This Is Why You Empty The Magazine

Frequently, people don't go down after a single shot. Current training is to assess the threat between each shot until the threat is removed.

Not always easy to do under pressure

Right. LIke when LaQuan McDonald was lying on the ground, Jason Van Dyke had to reassess that 15 more times.

And shot anyway.

There are nearly a million sworn personnel in the country. I can't speak to the training standards of all of them.

Not every cop is a racist killer just as every white guy isn't a junk bond trader.

There is not enough context from the video to know why the officer felt the need to use, lethal force.
That is why we have a system of justice.
Would waiting for police backup or local armed militia, have been better?
Maybe, I don't know the facts, except the cop is a bad shot.

When I was on council one of the police officers fired at a car speeding away from a routine traffic stop. He said they tried to run him over. Obviously they didn't and I want the cop fired or at least disciplined. Neither happened.
There were no handcuffs on the person, when down on the ground and it seemed the officer was on top of the person and "in control of the situation".
Apparently the guy took something out of the officers belt. What that is they don't say. Apparently the officer took this as a threat.

In my opinion the man is on PCP or some other drug.

I did not see where the man was threatening the officer with bodily harm. He obviously didn't have a weapon, other then maybe what he took from the officer.

Not being there, not being a police officer, not being the officer that was full of adrenalyn, I say it looks like excessive force. But that is just from watching a video, it needs to go through the process.

There is not enough context from the video to know why the officer felt the need to use, lethal force.

When I was on council one of the police officers fired at a car speeding away from a routine traffic stop. He said they tried to run him over. Obviously they didn't and I want the cop fired or at least disciplined. Neither happened.
There were no handcuffs on the person, when down on the ground and it seemed the officer was on top of the person and "in control of the situation".
Apparently the guy took something out of the officers belt. What that is they don't say. Apparently the officer took this as a threat.

I did not see where the man was threatening the officer with bodily harm. He obviously didn't have a weapon, other then maybe what he took from the officer.

Not being there, not being a police officer, not being the officer that was full of adrenalyn, I say it looks like excessive force. But that is just from watching a video, it needs to go through the process.

That is why every shooting is reviewed by a board.

I believe anyone who seems intoxicated may be handcuffed as a simple precaution; maybe get a corporal or a sergeant involved.

So it looks like he pumped 7 bullets into an unarmed man.

silly darkie. Rights are for white people.

Justifiable shooting, and BTW, the perp is white.

He didn't look white to me. Furthermore, nothing in your article says that the officer was cleared, only that they were investigating.

Now, I'm sure that if no one had filmed it, they'd be spinning some fanciful tale...
he was a white dude look at his forearm after he lifted something off the cop's belt

Bad shot? From the perp's reaction it appeared the first shot was dead-on center mass.
Then why 6 more shots?

He didn't go down. Still a threat.

I believe anyone who seems intoxicated may be handcuffed as a simple precaution; maybe get a corporal or a sergeant involved.

Everyone gets cuffed. For their safety and the safety of the officers.

People can go from compliant to aggressive in less than a second.

Persons who might be susceptible to positional asphyxia (like passed out drunk) are sometimes cuffed in front.

There is video from another angle out...it shows the moron charging the police officer.

There is video from another angle out...it shows the moron charging the police officer.
Please provide the link. How can there be a video showing he does not charge him and one that does? Does not make sense. BUT, in the heat of the moment that maybe what the officer thought, and I don't blame him.

So when is the riot? Do we have to wait until the officer is cleared before getting our 10 finger discount at Walmart?

Bad shot? From the perp's reaction it appeared the first shot was dead-on center mass.
Then why 6 more shots?

the drugged up kid might have had something we don't see in his hands. But by what I saw he was a 90 pound weakling on drugs. I don't see him doing anything that looks like a threat. But that is me I am not the officer, I can not guess at his perception.

I agree, if there is time and the suspect cooperates, which does not seem to be the case in this situation.

Then why 6 more shots?

the drugged up kid might have had something we don't see in his hands. But by what I saw he was a 90 pound weakling on drugs. I don't see him doing anything that looks like a threat. But that is me I am not the officer, I can not guess at his perception.

He grabbed something off the officer's belt when he was down. Can't see what. Might have been pepper spray.

There are nearly a million sworn personnel in the country. I can't speak to the training standards of all of them.

Not every cop is a racist killer just as every white guy isn't a junk bond trader.

No, most cops are good guys, adn I've said that many times.

And then you have your one percent of bad apples they can't seem to get rid of.

I agree. Having watched the video several times now, I still have a tough time ruling in favor of the officer 100%.

I can see just a very short opportunity and change in the suspects body language where if the shots were fired even a half second sooner. . . it would have appeared to be more justified.

However, at the instant just before the first shot, it looked like the suspect finally saw the gun and might have been ready to stand down.

Just my 2 cents.

Persons who might be susceptible to positional asphyxia (like passed out drunk) are sometimes cuffed in front.
There would have been no need to even draw a weapon, if the person had been handcuffed, earlier.

There would have been no need to even draw a weapon, if the person had been handcuffed, earlier.

Apparently he was adverse to being cuffed.

Never the less you made a statement based on incomplete facts. One based on your prejudice.

Um, no, I said "Silly Darkie, rights are for white people".

Hispanics still fall into the "Darkie" category.

Not cool to refer to people of colour as 'darkies'
Not cool to exclude, and isolate whites by forming a coalition of all non whites, under the banner "people of color". Or is it?

Forum List

Back