Kucinich wants to repeal parts of Patriot Act

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by FlutePlayer, Oct 8, 2003.

1. FlutePlayer

FlutePlayer Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Democratic Presidential Candidate Dennis Kucinich has introduced legislation that would repeal more than 10 parts of the Patriot Act. Parts that would be repealed include warrantless searches and detentions & deportations of people. Kucinich has promised that if he's elected, he'll repeal the Patriot Act entirely.

2. Bry

Bry Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Very good for him. Thanks for the info and for my part, welcome.

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    That's great... we need fewer deportations in this country. [/sarcasm]

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    warrantless searches, great. get rid of them.

deportations? I look at it this way. I'm already having to compete with people in India, Russia, Singapore, and Mexico for jobs that used to pay decent, I don't need to continue competing with illegals in this country too.

5. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I am no supporter of Dennis Kucinich. But, a huge but I might add, I am no supporter of the so called Patriot Act either. I love freedom and I love the enforcement of laws. The Patriot Act limits my freedom and enforces laws that are contradictory to the American Dream and purpose and overall ideology. To relinquish our freedoms in the name of fighting terrorism is to play directly into the hands of the terrorists. We must fight terrorism and I have no problem with that. We must not allow politicians to usurp their powers and abrogate our freedoms in the name of some obscure reasoning for societal restriction and we certainly must not allow laws to be passed for the political benefit of those attempting to restrict and ultimately control American ideology.

Patriot Act, what a freaking joke on American freedoms. I take that back. It's NO FREAKING JOKE!!!!!!!!!!

6. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I'm no Kucinich supporter either, but the Patriot Act is a massive repeal of Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms. John Ashcroft is a major threat to American freedom. Giving him anymore authority is like handing a gun to criminal. He'll use it, and he'll use it to hurt people.

7. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    What freedoms, specifically, have you lost since the enactment of the Patriot Act?

8. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    you have to ask that, knowing the case of jose padilla?

how about the 'sneak and peek' searches?

The rights to due process can be removed at the whim of one person. Now, I could be wrong, but isn't that part of the reason we broke away from a monarchy in the 1700's?

9. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    And the new restrictions are to be used to prevent future terrorism. Do you have any ties whatsoever to terrorism? Have any freedoms been taken away from YOU? How have these changes affected your daily routine?

10. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    many great leaders in our history have said things that apparently don't mean anything to people nowadays.

people like ben franklin when he said that those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither, or martin luther king jr. when he said that when we let ONE persons freedoms, liberties, and rights get trampled on, ALL our rights are trampled on.

It shouldn't matter that I, personally, have not had any freedoms taken away. If its possible that it can happen to even ONE person then it can happen to anyone. THATS what we should all be aware of and prevent.