To Declaw or not declaw

that is the question.

Back in February, I got a new cat to replace my companion of 15 years.

I didn't declaw the old cat because he was sufficiently mellow to where that wasn't an issue.

this new cat, while affectionate, seems to like to use it's claws whenever possible- on the furniture, on me, etc.

I'm reluctant to declaw, but obviously, the damage the animal is doing is going to set me back quite a bit, and there is always the liability if she claws a guest.

If you are even considering it you are a piece of shit who doesn't deserve to have a pet of any sort.

Well, since the other option (if none of the other options work) is sending her back to the shelter and having her put to sleep. ...

You shouldn't have taken a cat you cannot care for, you fucking irresponsible idiot.

god is a great deterrent..... well that is what i call it anyway... lol....he comes in the from of a spray bottle. Put the bottle on stream...don't say anything... just spray away when you catch him in the act. Have a bottle for every room.

Doing anything after the fact... they just look at you and don't understand.

They make special nail cutters...don't use human fingernail clips.

Spray bottles aren't always effective. I had a cat that would simply flatten his ears and close his eyes until you were done squirting. Then is was right back to whatever he wanted to do.

LOL! We do have one little torti who is the sweetest, most gentle cat in the world... but she is stubborn. Sometimes she likes to tease my husband by standing up behind my chair and putting her claws into the fabric. She doesn't claw the fabric, just hooks on and stares right at him. He grabs the squirt bottle and her trick is to try and run out of reach before he can use it... but sometimes she just squinches her eyes shut and basically says, "hit me with your best shot." She looks so funny that he cracks up, puts the bottle away, and she wanders off, dejected because her game ended.

But with the other two, just reaching for the bottle is enough for them to instantly stop the behavior. Instantly! :D

Last edited:
I will add my advice to the other excellent comments here.

Please do not declaw unless the only option is giving the cat back to the shelter. Sticky tape, cat repellent sprays, all these things can help. Talk to the vet for other options.

We rescued an adult cat from the roof of a supermarket many years ago. She was our first cat ever, and she shredded our furniture. No big deal, we thought, we'll get her declawed. Only after the fact did we discover that declawing is like cutting off your fingers at the first knuckle.

Outside, a declawed cat is totally defenseless, and will not live to see out the year. Please, try using tape, repellent, providing sisal scratching posts next to her favorate scratching locations (put a couple of cat treats on the base of it). Lots of stuffed mice and cat toys to alleviate boredome.

Never, ever hit your cat... not its paws, not its rump... just don't. The cat will become fearful and hand-shy, and may end up being a biter/fighter every time you go to pet or touch it. Cats are fragile creatures, and they know it. Please. Gentle love will gain your cat's trust, and once it realizes that the sisal posts are much better for scraping the dead husks off their claws that flimsy furniture (which you have protected with tape), there will not be a problem.

Let us know how it goes.
Outside, a declawed cat is totally defenseless, and will not live to see out the year.

Boy do I beg to differ on that claim. First it's unproven, it's a construct of the no declawing crowd, second every one of our cats go outside under supervision, it hasn't stopped them from catching mice, moles, birds, etc or hold their own in the rare fight with neighbor's cats who are clawed. Not to mention our youngest 6 year old has chased dogs, including German shepherds out of the yard.

Sorry, Ringel05, but that's not the norm. If a dog really came at the cat and the cat batted him with her soft little declawed paws, the dog would just grab her. Same with other cats. I know that your experience has been good, but it's not how things usually work out for a declawed cat outside.

Like I said we only declaw the front and they still know how to use the rear ones. I also know quite a few others that have or have had declawed cats that run loose and never have any problems. Matter of fact what killed a couple that I know of were cars and disease, not other animals. Peta has always and still does tell lies concerning quite a few aspects of pet ownership, don't listen to them.

don't declaw. The claws are part of their feet, and they need them not only for protection but for balance and traction. If you can't handle a cat's claws you probably shouldn't have a cat.

Yes they can tear up the furniture over time. Again, if you aren't up for it, get a stuffed animal.

If you are even considering it you are a piece of shit who doesn't deserve to have a pet of any sort.

Well, since the other option (if none of the other options work) is sending her back to the shelter and having her put to sleep. ...

You shouldn't have taken a cat you cannot care for, you fucking irresponsible idiot.

Try reading a few posts first Unkotare. Joe hasn't declawed yet and is leaning toward not doing it. He was asking opinions before making an informed decision. You on the other hand, just flew off the handle.

Lol..but I did kinda laugh at that post.

I mean probably it's not going to make any difference to this particular cat, and it's the OP's cat to do as he pleases with.

But hind claws don't replace front claws...to use its back claws, a cat has to be on it's back or actually being held, and that's not a good place for a cat to me.

I know they can be very destructive over time; my mom has two kitties she's had for years, and her furniture is toast...but that's just part of the territory. When you see where they're going to claw, you can buy silicone or plastic things to protect those spots...

If the cat is older than six months, don't even consider declawing. For a young cat, it seems to make little difference to mine as a indoor cat (front only). Daisy is 17.

Outside, a declawed cat is totally defenseless, and will not live to see out the year.

Boy do I beg to differ on that claim. First it's unproven, it's a construct of the no declawing crowd, second every one of our cats go outside under supervision, it hasn't stopped them from catching mice, moles, birds, etc or hold their own in the rare fight with neighbor's cats who are clawed. Not to mention our youngest 6 year old has chased dogs, including German shepherds out of the yard.

I'd have to agree there.

My brother gave me his cat to babysit for a week while he went to Wisconsin. First night the cat is here, he busts his way out of my apartment by pushing out a screen. Since we have coyotes in the area, I figured this poor cat was toast, and I'd never live this down.

(My brother was unconcerned. He said to his wife, "That cat will break out of Joey's apartment before we get to the cabin.")

Four week later, one of my neighbors caught this cat, identified him though the chip in his butt, and called my brother to come pick it up.

And this cat was declawed both front and rear...

FOr anyone concerned, I'm probalby not going to declaw my little friend. I agree that's too harsh. I'm going to work this out.

But I'm amused that we are horrified at the thought of declawing cats, but pay no mind to castrating them.

Sorry, you gave me a choice between my fingertips and my 'nads... I go with keeping the 'nads.

That's because you grasp the consequences. And it's unlikely you walk on your hands.

Cats don't use their balls to walk and run. They do use their claws.

Last edited:
[...]

Never, ever hit your cat... not its paws, not its rump... just don't. The cat will become fearful and hand-shy, and may end up being a biter/fighter every time you go to pet or touch it.

I must respectfully advise that you are quite wrong about that -- and I speak from considerable experience. Anyone who has ever watched a mother cat weaning her litter knows that mama cat doesn't hesitate to thump the daylights out of a misbehaving kitten. The simple fact is as long as you show the cat the appropriate amount of affection when it's being good there will be no doubt in its mind about when and why it's being swatted. Cats are not stupid. Far from it.

The simple trick is a little pain when you're bad and a lot of love when you're good. They get the idea pretty quick. Your comment suggests that you are a spoiling mama, which is not good.

Cats are fragile creatures, and they know it.
Cats are far from fragile. They are very hardy creatures. And I hope you don't think I've recommended using a blackjack on them or striking for a knockout. A swat. Just enough to let them know you're angry and not playing.

PS: My three girls all got a red ass now and then when they had it coming and they've all turned out just fine. Same with cats. As long as they get a lot of love when they're good a little whack when they're bad will not traumatize them.

And I don't care what any "professional" has to say about that.

Try reading a few posts first Unkotare. Joe hasn't declawed yet and is leaning toward not doing it. He was asking opinions before making an informed decision. You on the other hand, just flew off the handle.

I read them, thanks. If he's thinking about it he's a douchebag who doesn't deserve to have a pet of any kind. If he doesn't do it he's still a douchebag, just not for this particular reason.

[...]

Never, ever hit your cat... not its paws, not its rump... just don't. The cat will become fearful and hand-shy, and may end up being a biter/fighter every time you go to pet or touch it.

I must respectfully advise that you are quite wrong about that -- and I speak from considerable experience. Anyone who has ever watched a mother cat weaning her litter knows that mama cat doesn't hesitate to thump the daylights out of a misbehaving kitten. The simple fact is as long as you show the cat the appropriate amount of affection when it's being good there will be no doubt in its mind about when and why it's being swatted. Cats are not stupid. Far from it.

The simple trick is a little pain when you're bad and a lot of love when you're good. They get the idea pretty quick. Your comment suggests that you are a spoiling mama, which is not good.

Cats are far from fragile. They are very hardy creatures. And I hope you don't think I've recommended using a blackjack on them or striking for a knockout. A swat. Just enough to let them know you're angry and not playing.

PS: My three girls all got a red ass now and then when they had it coming and they've all turned out just fine. Same with cats. As long as they get a lot of love when they're good a little whack when they're bad will not traumatize them.

You're a fucking loser who deserves a good beating.

never declaw...

get the cat a scratching post/cat condo ...

kittycastle2.jpg
Jillian,

That is a magnificent cat condo. Must have cost at least $150.

My brother made one for us when we lived in Brooklyn. It had four levels and was 6-1/2' tall. But it didn't look as plush as the one in your picture. That one is skillfully carpeted.

I still think it's sort of funny (unkotare's posts)..

I have to say, I've never heard the liability argument in regards to cats scratching before. I've never heard of anyone have a cat scratch lawsuit.

But maybe I've led a sheltered life, lol...

Guy, you need to seriously get your anger issues under control. They'll never show you the secret handshake if you keep swearing like that.

It would have been nice if the shelter had been a lot more upfront about this animal's history, that she had been thrown out of her last home because it fought with other cats or that they had kept it locked in a cage for five months.

[...]

And you're just the internet tough guy to do it, right? Not. Why don't you go do yourself a favor (and everybody else in the process) and hug a wild grizzly bear, tell him how much you love him.
Hell. I'd pay money to see that.

Last edited:

Guy, you need to seriously get your anger issues under control. They'll never show you the secret handshake if you keep swearing like that.

It would have been nice if the shelter had been a lot more upfront about this animal's history, that she had been thrown out of her last home because it fought with other cats or that they had kept it locked in a cage for five months.

YOU are (almost) the human being in this relationship. If you could not responsibly care for the cat you should not have taken it, you fucking punk.

And you're just the internet tough guy to do it, right? .

I'm sure almost anyone could do it. The important point is about him deserving it. If you want to spoon with him and make him feel better about that go ahead but keep it to yourselves.

Are you this nasty in real life or do you save it for the internet?

Forum List

Back