To Declaw or not declaw

Whatever the hell that means...

Well Einstein it's simple. No one here even remotely claimed to abuse or talked about abusing animals except in your fucked up rational (if it can be called rational) which means all you succeeded in doing was making a complete ass out of yourself and painting a target on your back that reads, "kick me".
So go back to your PETA and ALF meetings and cry into your chai about how evil humans are.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
that is the question.

Back in February, I got a new cat to replace my companion of 15 years.

I didn't declaw the old cat because he was sufficiently mellow to where that wasn't an issue.

this new cat, while affectionate, seems to like to use it's claws whenever possible- on the furniture, on me, etc.

I'm reluctant to declaw, but obviously, the damage the animal is doing is going to set me back quite a bit, and there is always the liability if she claws a guest.

I'm a cat lover and have always had cats. Get them declawed and nuetered early on and keep them inside. Everyone will be happy.

Whatever the hell that means...

Well Einstein it's simple. No one here even remotely claimed to abuse or talked about abusing animals.

Bullshit.

Ya know you really shouldn't call yourself names like that, idiot, moron and asshole fit much better.
As for you're intended response..... prove where you can claim abuse, not your fucked up opinion of abuse but real provable abuse or STFU.

Bullshit.

Ya know you really shouldn't call yourself names like that, idiot, moron and asshole fit much better. .

I'm sure you've got loads of experience fitting assholes, but that is not the topic of this thread, skidmark.

You made it so initially when you attacked Joe for no reason other than your perception of animal abuse by him. Now you've chosen to ignore the rest of my post, since you obviously know I'm right and you continue to chose deflection and attack, not that you have the wit to do so effectively.
Okay shit for brains prove to everyone here you're not the petty little prick you're making yourself out to be. Prove to everyone here that you really can lever your head out of your ass, even if only temporarily. Come on you little control freak, ya got a big mouth on the internet, Mr tough guy, prove you're not some little pussy living in you parent's basement. Come on, learn to use that atrophied brain of yours (what little there was originally) and use it to prove you're not as patently pathetic as you continually show yourself to be.

For those who think you love cats, and then you declaw them and keep them indoors...you don't love cats. You love the idea that you love cats.

I have six cats, two on purpose, four are rescues. They all have their claws, I just don't bother to buy brand new, nice furniture because it might cause strife if they claw it. Generally, they're pretty good, but they will occasionally scratch on a chair or the couch. I find that you can order really nice slipcovers to rejuvenate old furniture. I go to slipcovershop.com, they're great and quite reasonable. Anyway, it's a good solution to keeping my house looking nice.

I have quite a large yard, and I had it fenced with black chain link, 6' tall because of my Dobermans. At the top of the fence I have barb arms, pointing INWARD at 45 degrees. Across the top of that I have secured plastic netting that then hangs down. What this does is the cats can't get out of the yard. I researched quite a bit before deciding what to do, and it has worked for years now. They CANNOT get out. I wrapped some copper flashing around my tree trunks, that keeps the cats from climbing the tree trunks and getting out that way. You get the picture. So they get to have an outdoor experience, sneak around in the bushes, chase bugs, bask in the sun, etc. without the danger of getting hit by cars, getting lost, getting in cat fights or being killed by dogs.

And it's not that I love cats soooo much...it's just the decent thing to do. I have all this power over what kind of experience they have in this life. I take that very seriously. I feel it is my responsibility to provide them the best possible life experience, including being able to go outdoors safely and getting to keep their claws.

I think Unkotare feels actual anguish for animals who suffer, and that's why he gets so angry. I understand that kind of empathy with animals because I feel it too.

Last edited:
I want to apologize to everyone for Ukypuke hijacking this thread.

I also want to thank everyone, pro and con who gave me their honest opinions about declawing.

For the moment, I'm inclined against declawing. I will try to modify the animals behavior using advice I've gotten here and elsewhere on line.

All you people who think you love cats, and then you declaw them and keep them indoors...you don't love cats. You love the idea that you love cats.

I have six cats, two on purpose, four are rescues. They all have their claws, I love them so much I just don't bother to buy brand new, nice furniture because it might cause strife if they claw it. Generally, they're pretty good, but they will occasionally scratch on a chair or the couch. I find that you can order really nice slipcovers to rejuvenate old furniture. I go to slipcovershop.com, they're great and quite reasonable. Anyway, it's a good solution to keeping my house looking nice.

I have quite a large yard, and I had it fenced with black chain link, 6' tall because of my Dobermans. At the top of the fence I have barb arms, pointing INWARD at 45 degrees. Across the top of that I have secured plastic netting that then hangs down. What this does is the cats can't get out of the yard. I researched quite a bit before deciding what to do, and it has worked for years now. They CANNOT get out. I wrapped some copper flashing around my tree trunks, that keeps the cats from climbing the tree trunks and getting out that way. You get the picture. So they get to have an outdoor experience, sneak around in the bushes, chase bugs, bask in the sun, etc. without the danger of getting hit by cars, getting lost, getting in cat fights or being killed by dogs.

And it's not that I love cats soooo much...it's just the decent thing to do. I have all this power over what kind of experience they have in this life. I take that very seriously. I feel it is my responsibility to provide them the best possible life experience, including being able to go outdoors safely and getting to keep their claws.

Your house sounds lovely. :lol:

All you people who think you love cats, and then you declaw them and keep them indoors...you don't love cats. You love the idea that you love cats.

I have six cats, two on purpose, four are rescues. They all have their claws, I love them so much I just don't bother to buy brand new, nice furniture because it might cause strife if they claw it. Generally, they're pretty good, but they will occasionally scratch on a chair or the couch. I find that you can order really nice slipcovers to rejuvenate old furniture. I go to slipcovershop.com, they're great and quite reasonable. Anyway, it's a good solution to keeping my house looking nice.

Your house sounds lovely. :lol:

It is. There isn't a bunch of clawed up furniture sitting around, if that's what you mean. :lol:

I'll post a picture later.

Thank you Dr Spock for that perceptual obtrusion, you observation will be given due consideration.

438600-Cartoon-Man-Wearing-A-Tie-On-His-Head-And-Tossing-Trash.jpg

I want to apologize to everyone for Ukypuke hijacking this thread.

I also want to thank everyone, pro and con who gave me their honest opinions about declawing.

For the moment, I'm inclined against declawing. I will try to modify the animals behavior using advice I've gotten here and elsewhere on line.

Well bless you in your travels. I had Hershey 12 years declawed and and awesome. I'm looking at my babies now, not declawed and my couch is starting to look like crap and we're talking only a few months here (since I brought the couch in). They are 6 years old. I've been trying every other method to beat the band.

I have to figure this too. I won't give them up. I love them to death.

Last edited:
Funny cat story.

My last cat would always crouch and skulk at the patio door when he saw birds, rabbits, whatever. Then he started getting upity because he saw a pair of Canada Geese. So I figure, "Okay, smart guy, go ahead and try it." and opened the screen for him.

He got about halfway to the geese before he realized he miscalculated the whole cat/Goose size ratio thing. Watching him slink back was kind of amusing. He gave me a look like "Close the door. Close the door, dammit!"

Forum List

Back