US Seeks To Imprison Single Mother

She would have been forced on the plane and her child would have been placed in foster care, as her Unit commanders told her that. Please try to get informed before making such a demonstrably false comment.

So it is your belief (and hers) that she would have shown up for duty with her child. The child would have been taken from her, placed into foster care and then she would have been placed on the aircraft at gun point?

Really?

-TSO

If she refused she would have been arrested for refusing to deploy. Either way, the claim that she should have shown up with her son and she would not have been forced to deploy, or arrested, is a bit odd. You say she was stupid for not showing up to deploy with her child.

Well, if it was true that she had nobody to watch her child, there would be no other choice if she wanted to actually not get into the trouble that she is in. You show up to the rally point with child in tow and state your case there, not call in and say "I can't make it".

-TSO

And if you do not use it when ordered to deploy, or order to serve duty in a place where you are not allowed to take children, you are in violation of orders... punishable by little things including being put behind bars

She couldn't use it because the person back out at the last minute.

And that excuse has been used more than once.. the requirement is to have a current and viable plan for any deployment.. that is the responsibility of the soldier parent... I had to have it, my ex-wife had to as well.. and it could not just be the other one of us, as we could both be deployed... and we had to keep it continually updated

But nice try

What "nice try?"

Her arrangement for her offspring is inadequate. No only is she to provide plans for the care of her child if she is deployed, she is required to have multiple backups should one of her options fail to live up to their agreement.

It is not the responsibility of the military to ensure that she has adequate planning for the care of her offspring. In the military, everyone is a grown up and expected to act accordingly.

She is in violation of a number of regulations under the UCMJ. The least of which is missing a troop movement.

The most serious one is child endangerment. She has failed to provide for her offspring leaving the child to basically take a chance with whomever is willing to take on the care of this child.

She should face a courts martial.

Likely she will receive an administrative discharge under less then honorable circumstances.

When the womens right movement were lobbying for inclusion into the military, one of their arguments was that child care and child bearing would have no impact upon their performance as military members.

If you want to play, you have to play by the rules.

Last edited:
So it is your belief (and hers) that she would have shown up for duty with her child. The child would have been taken from her, placed into foster care and then she would have been placed on the aircraft at gun point?

Really?

-TSO

If she refused she would have been arrested for refusing to deploy. Either way, the claim that she should have shown up with her son and she would not have been forced to deploy, or arrested, is a bit odd. You say she was stupid for not showing up to deploy with her child.

Well, if it was true that she had nobody to watch her child, there would be no other choice if she wanted to actually not get into the trouble that she is in. You show up to the rally point with child in tow and state your case there, not call in and say "I can't make it".

-TSO

Even if she showed up but refused deployment she would still be charged with the same thing. So what would have been the benefit of showing up?

I do agree with it. She just didn't show up. As the Army rep said, "the Army would not deploy a single parent with no one to care for her child". She should have shown up at the time she was required to. She would not have been forced onto the aircraft, but "she was afraid". No, she was stupid.

She should be court martialed. She shouldn't serve any time in prison, but she should be kicked out of the service.

-TSO

And she should be required to refund any $s spent on education etc by the US taxpayer. She has not fulfilled her contract.

The military booting her for this wouldn't exactly fall into the Palin category of fulfilling one's duties but I'm not surprised by the sociopathic reactions.

So ANY woman who doesn't want to deploy can just get pregnant? What makes her so differant than THOUSANDS of other families. I am pretty sure a brand new FATHER doesn't want to be deployed but HE doesn't get a choice does HE!?

And she should be required to refund any $s spent on education etc by the US taxpayer. She has not fulfilled her contract.

The military booting her for this wouldn't exactly fall into the Palin category of fulfilling one's duties but I'm not surprised by the sociopathic reactions.

So ANY woman who doesn't want to deploy can just get pregnant? What makes her so differant than THOUSANDS of other families. I am pretty sure a brand new FATHER doesn't want to be deployed but HE doesn't get a choice does HE!?

Now you're trying to make it sound like she got pregnant just to avoid deployment. There isn't evidence of that.

She wouldn't have been AWOL.

-TSO

Yes she still would have been charged with being AWOL. You can be on a military base and still be AWOL. Especially of you don't deploy. If she didn't go with her Unit please explain how she would NOT have been AWOL?

Now you're trying to make it sound like she got pregnant just to avoid deployment. There isn't evidence of that.

No just a LOT of coincedences. Her OWN MOTHER suddenly REFUSED to care for her OWN GRANDCHILD!!??

I wouldn't go that far.

-TSO

I would.

The military doesn't do that in the first place, so it's really a moot point. That being said, I do think she should be kicked out, but not with a dishonorable...maybe an other than honorable imo.

-TSO

OTH discharge is the most severe form of administrative discharge. A dishonorable discharge can only be handed down via a court martial. Perhaps a General discharge would be the appropriate action.

No just a LOT of coincedences. Her OWN MOTHER suddenly REFUSED to care for her OWN GRANDCHILD!!??

Lol. Okay, thanks for your input.

1) the kid was 10 months old at the time of deployment.
2) the parent of a small child is obliged to have on file with the military authorities a plan for child care in the even of deployments. This woman did have a plan, but the person who was supposed to take care of the kid backed out at the last minute. Poor planning on her part should not be a problem for other folks.

I think she should have had a better plan for childcare, like she was supposed to.

The army did giver her another option (Foster care) which she refused.

She had a care plan and you can't really blame her for her mother backing out at the last minute. The Army requires a care plan for single parents before they are assigned to a deployable so it appears her Unit accepted her care plan. This was not a case if neglect or shady business so it's rather disturbing to see the military react with a court martial. However, this is progress from imprisoning and torturing Americans (some died) for refusing deployment. I'm also guessing the media play with have an effect. She will probably get a General Discharge that will become an Honorable one within 6-12 months.

She REFUSED to show up for deployment. If she had shown up with her child to the deployment they would not have deployed her.

She missed a movement and after the fact claimed her child was the reason. She had options that she did not use.

1) the kid was 10 months old at the time of deployment.
2) the parent of a small child is obliged to have on file with the military authorities a plan for child care in the even of deployments. This woman did have a plan, but the person who was supposed to take care of the kid backed out at the last minute. Poor planning on her part should not be a problem for other folks.

I think she should have had a better plan for childcare, like she was supposed to.

The army did giver her another option (Foster care) which she refused.

She had a care plan and you can't really blame her for her mother backing out at the last minute. The Army requires a care plan for single parents before they are assigned to a deployable so it appears her Unit accepted her care plan. This was not a case if neglect or shady business so it's rather disturbing to see the military react with a court martial. However, this is progress from imprisoning and torturing Americans (some died) for refusing deployment. I'm also guessing the media play with have an effect. She will probably get a General Discharge that will become an Honorable one within 6-12 months.

She REFUSED to show up for deployment. If she had shown up with her child to the deployment they would not have deployed her.

She missed a movement and after the fact claimed her child was the reason. She had options that she did not use.

They could have very easily ordered her to deploy even if she showed up with her child. You know that. If she refused they would have arrested her. You know that as well. Since she already informed her superiors of the situation prior to deployment I'm guessing they had something lined up to handle care for her child. You people act like she did not do her part at all. As soon as she knew her plan had fallen through she told her Superiors. It's not like she simply didn't show up. When she missed formation I guarantee not one person in her COC was surprised or had to ask why.

And just why is this item news?

Should the US prosecute a single mother who won't leave her newborn?

she volunteered. she was not drafted. she took all benefits of military service... money, education, opportunity.

maybe she should have waited to get pregnant?

Yeah, guess you're right. Send the selfish bitch to jail and bounce her kid around some foster homes while he waits for his mother to get released. Oh, and let's also charge her to help pay for the foster care, re-pay any benefits, and if her child is given any money for a birthday or any other reason they should confiscate that as well.

Last edited:
They could have very easily ordered her to deploy even if she showed up with her child. You know that.

But would they have? Are there any documented cases where this has actually happened?

-TSO

When she told her COC the situation they said she would still deploy and her kid would be placed in foster care. I've already documented the fact the Military already uses foster care. Can I say that is what would have happened for 100%? Obviously no. However, I'm confident there is a very good chance it would have happened and if this was like deployments I've been on her Unit would have been ordered to show up at the staging area and stayed there for 2-4 days before actually boarding the aircraft. So, she would still be on the ground when her Unit made arrangements for foster care.

Forum List

Back