??? Nice double standard there. I bet there are even some men who have babies and the mother is dead or just MIA like the father of this particular child. Why should THEY have to go over seas with their units?

The Army is a fighting force. It is not designed to solve the social ills of America; nor should it be. Its purpose is to engage the enemy and defeat them. For every soldier that fails to deploy, another soldier is called up or the deployed unit must make do with one less person. Will everyone be so quick to cover the heartbreaking story of the soldier unexpectedly deployed to replace the one that failed to maintain a state of personal readiness and could not perform their assigned duty as a result? What if SPC Hutchinson's replacement turned out to be another single mom?

Is the coverage of Army SPC Alexis Hutchinson fair and balanced? (video)

Should we have let her stay while her ENTIRE UNIT goes over seas to risk their LIVES!!! Should we fly her in a G-5 Lear jet to "catch up" with her unit!!!??? Maybe serve her caviar and champagne?

The hyperbolic response is an attempt to not address what I suggested. If she had failed to make any arrangements I'd be inclined towards a stiffer response but given that she did make plans and the fact she informed her COC they fell through it is reasonable to find a compromise instead acting with a Death Star philosophy.

Should we have let her stay while her ENTIRE UNIT goes over seas to risk their LIVES!!! Should we fly her in a G-5 Lear jet to "catch up" with her unit!!!??? Maybe serve her caviar and champagne?

The hyperbolic response is an attempt to not address what I suggested. If she had failed to make any arrangements I'd be inclined towards a stiffer response but given that she did make plans and the fact she informed her COC they fell through it is reasonable to find a compromise instead acting with a Death Star philosophy.
Death Star philosophy?

She did fail to make arrangements, otherwise she would not have missed the troop movement. The military's response is reasonable. What sentence she gets will be a matter for debate.

CaféAuLait;1903049 said:
The Army is a fighting force. It is not designed to solve the social ills of America; nor should it be. Its purpose is to engage the enemy and defeat them. For every soldier that fails to deploy, another soldier is called up or the deployed unit must make do with one less person. Will everyone be so quick to cover the heartbreaking story of the soldier unexpectedly deployed to replace the one that failed to maintain a state of personal readiness and could not perform their assigned duty as a result? What if SPC Hutchinson's replacement turned out to be another single mom?

Is the coverage of Army SPC Alexis Hutchinson fair and balanced? (video)

All I got out of that op-ed was bitching about the missing father.

Forum List

Back