To Declaw or not declaw

Who cares? Do you? It would be nice if someone, just once, would try to stick to the topic at hand instead of always making it about the poster.

Maybe that's impossible in this venue.

Well, since the other option (if none of the other options work) is sending her back to the shelter and having her put to sleep. ...

You shouldn't have taken a cat you cannot care for, you fucking irresponsible idiot.

Are you this nasty in real life or do you save it for the internet?

What, with people who are unnecessarily cruel to animals? This is me being restrained.

You shouldn't have taken a cat you cannot care for, you fucking irresponsible idiot.

What, with people who are unnecessarily cruel to animals? This is me being restrained.

I kind of get where you're coming from, actually. I've seen just a bit too much of animal cruelty lately, and I get very worked-up about it, too. Actually, there have been instances when I would have liked someone like you around. As long as we managed to stay out of jail, that is.

Blithely discussing whether or not a cat's claws should be amputated, along with its toes, is a bit much to take. I understand. But people need to be educated. I don't have time right now, but me (or someone) should post one of those pictures that shows the anatomy of a cat's foot and how the claws are not just like our fingernails...they are interconnected with the toe structure which is why the last joint of the toes must be amputated to get them off.

But it's not just the brutality of the procedure, which is quite painful to recuperate from. You're taking something essential away from the cat, which is why many declawed cats become biters.

I wonder if he's thought of the liability if this cat bites one of his guests. I think I'd get new guests who didn't make me feel like they'll sue me for any little thing.

You're a fucking loser who deserves a good beating.

And you're just the internet tough guy to do it, right? .

I'm sure almost anyone could do it. The important point is about him deserving it. If you want to spoon with him and make him feel better about that go ahead but keep it to yourselves.

Spooning with him has nothing to do with anything. Pointing out you're a major asshole..... priceless..........

that is the question.

Back in February, I got a new cat to replace my companion of 15 years.

I didn't declaw the old cat because he was sufficiently mellow to where that wasn't an issue.

this new cat, while affectionate, seems to like to use it's claws whenever possible- on the furniture, on me, etc.

I'm reluctant to declaw, but obviously, the damage the animal is doing is going to set me back quite a bit, and there is always the liability if she claws a guest.

While I'm not a fan of declawing, I feel your pain. I've had up to six cats in my home at one time and I couldn't bring myself to declaw them. Now of the three that are left, they go nuts with the scratching. What I did, however, was to put a runner on the floor, that was made out of coarse material like what they go for. Then I put fresh catnip in a small pile on it, once a day. Now they don't scratch furniture so much. The drawback is, I think they're junkies now.:lol: Try that, if it doesn't work, then you have to do, what you have to do. But PLEASE don't do the back claws. I've seen idiots do that and it's agony for the cats. If you need to see what I mean, the next time your back itches, try scratching it with a sock. Hope this helps.

Well, since the other option (if none of the other options work) is sending her back to the shelter and having her put to sleep. ...

If he's this nasty in person I image he spends much of his life sipping liquids through his missing teeth with his jaw wired shut. ;)

Oh BS, my cat was up and moving about the same day. I did request pain meds.

Anybody who doesn't pay for the pain meds after this procedure is, in fact, an asshole.

Your cat was up and moving thanks to the pain meds and residual effects of stuff they gave them for the surgery. When those meds start wearing off, you bet they feel pain. They just handle it much, much better than humans do.

Boy do I beg to differ on that claim. First it's unproven, it's a construct of the no declawing crowd, second every one of our cats go outside under supervision, it hasn't stopped them from catching mice, moles, birds, etc or hold their own in the rare fight with neighbor's cats who are clawed. Not to mention our youngest 6 year old has chased dogs, including German shepherds out of the yard.

Sorry, Ringel05, but that's not the norm. If a dog really came at the cat and the cat batted him with her soft little declawed paws, the dog would just grab her. Same with other cats. I know that your experience has been good, but it's not how things usually work out for a declawed cat outside.

Like I said we only declaw the front and they still know how to use the rear ones. I also know quite a few others that have or have had declawed cats that run loose and never have any problems. Matter of fact what killed a couple that I know of were cars and disease, not other animals. Peta has always and still does tell lies concerning quite a few aspects of pet ownership, don't listen to them.

Bingo. Hershey our chocolate point siamese was declawed with her front paws. Hells bells she could club you to death with her front paws and still nuke you in a grapple hold with her back feet shredding you to death.

People who say declawing is barbaric fail to realize that ripping out the uterous or deballing a male might be just a tad barbaric as well.

Come on people. Ouch. But if we declaw and more people could live with cats, all the better than death for cats because they clawed a couch.

My cats have been the most amazing beasties. Whatever we can do to make them part of an indoor world and full of love is a good thing.

Neutering, from the Latin neuter (of neither sex[1]), is the removal of an animal's reproductive organ, either all of it or a considerably large part. The process is often used in reference to males whereas spaying is often reserved for females. Colloquially, both terms are often referred to as fixing. While technically called castration for males, in male horses, the process is referred to as gelding.

Neutering is the most common sterilizing method in animals. In the United States, most humane societies, animal shelters and rescue groups (not to mention numerous commercial entities) urge pet owners to have their pets spayed or neutered to prevent the births of unwanted litters, contributing to the overpopulation of unwanted animals in the rescue

I laugh in your general direction. Which I presume is southeast. I just got done carrying in sheets of drywall two at a time up two flights of stairs this weekend. You might want to STFU. 5/8" cause 1/2" is for losers.

I laugh in your general direction. Which I presume is southeast. I just got done carrying in sheets of drywall two at a time up two flights of stairs this weekend. .

That's great. Keep humpin' your drywall and STFU.

Forum List

Back