UN without the US?

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
OK, here's a questions for everyone:

Has the UN ever accomplished anything worthwhile without the US being involved?

This is meant as a historical question, not a 'the-UN-is-worthless' type of rhetorical question.

Anyone?

QUOTE]Originally posted by gop_jeff
OK, here's a questions for everyone:

Has the UN ever accomplished anything worthwhile without the US being involved?

This is meant as a historical question, not a 'the-UN-is-worthless' type of rhetorical question.

Anyone?
[/QUOTE]

lol I did a g00gle search and found stuff the kind people at fox don't tell me :*( I'm not exactly sure how many of these are done without US help though, that'd take me forever to find if I looked specifically for it

Establishing Peace & Promoting Democracy
Ending Conflicts. The U.N. has negotiated 172 peaceful settlements, helping bring about an end to the Iran-Iraq war, the civil war in El Salvador, and withdrawal of Soviet troops from Afghanistan.

Peacekeeping. In El Salvador, Cambodia, Macedonia, Mozambique, Namibia, Cyprus and Haiti, to name a few, U.N. peace operations have helped uphold ceasefires, conduct free and fair elections, monitor troops withdrawals, deter violence, create free countries, and aid political stability.

Preventing Nuclear Proliferation. The International Atomic Energy Agency has helped minimize the spread of nuclear weapons by inspecting and monitoring nuclear reactors and facilities in 90 countries. The U.N. has also advanced arms control through international agreements such as the Chemical Weapons Convention and the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

Eradicating Disease & Famine
Ending Smallpox & Polio. A 13-year effort by World Health Organization (WHO) succeeded in eradicating smallpox in 1980. WHO also helped wipe out polio from the Western Hemisphere.

Universal Immunizations. In 1974, only five percent of children in developing countries were immunized against polio, tetanus, measles, whooping cough, diphtheria and tuberculosis. By 1995, as a result of the efforts of United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the WHO, there was an 80% immunization rate, saving the lives of over 3,000,000 children each year.

Alleviating Chronic Hunger and Rural Poverty. The U.N. has provided famine relief to millions of people. The International Fund for Agricultural Development had developed a system of providing economic credit for poor and marginalized groups, benefiting over 230 million people in nearly 100 developing countries and building longer-term hunger relief.

Protecting People & Resources
Helping Refugees. In 1996, 27 million refugees, mostly women and children, receive food, shelter, medical aid, education and repatriation assistance from the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees.
Environment. Through international treaties, the U.N. leads efforts to protect the ozone layer and curb global warming. Forestry action plans help limit deforestation and promote sustainable forestry practices for 90 countries. The U.N. has helped provide safe drinking water for 1.3 billion people in rural areas, and has on-going efforts to help prevent over-fishing and clean up pollution.
Improving Female Literacy. U.N. programs to help promote education and advancement for women helped raise their literacy rate in developing countries from 36% in 1970 to 56% in 1990.

And in your search - did you find that the US was no help in any of these things? I think not!

Originally posted by Joan
And in your search - did you find that the US was no help in any of these things? I think not!

well, one of them is promoting world peace. The US was definitely NO HELP in any of that :)

Yeah right asshole - wake up and get a life why don't ya

Originally posted by Joan
Yeah right asshole - wake up and get a life why don't ya

Yes, I'll head back to France to go hangout with my fellow ragheads, and also I'll practice paganism and attend US-IS-THE-GREAT-SATAN sermons

:rolleyes:

But seriously, getting back on topic. The United Nations was created because the world got raped from two world wars in only thirty years, and the U.S. was a influential founding member, but why do Americans all of a sudden feel like if the UN (the world body) doesn't work in their favor, they think it shouldn't exist?

Originally posted by rtm
Yes, I'll head back to France to go hangout with my fellow ragheads, and also I'll practice paganism and attend US-IS-THE-GREAT-SATAN sermons

:rolleyes:

And then please commit Hari-Kiri

You just do that - give the rest of us with some common sense a break!

Oh this guy is precious. First of all my foolish little friend, if it were not for the US you would be speaking German, rest assured. Second you consider the UN a humanitarian organization, is this the same one that turned their backs while millions were killed in Africa? Or is this the organization that cannot account for millions of dollars from the Iraq oil for food program. Get Real !

Oh brother, a true WANKER from France! no wonder! and a raghead no less!!!!

Originally posted by eric
Oh this guy is precious. First of all my foolish little friend, if it were not for the US you would be speaking German, rest assured. Second you consider the UN a humanitarian organization, is this the same one that turned their backs while millions were killed in Africa? Or is this the organization that cannot account for millions of dollars from the Iraq oil for food program. Get Real !

You seem to forget, if it weren't for the Russians, the americans would be fighting the nazis on two fronts instead of one. America didn't do it all alone, no matter how sensical you tell yourself it is. Proof of that is the Vietnam, we went in alone without allies and people got killed. Do you also agree that America won World War 1?

Oh no, I did not forget, my family was there !

Vietnam, are you kidding me, do you know anything at all about history. If it were not for the politics involved vietnam would have lasted about a month. You try fighting a war with your hands tied behind your back.

The replies on to this message are just unbelievable. Someone asks what the UN has done with little or no US help, someone finds a rather impressive list, and then what? Is the mere fact that multilateralism can work, at least a bit, so repugnant? I can only hope that I misinterpreted a few people as being rude when they were just trying to be funny.

Someone mentioned Africa, presumably referring to Rwanda. Here the UN did try, and yes, was rather incompetent. But a very small number of Belgian and Canadian peacekeepers probably did stop thousands of other deaths. What a pity for the others that Rwanda has no oil.

Forum List

Back