This Is Why You Empty The Magazine

I believe in a standard protocol of simply handcuffing persons who seem intoxicated or may attempt to flee; regardless of any officer happening to have a bad attitude on any given day.
I thought you wanted to "end the war on crime" now you want cops to handcuff people?

Make up your mind

There were no handcuffs on the person, when down on the ground and it seemed the officer was on top of the person and "in control of the situation".
Apparently the guy took something out of the officers belt. What that is they don't say. Apparently the officer took this as a threat.

In my opinion the man is on PCP or some other drug.

I did not see where the man was threatening the officer with bodily harm. He obviously didn't have a weapon, other then maybe what he took from the officer.

Not being there, not being a police officer, not being the officer that was full of adrenalyn, I say it looks like excessive force. But that is just from watching a video, it needs to go through the process.
I believe anyone who seems intoxicated may be handcuffed as a simple precaution; maybe get a corporal or a sergeant involved.

Everyone gets cuffed. For their safety and the safety of the officers.

People can go from compliant to aggressive in less than a second.

Persons who might be susceptible to positional asphyxia (like passed out drunk) are sometimes cuffed in front.
There would have been no need to even draw a weapon, if the person had been handcuffed, earlier.

Apparently he was adverse to being cuffed.
It is not usually a request.

Never the less you made a statement based on incomplete facts. One based on your prejudice.

Um, no, I said "Silly Darkie, rights are for white people".

Hispanics still fall into the "Darkie" category.

Not cool to refer to people of colour as 'darkies'
Not cool to exclude, and isolate whites by forming a coalition of all non whites, under the banner "people of color". Or is it?
you usually don't have a problem when it is a color guard.

Would waiting for police backup or local armed militia, have been better?
Maybe, I don't know the facts, except the cop is a bad shot.

When I was on council one of the police officers fired at a car speeding away from a routine traffic stop. He said they tried to run him over. Obviously they didn't and I want the cop fired or at least disciplined. Neither happened.
There were no handcuffs on the person, when down on the ground and it seemed the officer was on top of the person and "in control of the situation".
Apparently the guy took something out of the officers belt. What that is they don't say. Apparently the officer took this as a threat.

In my opinion the man is on PCP or some other drug.

I did not see where the man was threatening the officer with bodily harm. He obviously didn't have a weapon, other then maybe what he took from the officer.

Not being there, not being a police officer, not being the officer that was full of adrenalyn, I say it looks like excessive force. But that is just from watching a video, it needs to go through the process.
I believe anyone who seems intoxicated may be handcuffed as a simple precaution; maybe get a corporal or a sergeant involved.
I agree, if there is time and the suspect cooperates, which does not seem to be the case in this situation.
Any lack of cooperation is a good time to ask for, "reinforcements". A local posse registry could work, in modern times.

Never the less you made a statement based on incomplete facts. One based on your prejudice.

Um, no, I said "Silly Darkie, rights are for white people".

Hispanics still fall into the "Darkie" category.

Not cool to refer to people of colour as 'darkies'
Not cool to exclude, and isolate whites by forming a coalition of all non whites, under the banner "people of color". Or is it?
you usually don't have a problem when it is a color guard.
Just the same old racism with a reverse, exclusionary twist. Gotta call em' out every time ya see it.

I believe in a standard protocol of simply handcuffing persons who seem intoxicated or may attempt to flee; regardless of any officer happening to have a bad attitude on any given day.
I thought you wanted to "end the war on crime" now you want cops to handcuff people?

Make up your mind
A local posse alert could have called any local, registered posse already armed in that local area. There would have been no need for the office to do anything other than detain the person for further processing.

But by what I saw he was a 90 pound weakling on drugs. I don't see him doing anything that looks like a threat. But that is me I am not the officer, I can not guess at his perception.

Not long ago, a visitor to our station, not a prisoner, decided to attempt to grab an officer's firearm. He was a larger, tall man and she was a tiny, little, middle-aged Asian woman. He could not break her grip on the holster and it ultimate took three officers to get her in cuffs.

Taking a person into custody is sometimes more difficult than it appears.

Make up your mind
A local posse alert could have called any local, registered posse already armed in that local area. There would have been no need for the office to do anything other than detain the person for further processing.

No, you want to end the war on crime and the war on drugs so a government law enforcement agent handcuffing a person for being intoxicated contradicts both of those philosophies.

My sweetie has a .357 as her self defense gun. The first round is ratshot, and the next 5 are MagSafe rounds. She knows to keep pulling the trigger, even after the rounds have all been fired. The forensics will show the primers hit more than once. Easier to prove she feared for her life in our home.

My sweetie has a .357 as her self defense gun. The first round is ratshot, and the next 5 are MagSafe rounds. She knows to keep pulling the trigger, even after the rounds have all been fired. The forensics will show the primers hit more than once. Easier to prove she feared for her life in our home.

I said the same thing to my wife. Her preferred gun is a Glock 26 Gen4 and I have no doubt she'd put all 10 rounds into anyone breaking in to our house

Forum List

Back